PDA

View Full Version : X5 Roof Rack

Masskrug
07-08-2003, 11:40 AM
I'm gonna try and liven this forum up a bit...boy, is it quiet here.

I'd like to get a rack system for the X5 sometime in the near future. Thinking about holding skis in the winter, bikes in summer, and cargo box for longer trips, camping, golf gear.

What kind of rack are you using? Pros and cons of the systems you've looked at? Feedback?

To be honest, to my uneducated eye, they all look about the same, give or take a few features and bucks.

Emission
07-08-2003, 12:47 PM
I'd think nearly all of the racks are compatible with the BMW roof rails. Unfortunately, I don't know squat about any of them (sorry).

Masskrug
07-08-2003, 01:08 PM
I'd think nearly all of the racks are compatible with the BMW roof rails. Unfortunately, I don't know squat about any of them (sorry).

Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to get something going in the X forum!

richcdad
07-29-2009, 07:49 PM
I've had great experience with Thule products over the years. The most important part is the locking part which connects to the factory rack itself (called feet). You can get 50 inch rectangular load bars on craigslist or ebay for cheap and mount whatever you want on them (bike rack, ski rack, enclosed carrier, kayak rack, or an open rack for stuff). From what I recall the max load capacity is 250lbs across the bars.

kygom
07-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Go with the mont blanc aero. Looks great, aerodynamic, and no ugly overhang. They also lock.

mad0db5
07-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey i have the bmw brand racks and the guy i bought my x5 from lost the keyed tool for the bolts to tighten them. I like the racks except for the fact i cant move them or take em off. Yeah, bmw dealer in anchorage cant find me the keyed tool in their system. If anybody knows how i can get one of those keyed tools id appreciate it?

devildogjoer
11-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I have the BMW roof racks. No accessories, just the racks. I can post them on Craigs list if you are still looking? I used them mostly to pick up our Christmas tree every year. We no longer have an X5.

I'm gonna try and liven this forum up a bit...boy, is it quiet here.

I'd like to get a rack system for the X5 sometime in the near future. Thinking about holding skis in the winter, bikes in summer, and cargo box for longer trips, camping, golf gear.

What kind of rack are you using? Pros and cons of the systems you've looked at? Feedback?

To be honest, to my uneducated eye, they all look about the same, give or take a few features and bucks.