PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Problem??

seanr1976
01-04-2009, 02:44 PM
I was merging onto a freeway a few days ago. I had switched into "sport" mode so I could get the car up to speed quickly. At the bottom of the ramp, I pressed the button to go back to automatic, and something went haywire with the transmission: the engine continued to run, but the transmission was no longer making the car move.

I was able to coast for a while, get over to the shoulder, and then shut the car down to await the tow truck. Like I said, the engine still runs, but I hear a whirring sound coming from it. Nothing 'clunks,' and I've already checked the tranny fluid--everything there is fine, and I don't see dirt in the fluid, either.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did I wreck the transmission, or is there a simple link between where the auto/manual button is and the transmission that I might have broken?

Any advice would be appreciated.

bimmer dot info
01-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Did you get a cel or a trans prog warning? Did the dash display indicate the correct gear?

Sounds like the trans might be slipping. The auto manual/button is electrical.

seanr1976
01-05-2009, 02:31 PM
no warning lights at all. should i just take the car to a transmission shop?

attack eagle
01-05-2009, 07:19 PM
just buy a 5 speed... after you confirm the pan filter/pick up isn;t clogged with gunk.

seanr1976
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys. I'll tow the car to a transmission shop in the coming weeks.