PDA

View Full Version : One of my first diy's

mlambert831
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm attempting to replace the rear window regulator and motor, it's proving to be relativly difficult, I can't get the door panel off.

the bentley manual says how to do it but it seems as if the plastic cover for the screw inside the interior door handle will not come out.

Could anyone give me some quick tips on how to get this @*$^ing door panel off!?

much appreciated.

-Matt

v8bimmer
01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
what car are you doing this on? every year and modle have a different way of removal.

mlambert831
01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
95 530i

v8bimmer
01-07-2009, 02:25 PM
simple all you need is a small flat head screw driver and alot of patience. on the screw plug there should be a small slitt on the side allowing a flat head screw driver or razor blade to pop it of. Sometimes these are glued on so be carful not to break it. Pop it of and unscrew the bolt. Now here comes the patience part. The molding clips that bmw used for the door pannels are not that sturdey so i recomend prieing the bottom of the door panell up first( using the screw driver) then work your way up the side then lift the door pannel up and off. the pannel is curved over a lip and must be handled delicatly. then it is easy to replace the motor. hope this helps! good luck.

mlambert831
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
simple all you need is a small flat head screw driver and alot of patience. on the screw plug there should be a small slitt on the side allowing a flat head screw driver or razor blade to pop it of. Sometimes these are glued on so be carful not to break it. Pop it of and unscrew the bolt. Now here comes the patience part. The molding clips that bmw used for the door pannels are not that sturdey so i recomend prieing the bottom of the door panell up first( using the screw driver) then work your way up the side then lift the door pannel up and off. the pannel is curved over a lip and must be handled delicatly. then it is easy to replace the motor. hope this helps! good luck.

I appreciate the help! you say it's easy to replace the motor, what about the regulator?

bill bmw
01-08-2009, 06:52 AM
if it's never been done.. it will be riveted (at least mine was)... so you'll need to replace with nuts & (short) bolts. I did it with out too much trouble and it was my first time... bentley and common sense will get you there... good luck.

v8bimmer
01-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Repacing the regulator might take two people. It is a simple swap out if you have all the pieces. As long as you take your time and pay attention to how you took out the old one you should be fine. bently doesnt quite show you step by step but when you take out the old one you should figure out how to put the new one in. gl