PDA

View Full Version : Bad reviews of new 7...

550isport
01-15-2009, 10:14 PM
All the road tests in europe of the F01 suggest the cars features are impressive and the handling is excellent, but the ride is too harsh for a 7.

I had a 2001 740i sport. Incredible car. It spoiled me. I could never bring myself to like the E65 because it was such a boat by comparison. Maybe the old hot rod limo in a silk suit is back?

My 2 cents: If you want an isolated ride, get a Lexus or a Merc.

Kudos to BMW if they have brought back the real 7.

DRP

sunny_j
01-15-2009, 10:36 PM
All the road tests in europe of the F01 suggest the cars features are impressive and the handling is excellent, but the ride is too harsh for a 7.

I had a 2001 740i sport. Incredible car. It spoiled me. I could never bring myself to like the E65 because it was such a boat by comparison. Maybe the old hot rod limo in a silk suit is back?

DRP

drive a E65/66 with h&r springs, rear self level suspension, the EDC on sport and it handles like its on rails.

550isport
01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
They all handled like they were on rails...essentially they are, the hydraulics keep the car from rolling, then the tires get punished and all the g force transfers into the cabin. I have it on the 550 it feels great. I didn't mean to be harsh. All 7s are wonderful cars, its just that I am 6'6" and I love everything as short and tight as possible. I hate big cars and the E65 feels every inch as big as it is from the driver's seat. I have driven almost every variation of the car and for a luxury car its pretty sporty. I can feel the impact of the long wheelbase of an Li at the first corner. The front goes...pause...and then the rear follows. The i executes a corner in one fluid transition. IMHO the E65 sold really well because Americans don't want a mega sports full size sedan (hence the M7 project being shelved several times...how ironic right? Now that Porsche, Lamborghini and Aston Martin are building that type of sedan) I think the new 7 may be a return to a sports sedan that secondarily is luxurious. If so, that's great if your an enthusiast driver looking for a 7. Not so great if your into pimpin your 7 and your other car is an Escalade.

I'm hoping the new 7 will pick up where the E38 left off...a supersized, feature-loaded 3 series!! I'd buy one if that's the case.

mrbenyong
01-22-2009, 06:43 AM
What harsh ride?? Seriously when i drove the 740i (2009) the FRONT was ENGAGING, driver can feel the road and corners perfectly well and my brother sitting at the back says its supremely comfy. (JUST like e65 i own)

WHAT CAR COMPANY CAN DO THAT IN THIS WORLD? LEXUS and S class are flying carpets, no feeling of the road but comfy. A8 i read has numb steering feel. dont even want to mention the american brands.....

ALL 7 series is an excellent limo that drives like a SPORTS car. i even like the drive of my e65 and the z4 i drove... and that i found SERIOUSLY ODD.

hotrod2448
01-22-2009, 06:51 AM
I wouldn't classify the E65 handling boat like. I would say it's very well judged for a car of this weight. It's never going to the track and is IMO quite well judged for spirited street driving when in sport. Making the suspension harder doesn't necessarily mean it will handle better. If it rode like my E92 I would be sorely disappointed. I do think it could use a little less power assist in the steering department though.

I'll be interested to see what the new drives like. If nothing else the added oomph of TTV8 will be very welcome.

Kayani_1
01-22-2009, 06:55 PM
I agree calling handling of E65 boat like is way too harsh:thumbdwn:

It handles very well for a car of its size. :thumbup:

I wouldn't classify the E65 handling boat like. I would say it's very well judged for a car of this weight..

petener999
01-22-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree calling handling of E65 boat like is way too harsh:thumbdwn:

It handles very well for a car of its size. :thumbup:

Even better with the sport packaged:thumbup:

manithemoneyman
01-31-2009, 02:13 PM
They all handled like they were on rails...essentially they are, the hydraulics keep the car from rolling, then the tires get punished and all the g force transfers into the cabin. I have it on the 550 it feels great. I didn't mean to be harsh. All 7s are wonderful cars, its just that I am 6'6" and I love everything as short and tight as possible. I hate big cars and the E65 feels every inch as big as it is from the driver's seat. I have driven almost every variation of the car and for a luxury car its pretty sporty. I can feel the impact of the long wheelbase of an Li at the first corner. The front goes...pause...and then the rear follows. The i executes a corner in one fluid transition. IMHO the E65 sold really well because Americans don't want a mega sports full size sedan (hence the M7 project being shelved several times...how ironic right? Now that Porsche, Lamborghini and Aston Martin are building that type of sedan) I think the new 7 may be a return to a sports sedan that secondarily is luxurious. If so, that's great if your an enthusiast driver looking for a 7. Not so great if your into pimpin your 7 and your other car is an Escalade.

The 7 series is always luxury first, sportiness second. Most of the upscale brands do the same thing including Bentley, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin etc. Their cars are luxury sport, Lambos and Ferraris and Porsche are the sport with optional luxury...

Nobody expects a 7 series to be a sportscar and it never will be. At best the Alpina B7 can somewhat compare to the extremely powerful AMG S-class cars but still both are limited in their actual sportiness due to the size and weight of the car.

I'm hoping the new 7 will pick up where the E38 left off...a supersized, feature-loaded 3 series!! I'd buy one if that's the case.

With the last generation of BMW's, this is exactly what the company wanted to avoid. The previous cars felt like and were literally the same thing in small medium and large and lots of people complained about the lack of differentiation between the models. I drive a 7 for lots of reasons but sure as hell don't want it to just be a bigger 3 series...

philippek
01-31-2009, 02:30 PM
All the road tests in europe

Which reviews are you talking about? The ones I've read have been very positive, and mention nothing about a harsh ride.

550isport
02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I have yet to see a good review of the new car where it was actually driven by the reviewer. Watch the 5th Gear video mentioned in a post on this forum.

As an attorney, being quoted out of context is very upsetting. I didn't call the E65 7 boaty . I said it was boat like in comparison to the 740i sport, which happens to be the only 7 series ever sold by BMW with M sport suspension. The dampers were 50% stiffer in front and 20% stiffer in the rear. The roll bars were thicker front and back and the front springs were shortened to bring the front end lower to the ground. The streptronic auto was not available in the non sport 7s or the 740li sport (which had none of the sport suspension mentioned above). Nor was the higher stall speed torque converter than allowed better launches.

It was, to say the least, a very special car. BMW never gave the E65 to M division to tune, so there is no comparable 745/750. However, at 5.9 sec to 60 there was no V8 E65 as fast as the 740i sport until the 750 was introduced with the LCI. It had the simplicity, focus and turn-in of a 3 series, not the plebeian ride. And the 3 series is 4 door automotive perfection, is it 12 years running now... No 7 series has ever won car of the year. The 3 is BMWs best product.

The E65 was a great car, and I'm happy that you are all smitten with it, but to me it was an exercise to broaden the customer base by really pushing the standards of what it takes to be a BMW. Particularly in the area of handling.

I hope the new car is a track star, so the comfort crazed buyers can look elsewhere.

DRP

hotrod2448
02-02-2009, 07:17 PM
I have yet to see a good review of the new car where it was actually driven by the reviewer. Watch the 5th Gear video mentioned in a post on this forum.

As an attorney, being quoted out of context is very upsetting. I didn't call the E65 7 boaty . I said it was boat like in comparison to the 740i sport, which happens to be the only 7 series ever sold by BMW with M sport suspension. The dampers were 50% stiffer in front and 20% stiffer in the rear. The roll bars were thicker front and back and the front springs were shortened to bring the front end lower to the ground. The streptronic auto was not available in the non sport 7s or the 740li sport (which had none of the sport suspension mentioned above). Nor was the higher stall speed torque converter than allowed better launches.

It was, to say the least, a very special car. BMW never gave the E65 to M division to tune, so there is no comparable 745/750. However, at 5.9 sec to 60 there was no V8 E65 as fast as the 740i sport until the 750 was introduced with the LCI. It had the simplicity, focus and turn-in of a 3 series, not the plebeian ride. And the 3 series is 4 door automotive perfection, is it 12 years running now... No 7 series has ever won car of the year. The 3 is BMWs best product.

The E65 was a great car, and I'm happy that you are all smitten with it, but to me it was an exercise to broaden the customer base by really pushing the standards of what it takes to be a BMW. Particularly in the area of handling.

I hope the new car is a track star, so the comfort crazed buyers can look elsewhere.

DRP

Was that part in bold really necessary?

If it was, as a 4 time NASCAR Nextel Cup Championship race car builder I find it upsetting when anyone thinks any mass produced luxury car is or even could be a "track star".:)

The 7er is just too big and too heavy to be a real track car, most people realize that. So, why set up the suspension to be like one? Sure, it can be firm and sporty but, it doesn't need to be a track setup. If you have enough money to get a 7er and the track bug bites buy yourself a shifter kart leave the 4,000lb+ bahn burner at home.

manithemoneyman
02-02-2009, 07:40 PM

DRP

Can I ask why you are so intent on having a sporty 7 series? Cars in this segment are not meant for sportiness... Yes there are some high powered models to appeal to the richer clientele who want the performance but those cars still arent exactly sporty, just very quick off the line. Comfort and status are much more important in this market than being able to take corners well... but if you must have the handling as well as seats then there are plenty of new and upcoming 4-door coupe style cars including the CLS AMG, Maserati Quattroporte, Aston Martin Rapide, Porsche Panamera, etc.

Also no car in the 90k range will ever be elected car of the year... part of the metrics for that is value for money. The 7 is luxury, not value.

PS. Have you driven a 760 sport? I'm not sure about your demands but that thing handles incredibly well for its size... and thats factory. Coilovers and lightweight wheels can let it keep up with most 3 series.

BmW745On19's
02-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Was that part in bold really necessary?

If it was, as a 4 time NASCAR Nextel Cup Championship race car builder I find it upsetting when anyone thinks any mass produced luxury car is or even could be a "track star".:)

The 7er is just too big and too heavy to be a real track car, most people realize that. So, why set up the suspension to be like one? Sure, it can be firm and sporty but, it doesn't need to be a track setup. If you have enough money to get a 7er and the track bug bites buy yourself a shifter kart leave the 4,000lb+ bahn burner at home.

Really? That's interesting. What team, if I may ask?

mustaine
02-02-2009, 08:04 PM
No 7 series has ever won car of the year.

Hyundai Genesis has ....... now that's some moral victory for boaty E65/66. :rofl::rofl:

hotrod2448
02-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Really? That's interesting. What team, if I may ask?

24/48 cars.

My screen name is making a little more sense now, huh?:D

BmW745On19's
02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
24/48 cars.

That's really awesome!

So you're Mr. Hendrick, correct?

If ya'll ever come to Sebring for the 12 Hours in March, let me know and we can get together and I'll introduce you to the LeMans champion car owner. :thumbup:

http://www.edmunds.com/media/il/features/motorsports/audi.all.new.r10.le.mans.racer/audi.r10.act.500.jpg

hotrod2448
02-03-2009, 01:56 PM
That's really awesome!

So you're Mr. Hendrick, correct?

If ya'll ever come to Sebring for the 12 Hours in March, let me know and we can get together and I'll introduce you to the LeMans champion car owner. :thumbup:

http://www.edmunds.com/media/il/features/motorsports/audi.all.new.r10.le.mans.racer/audi.r10.act.500.jpg

That's a good one. I work for Mr.H. I am not the man himself.:rofl:

We have a pretty good relationship with a few of those guys, mostly the Pratt and Miller guys for obvious reasons. Who are you talking about? I thought the Audi team was a factory owned team.

BmW745On19's
02-03-2009, 02:41 PM
That's a good one. I work for Mr.H. I am not the man himself.:rofl:

We have a pretty good relationship with a few of those guys, mostly the Pratt and Miller guys for obvious reasons. Who are you talking about? I thought the Audi team was a factory owned team.

Ohh, I see. Still very cool!

And yeah, I can see why you would.

Audi owns the drivetrains, but not the cars themselves. They are owned by an individual.

If you go to Sebring, you'll see his new cars, the R12 Audis.

07X3platinum
02-03-2009, 03:35 PM
24/48 cars.

That's sweet. My two favorite drivers, along with the 88.

manithemoneyman
02-03-2009, 09:55 PM
I've also wanted to own/work with a professional racing team... man I need to retire...

hotrod2448
02-04-2009, 04:22 AM
I've also wanted to own/work with a professional racing team... man I need to retire...

Aren't you like 20 something or am I thinking of someone else?:rofl:

manithemoneyman
02-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Aren't you like 20 something or am I thinking of someone else?:rofl:

hey I'm 21 now! :banana:

I love motorsport but from what I've heard its hard to break in to get to the good stuff

hotrod2448
02-04-2009, 10:01 AM
hey I'm 21 now! :banana:

I love motorsport but from what I've heard its hard to break in to get to the good stuff

You know how you can make a small fortune in racing?
Start with a big one.

If you are talking about being a driver forget it. They start at about 4-5 yrs old these days. You are already too old. If you are talking about being an owner it just takes money and some good people to make good decisions on how to spend that money. Just for reference though, the team I work for, just the two cars in my shop spend roughly $50-60 million a year to go racing. If you've got that kind of money to blow we need to talk.

Obviously, there are cheaper ways to go racing but, at a professional level you are still talking at least a couple million a year.

Sorry to drag this way OT. If you want to continue talking just PM me.

TheSaint
02-10-2009, 08:30 PM
You know how you can make a small fortune in racing?
Start with a big one.

If you are talking about being a driver forget it. They start at about 4-5 yrs old these days. You are already too old. If you are talking about being an owner it just takes money and some good people to make good decisions on how to spend that money. Just for reference though, the team I work for, just the two cars in my shop spend roughly $50-60 million a year to go racing. If you've got that kind of money to blow we need to talk.

Obviously, there are cheaper ways to go racing but, at a professional level you are still talking at least a couple million a year.

Sorry to drag this way OT. If you want to continue talking just PM me.

I used to live in Charlotte. I've crossed boats with little Ricky on Lake Norman. Small world.

tkasser
02-12-2009, 11:19 AM

DRP

The 740i Sports didn't have rear sway bars...at least not in the USA. This was a major flaw in the handling of the car. I had a 2000 740i sport with a Dinan suspension and I can tell you that my E65 with Sport package and 20" handles better AND isn't as harsh over the bumps.

And I'll go on record saything that I always thought the E32's handled better then the E38!

550isport
02-12-2009, 12:00 PM
"The Sport package ($2,600 and worth every penny) is not just fancy wheels and tires. It comes with a shorter final drive ratio (rear end gears) of 3.15 instead of the standard 2.81. The torque converter has a higher stall speed to further boost acceleration response. The front suspension is lowered by .8 inches, with firmer spring settings (+10% front, 25% rear). Shocks are 100% firmer and front roll bar is thicker (22 mm versus 20.5 mm). The slighter lower profile really enhances the 740's looks as well. Very aggressive."

Ooops. No rear anti roll bar, and the shocks were stiffer than I thought. I should have checked before I posted. My bad.

BTW, to the whole board: I wasn't looking to spark a controversy. I just don't like the driving feel of E65 and I was simply suggesting that maybe the reason that the new 7 is getting some quesitonable reviews is because BMW is taking a different approach with the new car. Where I did get opinionated was in saying that I hope the new car returns to the more focused feeling of the E38 short sport. I'm happy for those of you who are smitten with your E65s. It is a womderful thing to love you're car. And so have driven 745 & 750 i & Li, sport & non sport and even a 760Li I couldn't bring myself to buy one because I wasn't in love (not even for a hot second) with the way any of them drove. Not to say they're not spectacular cars. To each his own.

Ciao,
DRP

1bad540
02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Drive the sport package e65...:thumbup: P.s the 740i sport is among one of my fav bmw's ever ,,,,,,,,,,classic car..

tkasser
02-13-2009, 04:39 AM
I was at the dealership launch party for the F01 last night. Didn't get to drive it, but when I got back into my E65 it felt old inside!

hotrod2448
02-13-2009, 09:00 AM
I was at the dealership launch party for the F01 last night. Didn't get to drive it, but when I got back into my E65 it felt old inside!

Yeah, I can definitely see that being a very common reaction. It's also the reason I'm keeping my wife well away from the F01. The TTV8 is why I'm not going near one. All and all staying away until we are ready to buy.:rofl:

Wilassasin
03-08-2009, 01:05 PM

DRP

U must be kidding urself!

mrbenyong
09-05-2009, 05:24 AM
i think the 7 series needs to be relaxed and also involving... no need to be too harsh... i mean, if want sport might as well get a 5er. i have e65 and after 6 years, i do think its slightly on the harsh side, but handles super.... a little more comfort would be nicer. i love driving n all but when it comes to the 7 it must be relaxed, but still involving.