PDA

View Full Version : My E34's Issues (new)

AHalibut
01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Repair Price
Reinstall fuel cap door $25
Power steering fluid leaks $75
Transmission mounts (rough idle) $133
Throttle plate gasket (rough idle) $202
Repair valve cover studs $190
Valve cover gaskets $477
New brakes $680
Replace power steering reservoir $280
Replace belts $150
Motor mounts (rough idle) $568
Reinstall glove box latch $30
Brake sensor install $20
Inspection II $693
Exhaust hangers $48
Thermostat $145
Bi-annual fluid flushes $230
Transmission leaks $490
Rear dogbones $430
Drive shaft flex joint $481
Tie rods and alignment $625
Installation for thrust arm bushings $285
Windshield crack $206
Driver door panel clips and reglue $110
Rear passenger window motor $354
Rear passenger window switch $93
Repair both front seats $1,350*
Driver seat belt buckle $322*
$8,697 repairs

Separate line items
Vehicle purchase $4,500
All-season Continental tires $543.73
Winter Good year tires $494.62
July '08 detail wax/polish $330
$5,868.35 separate line items

$14,565.35 total for a 14 year old car. Regrets? I've had a few. Could have gotten a sweet deal for a R53 MINI Cooper S for this price.

*not done

bill bmw
01-06-2009, 02:59 PM
good lord ... you've gotten nailed on some of that stuff... $477 for valve cover gaskets! is that right?? Rear passenger window motor... $368. I guess I'm just out of touch with retail these days, because I try to do (some) of my own repairs... or maybe you're getting royally screwed (no offense intended... really). good luck

sleepysal
01-06-2009, 03:11 PM
good lord ... you've gotten nailed on some of that stuff... $477 for valve cover gaskets! is that right?? Rear passenger window motor... $368. I guess I'm just out of touch with retail these days, because I try to do (some) of my own repairs... or maybe you're getting royally screwed (no offense intended... really). good luck

Yea ,what he said!!!

Anatoly
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
brakes $680??? mine were only $165

Viktor
01-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah I'm almost on the same boat. Reaching the 8k mark in repairs plus initial purchase price.
I'm not gonna lie, I wish I could have called it better. But now its something I can learn from.
But I do my best to save some money towards repairs to the car... but it seems like it goes into the red too fast.
If I hit the lotto... I'll still keep it, I'll just send it in to do a complete restore and buy me a small truck. Like a little Tacoma.

Some dodge chargers out here are going to 14k brand spanking new.

Damnit... I knew I shouldn't have sold my explorer.... it was just an air leak after $2,000.00 of unnecessary repairs... 8k later I have even more problems!!!! LOL

AHalibut
01-07-2009, 06:03 AM
The brakes are pretty high end. Back when I thought I could afford to splurge on this car. I know a lot of this stuff could be a lot cheaper if I did the work myself but I have no skill and no time to learn. I'm working full time and trying to get my own business off the ground so time is premium.

And to be honest one of the reasons I wanted to post this here was to see if I was getting a good price on these repairs. I think some of them are fair but some seem pretty steep. This is one of the few BMW specialty mechanics in Kansas City, their competition is Baron BMW which is pretty much right across the street where I imagine these repairs would be even stiffer to swallow (although I'd get a free courtesy car while they're being done).

AHalibut
01-07-2009, 07:17 AM
I found a web site today that can give a rough estimate for repair costs called repairpal.com. I ran several of the repairs I noted above through their little wizard and for the most part I was charged on the low-mid end for most of the fixes, so I'm not feeling too burned.

More than anything I just didn't anticipate so many repairs. I mean, I really did do my homework before I bought the car; knew the model had front suspension wear issues, radiator issues, and gasket seal issues and about the Nikasil/Alusil engine issues (the engine was swapped out with an Alusil one about 12 years ago).

So, overall I'm just putting this out there as a warning to anyone looking at a 15 year old car (of any kind really). If it was maintained, awesome, go for it if you want it. If not, well, just be prepared to pay for someone else's neglect.

CarDriver
01-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Wow, I feel for you Man! My sedan is 19 years old and runs like a champ. I have had it for going on three years and since then have replaced the Radiator, water pump, clutch fan, re-lined the roof, replaced the front seats, replaced breaks pads, rotors, and completely rebuilt the suspension (including strut mounts, tie rods upper and lower control arms, drag bar), replaced both front fenders and have yet to break the $3K mark.

There is definitely something to be said about DIY. I have found that your average mechanic does a 100% mark up on almost all parts and labor usually runs between 80 to 100 bucks per hour (And they work slow).

sleepysal
01-07-2009, 10:57 AM
yup they like to work real S L O W

sstuner
01-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Repair Price
Reinstall fuel cap door $25
Power steering fluid leaks $75
Transmission mounts (rough idle) $133
Throttle plate gasket (rough idle) $202
Repair valve cover studs $190 WAS THIS SEPERATE FROM THE VALVE COVER GASKETS? OR PART OF THE SAME JOB
Valve cover gaskets $477 THIS IS RETARDED
New brakes $680 IS THIS ALL AROUND? if so , not bad
Replace power steering reservoir $280 WOW
Replace belts $150 ARE YOU FOR REAL
Motor mounts (rough idle) $568 HOW MCU DO THEY CHARGE AN HOUR
Reinstall glove box latch $30
Brake sensor install $20
Inspection II $693
Exhaust hangers $48
Thermostat $145
Bi-annual fluid flushes $230
Transmission leaks $490
Rear dogbones $430
Drive shaft flex joint $481
Tie rods and alignment $625 ARE THEY MADE OF GOLD
Installation for thrust arm bushings $285
Windshield crack $206
Driver door panel clips and reglue $110
Rear passenger window motor $354
Rear passenger window switch $93 WHAT
Repair both front seats $1,350* WHATS WRONG,
Driver seat belt buckle $322* I HAVE ONE THAT YOU CAN HAVE
$8,697 repairs

Separate line items
Vehicle purchase $4,500
All-season Continental tires $543.73
Winter Good year tires $494.62
July '08 detail wax/polish $330
$5,868.35 separate line items

$14,565.35 total for a 14 year old car. Regrets? I've had a few. Could have gotten a sweet deal for a R53 MINI Cooper S for this price.

*not done

ok so i have added some comments to the prices that you have on here. there are some pretty decent prices on there for somethings and then others,,,,,, well you can read what it says.

wow 477 for valve cover gaskets......... unreal. i paid 100 bucks for the seals and it took me 30 minutes to do both sides. wow.

BMR_LVR
01-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Man. That has been one expensive E34. I was looking at a 94 540i and posted a question about whether or not they are problematic. I got a lot of replies, mostly agreeing that they are problematic with a lot of costs involved. I asked my trusted independent mechanic and he told him to stay far, far away. I took his advice. Your post is just a confirmation for my decision.

I had a 92 525i that was a great car. The tranny lost reverse at 256 thousand miles, and I decided not to invest the money to put in a reman/used tranny. The only major things I had to do to the car (other than regular services, brake pads, etc.) was to replace the radiator, which I did myself, and have the front strut cartridges replaced.

I'm actually looking for another E34 525i.

Viktor
01-11-2009, 01:25 AM
I don't think its an issue of an e34 being problematic, its really about how well its been taken care of. Besides, the E34 Series are almost 20th years old already, what do you expect if the person you get it from did not take proper care from it? And that is the biggest challenge, finding someone who took good care of their own car before they sell it off. Of all the paper work I got with my car, I came to learn that its been mickey-moused with. The job was done, but it wasn't a proper repair to begin with.
I bet if you've owned an e34 or any car for that matter, and these problems have started within the last four or five years, that's pretty damn good longevity if you ask me. With all the parts being from Germany, they gotta make up for the tariff taxes they paid, so of course the parts are pricey. But hey, its what we picked, right? We asked for it, and we got it. LOL

AHalibut
01-14-2009, 10:00 AM
ok so i have added some comments to the prices that you have on here. there are some pretty decent prices on there for somethings and then others,,,,,, well you can read what it says.

wow 477 for valve cover gaskets......... unreal. i paid 100 bucks for the seals and it took me 30 minutes to do both sides. wow.

The motor work was all the same job. The tech showed me how the seals weren't just worn, they had actually kinda corroded and were effectively fused to other parts. From what they told me they were very difficult to get off which was for the high labor. :dunno: The belts were actually part of a full service job I had done at my independent non-BMW mechanic the week I bought my car; they did a fluid flush too so that pricing includes that.

The brakes, yeah, the price I listed was for the full brakes all around with high end ceramic performance pads, Brembo rotors, and installation. This was through my indepenent shop where I take my Dodge truck too.

The front seats have what I'll call a 2-part version of the seat twist; the seats themselves twist and the headrests don't move at all. This quoted price was actually one of the things that made me start to question their pricing as I know that if I were handy with a pair of vice grips and had a lot of patience I could fix the seat twist for free or close to it. So, yeah, that repair definitely will not be done with this mechanic. I might just toss one of my mechanically gifted friends $100 to try and get this one done.

Ultimately there are about four places in Kansas City to take a BMW that have master certified BMW techs. The dealer was over 40% higher on all these repairs. This place that I went is pretty much right across the street, does the work faster, and is of course cheaper, not to mention I'd much rather support a local small business (I own my own and my parents do too). The other shops in town are either way out of my way or priced closer to the dealer so I haven't used them yet. I do like where I'm taking my car; they're fast, they're good at communication, and they're honest with their repairs, I just didn't know about their pricing until I did some shopping around.

Viktor
01-14-2009, 11:23 AM
You can't put a price on honest mechanics, but they sure can.

CarDriver
01-14-2009, 11:46 AM
You can't put a price on honest mechanics, but they sure can.

Too Funny :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

dannyc9997
01-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Your comments are priceless :lmao: if only he wrote something like that on the estimates and returned them.

supertech777
01-17-2009, 03:36 PM
is this guy for real... thats a lot of money lol... nice prank...

SimonSEZe34
01-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Boy,.....I thought I've got it BAD sometimes over here in BKK....... I feel better now ...!!! One of my E34 (M50) 93' ..went in for a service ...changing of the bushes (OEM)/ engine-break-clutch oil (Mobile1)/ break pads (Bendix metal king) / wind shield wipers / fuel pump...about 320 USD

AHalibut
01-23-2009, 08:43 AM
is this guy for real... thats a lot of money lol... nice prank...

Is who for real? :dunno:

mrodoc
01-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I have a 1995 E34. Much of this stuff can be done yourself. Do a search. There are excellent sites that will walk you through the repairs step-by-step. I'm going to rebuild my VANOS next weekend and replace oxygen sensors, and trust me, my mechanical expertise is limited. Start simple. Once you get the hang of it you'll have the confidence to try other things.

brians900@aol.c
01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
any ideas on rough idle at cold start on a 91 525? Idle clears if i run rmps over 3000. and then is fine. cold start valve?

kkodal78
01-23-2009, 03:45 PM
any ideas on rough idle at cold start on a 91 525? Idle clears if i run rmps over 3000. and then is fine. cold start valve?

have you done a tune up recently?