PDA

View Full Version : 525it tire pressures

dopple
01-08-2009, 10:49 PM
On another post I was told pressures for the this car should be close to the 525i and I was off. I forgot what the poster said and I apologize for not recalling your name but I just went down and checked both the manual in the car and the placard and I am reading 36psi front and 44psi rear. It is on the final page of the manual.

Does anyone have a manual handy. Can I get a witness?

By the way: why do they have a different pressure for outside the US and Canada?

Tourburgring
01-09-2009, 11:26 PM
It was me that mentioned the high tire pressures.
Check the sticker again. There are two sets of pressures listed, one set for Fully Loaded (4 or 5 people + luggage) and one for "normal" operation (2 or three people and a case of beer :)). Your 36 front & 44 rear exactly matches the Fully Loaded numbers on a 525 which is why I thought they were a bit high. Also check the tire sidewall for some small print that gives the maximum inflation pressure. 44 is probably OK but I know some tires that don't recommend going above 40psi. You will get better mileage at those pressures though :D

dopple
01-10-2009, 09:01 PM
I checked it tonight. For the outside US there are two suggested pressures with one being lower for up to 4 people and the higher pressures for both a more fully loaded car and the only pressure for the US. It is the same in the manual as on the car and the format, with the higher pressure being the US pressure is the same format used for the other 5 series cars in the same manual which comes with the car.

Check it out again. I believe I am correct but let me know if I am not.

Tourburgring
01-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm sure you are right, but that is very different to the manual I have for my 1993 525i (also 535i & M5). This was a US car so the manual is also from the US and there are definitely different pressures according to vehicle load.
I can only think that the 530i came with different tires from the factory that required the higher pressures, or maybe it was a ploy to gain higher EPA mileage ratings. Interesting.