PDA

View Full Version : OEM or Aftermarket NAV?

kineda
12-26-2001, 11:51 PM
I'm trying to see what is the better way to go on the M3 I'm ordering. I'm very into the quality of music in my ride so I've broken it down into two options:

1. OEM Navigation System with HK. How good is the HK? Would it be better to get the OEM system and add aftermarket speakers/subs and amps? How hard is it to integrate an aftermarket system for the OEM Nav system. I've heard and read about NAV-TV, but I'm not sure how expandable it is. Is the OEM Nav DVD based?

2. Aftermarket NAV System - Probably the new one coming from Eclipse that has DVD/GPS/LCD built into a single din unit(the GPS is probably seperate). And then add the speakers and amps from there?

Sorry if the question was a bit lengthy. I've done a ton of searching on this topic on bimmer.org and e46fanatics without much success.

andy 323i
12-27-2001, 04:52 AM
the all in one integrated display nothing to beat that .. one option i miss ordering on my 323:D

jw
12-27-2001, 06:01 AM
If the quality of sound is your thing and you don't mind plunking down some serious cake, then aftermarket is the way to go. Back in the mid-90's I leased a Grand Cherokee and put a $15k stereo into it. (most of the cost was customized installation). When the lease was over, I ripped out all the components and wiring for $200. The parts are still in a box. Think I'm going to do a stealth install in the T-bird.

If you'd like to get the best bang for the buck, then OEM it. My current 330i has the Nav/Cd-Changer combo. Not too shabby of a sound for a stock unit. Although, I still feel BMW could do leaps and bounds better in the AV department. Definitely behind the times.