PDA

View Full Version : Problems with RunFlat Tires

rudman
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi,
I bought a 2008 BMW 328i Sedan with the Sports Package this past November and already one of my Run Flat tires had to be replaced because of a tiny screw that was imbedded. BMW told me it was not safe to patch the tire and drive on it since I had driven about 50 miles on the bad tire, and it cost me almost $500 for a new one and installation. In searching the Internet it appears that these RunFlats are a huge liability. They don't appear to last long, are extremely expensive to replace, and only get you an additional 50-100 miles if something does go wrong. I am considering selling them all on Craigslist since they are brand new and switching to non RunFlat tires like good quality Michelin's from Costco. Has anyone made the switch successfully for similar reasons and is this a problem for trading in the car later to BMW, or to get them to cover other things under warranty on the car if it needs service?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and feedback!

SJK
01-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I've had two of my RFT's plugged at discount tire after taking nails. No problems with either of them. Also, you can get the whole tire replace for $300 and change at Discount Tire. Never take it back to the dealer for a tire problem.

Having said that, there is a ton of info on moving to non-runflats on the board. Just do a search.

GinoDotCom
01-04-2009, 06:37 PM
If you search RFT's through this Forum, you'll shortly find out how un-popular they are. A lot of members have already swapped out the RFT's for NON RFT's and have been happy with the results, including myself. Your ride will get much smoother

w5lx
01-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Tire/Wheel Insurance is a MUST with runflat tires. I have replaced 2 of mine after 6000 miles due to pothole damage at no cost. The insurance has already more than paid for itself. I will not buy another car with runflats.

beshaw81
01-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Oftentimes, especially in city driving, the ride is much harsher than necessary. That being said, here's an interesting scenario that happened to me today:

I was driving at the speed limit of 45mph when I hit a pothole. From what I could see, it wasn't that deep, but it sure made a helluva lot of noise when the right side of my car hit it. I have the stock Bridgestone Potenzas that came on my 19in 230 style wheels. Now, that being said...did the runflats prevent my rim from being bent (a possible + about RFTS?) or did was the whole commotion unnecessary and could've been avoided had I had normal tires?

captainaudio
01-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Oftentimes, especially in city driving, the ride is much harsher than necessary. That being said, here's an interesting scenario that happened to me today:

I was driving at the speed limit of 45mph when I hit a pothole. From what I could see, it wasn't that deep, but it sure made a helluva lot of noise when the right side of my car hit it. I have the stock Bridgestone Potenzas that came on my 19in 230 style wheels. Now, that being said...did the runflats prevent my rim from being bent (a possible + about RFTS?) or did was the whole commotion unnecessary and could've been avoided had I had normal tires?

That's the Million Dollar Question.
I replaced the RFTs on my 335i. RFTs, Sport Suspension and New York City roads are not a good match as GinoDotCom and other New Yorkers have concluded. I have had to replace three tires, all of which were destroyed by NYC por holes, in 16,000 miles. I also had to replace one rim. I think one of the problems is the low profile tires. I have 18s but I see that there are a lot of posters here who have 19s. I have a friend who has a car similar to mine (2007 E93) but does not have the sport suspension and has the original Bridgestone RFTs. He drove my car a few months back and told me he felt that it had a smoother ride than his. I found this was good evidence of hos bad the RFTs are.

I am not sure what exactly the advantage of low profile tires is. Most of the posters here who go for 19s seem to be more interested in the looks than the performance. I am not sure what the ideal rim size is for a 3 series. Maybe there is someone here who can shed some light on the subject.

CA

07X3platinum
01-05-2009, 07:54 AM
If you switch to Non-run flats you will not have a problem with warranty repairs from BMW. The only case where it becomes an issue is if you leased the car. Then you would have to put Run Flat tires back on the car when the lease ends.

g2artist
01-05-2009, 10:27 AM
There are quite a few people on the forums that are very happy they had the run flats on when they did though!!!!!:thumbup:

rudman
01-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Duplicate, sorry!

rudman
01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Thank you everyone for your excellent feedback! Besides the expense of replacing these run flats and their tendency to easily puncture and wear, I have also experienced the noise and feeling every bump and imperfection in the road (San Francisco Bay Area). I have put my 17" Bridgestone Potenza RE050A II on Craigslist and in the Bimmerfest Classified, but I bet they will be very difficult to sell. I am looking at switching to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (in 17in because I would not know why or how to switch to another size). Costco has a sale on Michelin/$834 for the set after tax plus some type of 45,000 thread warranty that comes with the tires). For those who have made the switch to GFT's have there been any issues with needing re-alignmant or suspension problems? I would sure hate to have to take the car into the shop for these issues after all of this aggravation and expense in switching.. Also have a a compressor and puncture sealant for the trunk worked out OK for people without a spare GFT? Thanks again for the support! As you can read, I have a lot to learn about cars..

My car: 2008 328i BMW with the Sports Package

shopper19
01-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Ot

tobrien
01-10-2009, 08:16 AM
If you switch to Non-run flats you will not have a problem with warranty repairs from BMW. The only case where it becomes an issue is if you leased the car. Then you would have to put Run Flat tires back on the car when the lease ends.
I did chsnge out the run flats on an 06 330i due to horrible road noise, like the front bearings were going bad. When the car was turned in and CPO'd they did not have a problem since my replacements were Bridgestone Potenza RE-950, non run flats, but still meeting the requirement of OEM (Bridgestone tires with acceptable tread..

335ix09
02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
The Bridgestone Turanza's on my 09 335ix suck....period. I debated over buying this 50K+ auto because of the run flat's reputation and made the wrong choice. The Bridgestones ruin what would have been a superior automobile. I can't believe that BMW would put such crap tires on a vehicle that commands such a premium price.

DaveyDoesmore
02-09-2009, 05:05 PM
In regard to this RFT issue, has anyone had any experience with trading in their barely used runflats for new non-runflats from Discount Tires or another tire dealer? Just wondering what a tire dealer might give me for the almost new RFTs if I purchased new premium non RFT tires from them.

Shocktopus
02-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Tire/Wheel Insurance is a MUST with runflat tires. I have replaced 2 of mine after 6000 miles due to pothole damage at no cost. The insurance has already more than paid for itself. I will not buy another car with runflats.

I picked up my car on 12/20/08, and bought the tire/wheel insurance based on recommendations here. I usually decline all the addon crap.

Just had a new RFT put on on Friday at the dealers due to a puncture. $450, cost me zero.

I think that the tire/wheel insurance is so worthwhile to have on RFTs that it'll soon be withdrawn from the market.

Thanks, Bimmerfest.com! :thumbup:

ProfessorCook
02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
wrt the wheel size. Bigger wheels = smaller sidewalls. Smaller sidewalls = better cornering. So, bigger wheels = higher performance. Hence, people see big wheels and now equate them with an aggressive high performance look. So, people get big wheels to look cool without realizing that... smaller sidewalls = less capacity to absorb road defects. If you're running a car on superior pavement through a slalom course, 20" wheels will be wonderful. If you're driving in NYC, I recommend 16" wheels, lol. (Yes, 16" wheels will fit on a 328.) Actually, with some nice wheels, the 16" size can look pretty nice. You sacrifice the cornering, you gain in pothole management.

RFT can be found at a reasonable price from the Tire Rack.

RFT can be repaired safely if the damage is in the middle part of the tire. If there is potential sidewall damage, you're not supposed to repair them.

bushidoblade
02-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Well, I wish I read these post before I picked up my 09 335 last month, seems you cant add on the BMW tire warranty after you drive off the lot. Oh well, even TireRack.com has poor reviews of the stock RFT that come with it. By gf has a lexus IS250 w/RFT and her's are great! Low road noise and the bumps dont feel too harsh considering the large rims/low profile tires. Her's are Pirelli RFTs and they handle great. So I guess, if anything, you can replace your tires with Non RFTs or just go with another Brand like Pirelli RFTs.

GinoDotCom
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM
If you're driving in NYC, I recommend 16" wheels, lol. (Yes, 16" wheels will fit on a 328.) Actually, with some nice wheels, the 16" size can look pretty nice.

In theory, I happen to agree with you. 16inch wheels with huge sidewalls to combat those loveable NYC potholes. However in Theory, it also made sense to financially go with a Hyundai Tiburon instead of a BMW 335 in today's economy. I'm 27 and live in NY.....I wouldn't be caught dead driving a BMW coupe with 16's

Theoretically :thumbup:

Realistically :thumbdwn:

ProfessorCook
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
No argument there! (got the ZSP myself)

Kilgore Trout
02-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I have to point out that the profile numbers are a ratio score. Now, I know you guys are car types and are aware of that. But, the implication is that the actual sidewall height does not differ that much as your tires get wider. The difference between the 17 inches and 16 inches is about .5 inch in sidewall height. That is not a trivial number but shouldn't increase your risk of tire damage all that much.

The tire width may be a bigger issue. Those wide tires are going to absorb a lot from any disruptions in the road.

ONe last comment is that I know the roads in New York are bad, and I know BMW warns us about the dangers associated with low profile tires, but I think it is still ridiculous that they are selling a suspension/tire setup that can't possibly work in many American cities.

-=Hot|Ice=-
02-09-2009, 08:23 PM
You can get a new tire from Tire rack for really cheap. Check it out.

athen
02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
wrt the wheel size. Bigger wheels = smaller sidewalls. Smaller sidewalls = better cornering. So, bigger wheels = higher performance. Hence, people see big wheels and now equate them with an aggressive high performance look. So, people get big wheels to look cool without realizing that... smaller sidewalls = less capacity to absorb road defects. If you're running a car on superior pavement through a slalom course, 20" wheels will be wonderful. If you're driving in NYC, I recommend 16" wheels, lol. (Yes, 16" wheels will fit on a 328.) Actually, with some nice wheels, the 16" size can look pretty nice. You sacrifice the cornering, you gain in pothole management.

RFT can be found at a reasonable price from the Tire Rack.

RFT can be repaired safely if the damage is in the middle part of the tire. If there is potential sidewall damage, you're not supposed to repair them.

I agree completely.

IMO benefits and convenience and safety of the RFT tire outweigh the modest penalty in ride harshness.

Anyone (especially in a NYC, LA or CHI) get Roadside assistance to change a flat for a spare in less than an hour?

Or say you cannot wait the hour, due to a flight or a pre-trial settlement conference, or a dinner date. You're on the shoulder of the freeway, with the traffic whizzing by at 70+ mph. It's 15 degrees outside. The wind is howling. You're dressed in an expensive suit. You'd rather fumble with the jack, tools and spare, getting all that road grime all over your nice clothes? Possibly having to contend with a seized lugnut?

RFT's make the total operation of a BMW more dignified.

Fredric
02-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I agree completely.

IMO benefits and convenience and safety of the RFT tire outweigh the modest penalty in ride harshness.

Anyone (especially in a NYC, LA or CHI) get Roadside assistance to change a flat for a spare in less than an hour?

Or say you cannot wait the hour, due to a flight or a pre-trial settlement conference, or a dinner date. You're on the shoulder of the freeway, with the traffic whizzing by at 70+ mph. It's 15 degrees outside. The wind is howling. You're dressed in an expensive suit. You'd rather fumble with the jack, tools and spare, getting all that road grime all over your nice clothes? Possibly having to contend with a seized lugnut?

RFT's make the total operation of a BMW more dignified.

I tend to agree with this. My previous car (Saab) had regular tires, of course. Went shopping for a lot of stuff for a summer rental one July evening and noticed that a tire was flat. Had to unload everything from the trunk in order to get at the spare and jack. It was a sweaty, dirty operation. Luckily I discovered it while still at the mall, so it was not dangerous (except when the lug wrench slipped off a stuck bolt). Would not have liked doing that on the shoulder of a highway.

daily22ssv
02-03-2010, 09:32 PM
I hate the way it rides what is a good riding tire that will not give me a headache when driving in the city.

hpowders
02-04-2010, 05:30 AM
I bought the tire/wheel insurance BMW offered when I bought my 2007 328i. Luckily, I haven't had to use it as the 4 Bridgestone run flats have performed flawlessly over 16 months of use.

furby076
02-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Hi,
I bought a 2008 BMW 328i Sedan with the Sports Package this past November and already one of my Run Flat tires had to be replaced because of a tiny screw that was imbedded. BMW told me it was not safe to patch the tire and drive on it since I had driven about 50 miles on the bad tire, and it cost me almost $500 for a new one and installation. In searching the Internet it appears that these RunFlats are a huge liability. They don't appear to last long, are extremely expensive to replace, and only get you an additional 50-100 miles if something does go wrong. I am considering selling them all on Craigslist since they are brand new and switching to non RunFlat tires like good quality Michelin's from Costco. Has anyone made the switch successfully for similar reasons and is this a problem for trading in the car later to BMW, or to get them to cover other things under warranty on the car if it needs service?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and feedback!

You can replace runflats. Just two things to note: 1) If it's a hole in the sidewall you can't, and 2) if you get a flat make sure to put air in the tire and keep the PSI high. If the PSI goes low and you keep riding it then you can't repair it. I've repaired my runflat and have been riding on it for about 8 months

Buy yourself some tires from TireRack and keep them home. Instead of $500 you will pay about 120-150 per tire. Mounting/balance shouldn't cost more then what 30-40?

The dealership got you this time.

Runflats last a good amount of time. It all depends on your driving. The problem with switching: Lack of Spare Tire.

furby076
02-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Tire/Wheel Insurance is a MUST with runflat tires.

I disagree. Keeping two spare tires in your home which you ordered from TireRack is better insurance. You will always have those tires, and when your tires go bald you can use those. Talk about not wasting money. Insurance, say in medicine, is great because you will pay X in your lifetime, and if you need it (say for surgery) the amount you invested vs what you got out is dramatic. On the other hand - this tire insurance...you are paying a high price, have huge restrictions, and the cost of the replacement is not as expensive as the dealers watn you to believe. But go on, be a sucker, buy the dealers tires and insurance.

There are quite a few people on the forums that are very happy they had the run flats on when they did though!!!!!:thumbup:

Agreed.

GarySL
02-04-2010, 06:26 AM
You can repair runflats. Just two things to note: 1) If it's a hole in the sidewall you can't, and 2) if you get a flat make sure to put air in the tire and keep the PSI high. If the PSI goes low and you keep riding it then you can't repair it. I've repaired my runflat and have been riding on it for about 8 months

Buy yourself some tires from TireRack and keep them home. Instead of $500 you will pay about 120-150 per tire. Mounting/balance shouldn't cost more then what 30-40?

The dealership got you this time.

Runflats last a good amount of time. It all depends on your driving. The problem with switching: Lack of Spare Tire.

Fixed

rikwynn
02-06-2010, 11:39 AM
The thing with runflats that kills me is that BMW has essentially shifted the risk and cost associated with tires totally to us. There is no benefit to the owner of the car from runflats. They are harsh riding and unrepairable in many cases. BMW dont spend the money to put a spare and a jack in our cars like everyone else does...so they're happy with the deal. They are becoming masters at taking cost out of our cars (listen to a base radio in a 2010 car vs a 2007 car?) They dont care if you puncture a run flat tire 300 miles from home (the run flat is only good for 50-100 miles once punctured...BMW is so sorry you cant make it home) and then to add to the pain.... when you call for roadside assistance .....the guy in the truck can't do anything to help .....and when he tows you to the local BMW dealer they can't get to your car today....or if they can they rip you off $500/tire. BMW doesn't care if the local tire dealer doen't have the Conti run flat tire in stock that they put on the car and you then have to replace all 4 tires with another brand for $900 just to get home. Sound like Ive been victimized by the run flat tire myth huh? The only thing run flat tires do is save BMW money, design cost and weight. Its that simple. RFTs dont benefit the owner one iota. Not 1. The not having to change the tire thing when its flat is BS. Total BS. After being victimized once I now have a full wheel and tire with a jack kit in my trunk. I love my car but fool me once......

hpowders
02-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I guess I'm lucky-almost 19,000 miles on my Bridgestone RFT's and they seem as good as new. Of course, I don't drive like an immature maniac.

captainaudio
02-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I guess I'm lucky-almost 19,000 miles on my Bridgestone RFT's and they seem as good as new. Of course, I don't drive like an immature maniac.

In other words they rode like crap the day BMW put them on the car and they are still ride like crap.

CA

neapolitan
02-06-2010, 03:04 PM
In other words they rode like crap the day BMW put them on the car and they are still ride like crap.

CA

Hmmm... I actually liked the Bridgestone on supersmooth pavement, although they weren't that grippy (nowhere as good as performance slicks)... I could imagine if they redid the tread/rubber with performance summer treads, it would be ok despite the hard sidewall. I guess that would essentially be a new tire though...

captainaudio
02-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Hmmm... I actually liked the Bridgestone on supersmooth pavement, although they weren't that grippy (nowhere as good as performance slicks)... I could imagine if they redid the tread/rubber with performance summer treads, it would be ok despite the hard sidewall. I guess that would essentially be a new tire though...

Actually I can see why HPFP . . . er I mean HP likes them. I had no issue with them in Florida where the roads are in reasonable shape.

CA

rikwynn
02-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Last I checkedd maturity level doesnt correlate with a nail in a tire.

rikwynn
02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Youve been lucky so far...but Im sorry to say that the odds will get ya its just a matter of time. My Conti RFTs were also fine at 35K miles, until i ran over a nail and BMW helped me spend $1K to fix the problem. Hey I have an idea, since you dont use your radio when driving youll be able to hear the air leaving your fabulous RFTs. Keep listening

neapolitan
02-07-2010, 05:51 AM

Take some speed bumps (the big sharp kind) at around 7 mph and see what happens -- you'll find out what a "pothole explosion" is. Or, find some railroad crossing and take that around 20 mph. It is quite impressive.

DJAST
08-07-2010, 10:00 PM
First thing I did was to get rid of the run flats on my 525i Touring. They make the car handle poorly, cost a fortune and don't last long. I have a space saver spare with my car. I went to Kwik Theft and they told me that it was not possible to put ordinary tyres on run flat rims, and proceeded to try and flog me tyres at over 200 a corner. Ordinary tyres can be fitted to run flat rims, but the other way round is not advised in cars that do not have a computer that senses a punture. I put on some cheap Chinese tyres which have lasted for ages, and the car handles much better. They have much more tread than most of the more expensive low profile brands. My wife has run-flats on her mini which she likes because she can't (won't) change a wheel. They're getting to the end of their life and will be replaced by standard tyres. There is however, no spare with the mini. A cheap mini compressor and a can of that gungy repair stuff will have to do. Even then she'll call me to do the honours. Should have got her a Citreon C3 or something.

deadspoogi
08-07-2010, 10:24 PM
WOW $500 for a single tire and replacement? Thats just rediculous. I bought 2 run flats on tire rack and paid $380.

What a rip off.

hpowders
08-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Last I checkedd maturity level doesnt correlate with a nail in a tire.

Source? Link? Study? References?

hpowders
08-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Youve been lucky so far...but Im sorry to say that the odds will get ya its just a matter of time. My Conti RFTs were also fine at 35K miles, until i ran over a nail and BMW helped me spend $1K to fix the problem. Hey I have an idea, since you dont use your radio when driving youll be able to hear the air leaving your fabulous RFTs. Keep listening

You may have hit the nail on the run flat!:thumbup: