BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Headlight on Gong

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jimoreno 
#1 ·
Hello

I have an 85 524TD and when the headlights are on and you turn off the ignition the head lights turn off automatically but the parking lights stay on. There is no gong or bells to alert you to this battery killer and it has killed my battery more than once.

Having just had to ask for my ... ah ... (embarrassed grin) well one to many jump starts from a passing stranger, I've decided to try and rig some kind of a warning system.

So I'm looking for is if anyone knows of such a system that is available or plans for one? Failing that where can I get my hands on a wiring diagram for this antique? I have purchased several manuals on line that say they cover this model and every last one has been a real disappointment to say the least.

I'm thinking of just running a series circuit from the headlight switch to the gong box to the driver door switch. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

David

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Jimmy.

I ordered one just now. I'll let you know how it works.

Also I'm still looking for a wiring diagram if anyone knows where to get one. The diagrams for the gasser 5 series don't don't work for the diesel. The reason I need it is that some of the wiring is a little jerry rigged, is in a couple of the wires under the hood were connected with wire nuts. I've cleaned the stuff up but there are still some occasional gremlins in the electrics and I would like to have a map instead of wing(nut)ing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.