PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 535i

Anatoly
01-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Problem just started happening today. I got off from work, started my car, and noticed that it idles weird ... below 500 rpms, then it would jump it self sometimes, like some1 tapped on gas pedal and go back to low idle. When u push gas pedal it have a delay in response. Also, it stalled one time. Sometimes the engine check light would come up, but very rarely, for about 3-4 sec. Also, sometimes when you stop it would act like it's about to die, but it doesn't. I shut off the car, then turned it back on, started fine, I let it idle for 10-15 min. then test drove it, looked fine. A couple hours later same thing happened. What could it be? :dunno: Some kind of ignition problem? Fuel? Vacum leak? Help please!

It's 1989 535i

v8bimmer
01-08-2009, 06:37 PM
my sisters car did this. Try cleaning the carboretor she got bad gas at a station and it guncked up in the carborator. just a suggestion.

Anatoly
01-09-2009, 12:11 AM
I don't think it is the cause, but I'll try it out. I'll also look for air leaks.

bill bmw
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I just follow the herd... which always seems to say.. if you have idle issues, check/clean/maybe replace... the idle control valve.

bimmer dot info
01-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Check/clean/replace the ICV. Might also be a good idea to clean the AFM.
Take a look at the ignition system too. Replace the plugs if you do not know when they were last done and check the wires and rotor/cap.

Anatoly
01-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info guys.