PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about e34

Anatoly
01-06-2009, 06:39 PM
hey guys, I'm new to BMW's, so I got some questions.

On my 1989 BMW 535i I have black button on the left next to the steering wheel, can any1 tell me what it's for?
Also, on my onboard computer sometimes comes up "Owner's Handbook", what does it mean?
Thanks in advance.

mlambert831
01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
the onboard computer says owner's handbook as a reference, you have another problem and it's telling you to address the handbook to help fix it.

It should say something else,

ex: "Coolant Level" then "Owner's Handbook"

or "Brake Padding" then "Owner's Handbook"

Anatoly
01-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Ou ok, yeah sometimes it says "coolant Level" and then "Owner's Handbook".

mlambert831
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM
often times you find a coolant leak as a result of using (rumor?) non bmw brand coolant

personally my coolant was fine, then I used some non bmw brand, and now I find myself refilling it somewhat often.

Anatoly
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't have a leak, just my sensor is bad. Sometimes it says it, sometimes not. My coolant level is fine tho.
So, any1 know anything about that mystery black button that is on the left of the steeringwheel? I pushed it, but nothing happened ...

bimmer dot info
01-08-2009, 07:46 AM
A bad sensor will cause the message. To get rid of it you either need to replace the sensor or bypass it.
Can you take a picture of the button?

hottweelz
01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
So, any1 know anything about that mystery black button that is on the left of the steeringwheel? I pushed it, but nothing happened ...

Foglights?

CarDriver
01-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Dashlight Dimmer nob. Try turning the lights on and turning the "Button" from left to right or right to left. See if the dash lights dim or get brighter. :dunno:

Anatoly
01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Here is the pic. of the button. I still can't figure out what it's for :dunno:

hottweelz
01-21-2009, 01:19 PM
That is definately AFTER-MARKET

n8kip
01-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Yup, I had an e34 for years and it didn't have that button. I'll bet it does something to the lights. Can you look under the dash to see where the wires go?

CarDriver
01-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Nitris Booster ??? LOL...

Anatoly
01-21-2009, 03:58 PM
^^ hhahahaaha that's what I was thinking as soon as I saw it ... I was like ... NAWS ???????? YAY ... pushed it ... nothing lol
It weird, doesn't look like it's aftermarket ... the guy that I got the car from is old, and it was his family car. He imported it from Germany in 89, still have all the receits since it was brand new, I'm the second owner.

Also, another question, is there power lock for the doors inside the car? Like a button or something?

dannyc9997
01-21-2009, 09:06 PM
^^ hhahahaaha that's what I was thinking as soon as I saw it ... I was like ... NAWS ???????? YAY ... pushed it ... nothing lol
It weird, doesn't look like it's aftermarket ... the guy that I got the car from is old, and it was his family car. He imported it from Germany in 89, still have all the receits since it was brand new, I'm the second owner.

Also, another question, is there power lock for the doors inside the car? Like a button or something?

Ive never seen it, must be a euro thing. As for the power locks theres no button other than the locks themselves. Press the drivers down and all 4 will lock, pull it up and they will unlock.

RocknRoll
01-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Definitely not a Euro thing. I seen a lot of Bimmers over here and that is installed by a previous owner.