PDA

View Full Version : head cover

v8bimmer
01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
my fabric on my celing is comming of. any suggestions?

CarDriver
01-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Have it replaced by an auto upholstery shop. Should be about 200 to 250 depending on if the sun roof needs to be done as well. Just applying new adhesive never works. The material has a foam backing that over time can crumble. The deteriorated residue of the foam remains on the roof and that is what prevents new adhesive from sticking. The roof panel needs to come down and be scraped clean before any new fabric will adhere.

You can DIY but you will need to go to an upholstery shop to get the fabric. The adhesive can be gotten from home depot. 3M is the best.

v8bimmer
01-08-2009, 11:40 AM
is it easyer to just have the upulstry shop do it or is it just cheaper to take the time and do it yourself?

CarDriver
01-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I am all about saving money where and when I can but I think head liners (If you have not done it before) are best to have a shop do it. Less head ache and the cost is not that great. I had the head liner replaced in my sedan for $220 and it came out great. Now I need to get the one in my touring replaced but first I need to repair the sun roof.

If you have time a patients you can do it yourself. I am a firm believer that you can do anything as long as you do the research first and help from folks that have done it before never hurts. there is a post on here from Attack Eagle were he did his on a touring and posted instructions (with photos) on how to do it (More specifically, how to remove the head liner / roof panel). I will ref that post if I decide to tackle my Touring myself.

I will say this... If you do it yourself and it comes out right, that is a great feeling!

bimmer dot info
01-08-2009, 12:12 PM
It needs to be replaced. You can DIY for about 1/3 of the price. Up to you if you think it is worth it.