PDA

View Full Version : alternator removal

E39530i
01-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Is there any write ups on how to properly remove and replace the alternator?I want to do it myself and cant find anything that tells me, i did a search but couldn't find anything useful really.

yaofeng
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I presume you are talking about the V8. Correct? I won't give you the write-up but will give you sufficient pointers to get going. After a few times doing this you will be the beneficiairy of my past misery.

I've fished the alternator from the top between the radiator and the oil filter housing after the radiator shroud is removed. Don't do it that way. The best way I found was to remove the power steering pump pulley and drop it to the bottom. Three M8 bolts on the pulley using a 13 mm socket.

You know or can see what else to remove to get to it. They are gravy.

But critical to the operation is disconnect the battery cable in the rear seat first. You do not want to buy a new alternator by removing a good one only to damage it in the process.

Wait a minute. Your e39 530 is a different animal. Is it not? For starters, your alternator is water cooled.

The above write up applies exclusively to the e34 M60 V8.

E39530i
01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I have a 1992 525i I6 sorry forgot to tell you guys.

Tfk
03-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Just remove the two mounting bolts, one on top (Which supports the tension pulley
and the other is lower, almost near the power sterring pump i believe.

both are relatively easy.
i can take the alternatoroff within 10mins completely,
however, quick socket swings tire my hand haha