PDA

View Full Version : Used Zaino Z-FX my Orient Blue baby today

alee
03-07-2002, 02:01 PM
http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/20020307/webfriendly.jpg

More pictures here (http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/20020307)

Cut work early today and decided to give the Zaino Z-FX a roll.

I washed the car with distilled water in a spray bottle beforehand. Then I did 2 coats of Z5, 1 coat of Z2, putting a layer of Z6 on before and after each coat. You do the math... that's a lot of ground to cover, and frankly I'm exhausted.

Was Z-FX worth it? Honestly? No. It did cut drying and curing time immensely, so if you're racing against the clock, maybe it'll be worth it to you. But, the results were just as shiny as if I used Zaino without Z-FX.

I'll keep using what I have, but as far as getting it again... I'll save my money. :)

Mike 325xi
03-07-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by alee

I washed the car with distilled water in a spray bottle beforehand. Then I did 2 coats of Z5, 1 coat of Z2, putting a layer of Z6 on before and after each coat. You do the math... that's a lot of ground to cover, and frankly I'm exhausted.

Was Z-FX worth it? Honestly? No. It did cut drying and curing time immensely, so if you're racing against the clock, maybe it'll be worth it to you. But, the results were just as shiny as if I used Zaino without Z-FX.

I'll keep using what I have, but as far as getting it again... I'll save my money. :)
Al, as always your car looks amazing...I am stunned at how shiny you manage to make that car every time...

You have to fix your picture page though...if you click on any thumbnail it blows up the same picture, the one you are showing on this page...

Great looking car as usual... I love O-Blue :thumb:

vexed
03-07-2002, 02:12 PM

I'm too busy to think of something clever:(
Car looks great but I'll stick with carnuba until I can ditch work early--not in this lifetime.:(

alee
03-07-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi
You have to fix your picture page though...if you click on any thumbnail it blows up the same picture, the one you are showing on this page...
Oops, Zaino fumes I guess. :D

It's fixed now.

Alex Baumann
03-07-2002, 02:19 PM

Oops, Zaino fumes I guess. :D

permanent marker :D

Mike 325xi
03-07-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by vexed

I'm too busy to think of something clever:(
Car looks great but I'll stick with carnuba until I can ditch work early--not in this lifetime.:(
Busy?? What happened did some thug beat up an old lady for her social security check and you have to think up a good "I had a horrible childhood defense??" :D :lmao:

alee
03-07-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
I was thining next week, I'd just get an Orient Blue marker and color all over my car. :thumb:

Mike 325xi
03-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann

That's right...Al did say it smelled like permanent marker...did you get the lab results back yet??

Maybe we will be able to order Al an O-Blue Sharpie for touching up stone chips :thumb:

Mike 325xi
03-07-2002, 02:25 PM

I was thining next week, I'd just get an Orient Blue marker and color all over my car. :thumb:
Damn it :mad: You beat me to it :mad:

vexed
03-07-2002, 02:28 PM

Busy?? What happened did some thug beat up an old lady for her social security check and you have to think up a good "I had a horrible childhood defense??" :D :lmao:

Was here until 8:30 last night.:mad: :mad:

It's called why delegating does not work.:mad:
Big brief due tomorrow, 2 more next week, I feel like a cubicle monkey.:( :(

Mike 325xi
03-07-2002, 02:37 PM

Was here until 8:30 last night.:mad: :mad:

It's called why delegating does not work.:mad:
Big brief due tomorrow, 2 more next week, I feel like a cubicle monkey.:( :(
I know the feeling, I have been here very late every night this week and getting here early too...

You know I was just bustin' your chops some..I know you're not a defense attorney.

But I did just post something for you in the off topic section...

vexed
03-07-2002, 02:44 PM

I know the feeling, I have been here very late every night this week and getting here early too...

You know I was just bustin' your chops some..I know you're not a defense attorney.

But I did just post something for you in the off topic section...

Hehehe.

I had to vent, I feel better now.:thumb: But it looks like that will be normal hours for a while.:( Last night I distracted myself by changing my signature pic, I tried about 4 different ones, I am waiting for Clem to bust me.:yikes:

Mike 325xi
03-07-2002, 02:49 PM

Hehehe.

I had to vent, I feel better now.:thumb: But it looks like that will be normal hours for a while.:( Last night I distracted myself by changing my signature pic, I tried about 4 different ones, I am waiting for Clem to bust me.:yikes:
Your pic is fine...maybe a little large for someone with slow connection but not overly so...not much bigger than mine is :dunno:

bol
03-07-2002, 03:23 PM

Your pic is fine...maybe a little large for someone with slow connection but not overly so...not much bigger than mine is :dunno:

I still think I have the best sig pic... but then again I am biased :thumb:

ALEX325i
03-07-2002, 03:25 PM
Oh, but that's all ZFX is for, right? I mean, cut curing time... I don't expect it to improve shine (like you need help in that dept. anyways :D)

vexed
03-07-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by bol

I still think I have the best sig pic... but then again I am biased :thumb:

You did a great job in keeping it compact, I need to take lower res pictures next time.

alee
03-07-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by ALEX325i
Oh, but that's all ZFX is for, right? I mean, cut curing time... I don't expect it to improve shine (like you need help in that dept. anyways :D)
If you read some of the BS on the autopia-carport.com forums, you'd walk away with the impression that Z-FX did more than cure faster.

Dr. Phil
03-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Absolutely beautiful Al:thumb:

ALEX325i
03-07-2002, 06:06 PM

If you read some of the BS on the autopia-carport.com forums, you'd walk away with the impression that Z-FX did more than cure faster.

Well, but if you read some of the BS on zainobros.com, you'll walk away with the right impression... :p

Al, now that I can see the pictures, one word: DAMN!!!

I'm all set now, this weekend should be fun... :D

http://members.roadfly.com/mosal01/P1010004.JPG

alee
03-07-2002, 06:21 PM
http://members.roadfly.com/mosal01/P1010004.JPG
Alex, the paint you get at Home Depot shouldn't be used on cars. :D

bmw325
03-07-2002, 06:36 PM
Alee-

I thought that was the only point of ZFX-- to speed up drying time. I'd think that would be a really good reason to stick w/ it, no? ITs nice to be able to finish the whole car in 1 day i would think.

alee
03-07-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by robg
I thought that was the only point of ZFX-- to speed up drying time. I'd think that would be a really good reason to stick w/ it, no? ITs nice to be able to finish the whole car in 1 day i would think.
Well, it depends on the marketing and hype you read... the autopia-carport.com forums are chock full of people saying stuff like it makes the finish harder, Z-FX makes it slicker, blah blah.

It makes a difference if you want to do 2 or 3 layers in the same day, but if you're just doing one, you don't need the the Z-FX. It's overkill, and it's way too expensive. Z5 alone dries in 45-1hr... with Z-FX, maybe 20-30min. Not a huge difference IMHO.

ALEX325i
03-07-2002, 07:01 PM

Alex, the paint you get at Home Depot shouldn't be used on cars. :D

No, no, no, sir... Those are Griot's Boar's Hair Detail Brushes. ;) See? :thumb:

http://members.roadfly.com/mosal01/P3070002.JPG

ALEX325i
03-07-2002, 07:04 PM

It makes a difference if you want to do 2 or 3 layers in the same day, but if you're just doing one, you don't need the the Z-FX. It's overkill, and it's way too expensive. Z5 alone dries in 45-1hr... with Z-FX, maybe 20-30min. Not a huge difference IMHO.

Well, yeah, but what about the curing time? To me, that's exactly what ZFX addresses... ;) I'd say Z5/Z2 dries in 20 minutes regardless here in FL ... :D

alee
03-07-2002, 07:07 PM
Well, yeah, but what about the curing time? To me, that's exactly what ZFX addresses... ;) I'd say Z5/Z2 dries in 20 minutes regardless here in FL ... :D
Curing time is just the time it takes for the polymers to crosslink and do their thing after you buff it off. If you're just doing 1 layer, I think it's irrelevant. If you're doing multiple layers, Z-FX would certainly help since you don't have to wait before putting on a second coat.

Of course, after 3 coats, buffing it off 3 times and 4 applications of Z6, I'm going to be in pain tomorrow. :(

alee
03-07-2002, 07:07 PM

No, no, no, sir... Those are Griot's Boar's Hair Detail Brushes. ;) See? :thumb:

http://members.roadfly.com/mosal01/P3070002.JPG
Suddenly I have that "gotta buy it" itch again. :)

ALEX325i
03-07-2002, 07:22 PM

Curing time is just the time it takes for the polymers to crosslink and do their thing after you buff it off. If you're just doing 1 layer, I think it's irrelevant. If you're doing multiple layers, Z-FX would certainly help since you don't have to wait before putting on a second coat.

Of course, after 3 coats, buffing it off 3 times and 4 applications of Z6, I'm going to be in pain tomorrow. :(

Sure, that's my understanding as well, and Zaino is a pain in the a$$ when it comes to that... It takes 24 hours for the polymers to crosslink and do their thing (LOL! :D) without ZFX. At least that's what Sal recommends in order to achieve GREAT results (I may be totatlly wrong on this one, but I swear I read that somewhere). Oh, and of course, I've always had multiple layers in mind... You know those swirl marks give me hard time... :(

ALEX325i
03-07-2002, 07:24 PM

Suddenly I have that "gotta buy it" itch again. :)

Damn Al, now I'm feeling guilty... :( :D I hear you... I wish there was no such thing as Griot's Garage (Alex throwing his catalogues out :D)

alee
03-08-2002, 04:55 AM
One more pic from this morning...

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/zfx7.jpg

:D

johnlew
03-08-2002, 05:09 AM

Sure looks nice Alee, but I'll but mine's just as shiny...just can't tell under all the dirt right now. I'll have to get to the "touchless" as soon as it clears up around here. Maybe get the "pink" stuff this time? j/k :D

alee
03-08-2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by johnlew
Maybe get the "pink" stuff this time? j/k :D
I love the pink stuff! Wonder if I can get that in the store? :D

Dr. Phil
03-08-2002, 05:15 AM

Al I'm almost speechless when I see these pics:thumb: You definately do pro level work. My hats off to you http://www.plauder-smilies.de/party/yelclap.gif

Any time you feel the pressing need to test your skill on a Touring, let me know the price and place:D

alee
03-08-2002, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
Any time you feel the pressing need to test your skill on a Touring, let me know the price and place:D
After I do it all over again today (low 70s today, why not? :D ) I'll have built up all the muscles I need to cover your enormous wagon. :D I may need a few extra gallons of Zaino products though. :thumb:

Mike 325xi
03-08-2002, 06:00 AM

Al...your car is amazing...that shine is incredible...looks great Al :thumb:

So that's where you park at work...hmmm...that background looks familiar!! Now I know where I will be spreading the birdseed for the pigeons!!:lmao:

Dr. Phil
03-08-2002, 06:04 AM

Al...your car is amazing...that shine is incredible...looks great Al :thumb:

So that's where you park at work...hmmm...that background looks familiar!! Now I know where I will be spreading the birdseed for the pigeons!!:lmao:
I think I even recognize that area, meet you there for lunch Mike:thumb: I'll bring some extra bread for the birds:D

Al,

You're not really going to re do your car today are you:dunno: If so, I'll meet you at Norristown to help with your admittance:confused:

alee
03-08-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
You're not really going to re do your car today are you:dunno: If so, I'll meet you at Norristown to help with your admittance:confused:
Maybe just 1 coat... it's an excuse to get some sunshine and fresh air. :D

Then maybe I'll move the seat all the way back, roll all the windows down, and sit in my car with the laptop, and surf away. :thumb:

alee
03-08-2002, 06:16 AM
Take this exit... it'll get you there faster. :thumb:

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/philly.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit outside next to my car, holding a baseball bat. :yikes: :D

Dr. Phil
03-08-2002, 06:40 AM

Maybe just 1 coat... it's an excuse to get some sunshine and fresh air. :D

Then maybe I'll move the seat all the way back, roll all the windows down, and sit in my car with the laptop, and surf away. :thumb:
Alee the Ultimate Posting Machine:eeps:

Mike 325xi
03-08-2002, 06:57 AM

Take this exit... it'll get you there faster. :thumb:

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/philly.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit outside next to my car, holding a baseball bat. :yikes: :D
Oh no...you have to remember I am very familar with the roads in University City...I will use the small roads to sneak up on your car, Idon't use the Vine St. Expy. So if you see a steel grey 325xi with birdseed bags in the trunk...well stop on out and we'll go get lunch together :thumb:

(hey Phil...while we are walking to lunch spread the birdseed under his car so he won't know it's there but the birds will still flock to his car :D )

alee
03-08-2002, 07:00 AM
Idon't use the Vine St. Expy.
Me neither... try again. :D

Dr. Phil
03-08-2002, 07:18 AM

Oh no...you have to remember I am very familar with the roads in University City...I will use the small roads to sneak up on your car, Idon't use the Vine St. Expy. So if you see a steel grey 325xi with birdseed bags in the trunk...well stop on out and we'll go get lunch together :thumb:

(hey Phil...while we are walking to lunch spread the birdseed under his car so he won't know it's there but the birds will still flock to his car :D )
Mike

Isn't there a sub place called Abner's near there:dunno: If so we could also stop by "Club Wizards" after lunch and have a few waiting for Al to show up at his car:confused: