PDA

View Full Version : DIY instructions for e36 alarm/keyless entry

JD
12-27-2001, 08:12 AM
Can anyone point me to some good DIY instructions so I can install an alarm/keyless entry in my 98 M3? Thanks!

JD
(Ronin)

Alex Baumann
12-27-2001, 08:22 AM
Here's a site, but unfortunately no pictures

E36 Alarm (http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/alarm/)

Alex

TD
12-27-2001, 08:38 AM
My '98 M3 sedan did NOT come with an alarm either. I installed mine on my own (without the benefit of any instructions other than those that came with the alarm). It's neither much fun nor all that difficult. But it is a bit intimidating as you have to take a good chunk of your dash apart. (See pic) But If I can do it...

http://members.roadfly.com/Holden/PA200003.jpg

JD
12-27-2001, 09:24 AM
uh-oh!!!
:(
I think I'm in trouble.....

TD
12-27-2001, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by JD
uh-oh!!!
:(
I think I'm in trouble.....

What's wrong? I said it was intimidating but not all that difficult. I did it in a couple of hours. And no dealer activation is required.

Have you ordered it yet?

JD
12-27-2001, 09:32 AM
you are right, I am just complaining. I am usually pretty good at figuring things out but when you start pulling electrical components from the dash with wires hanging out everywhere it does get a little intimidating....:rolleyes:

TD
12-27-2001, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by JD
you are right, I am just complaining. I am usually pretty good at figuring things out but when you start pulling electrical components from the dash with wires hanging out everywhere it does get a little intimidating....:rolleyes:

You actually do not have to have that much disassembled at once. I took that pic when things looked at their worst.

Everything is pre-wired. All you're doing behind the glovebox is installing the controller module. It plugs into two wires that are in that area (although finding them can be fun). And you have to run one wire over to the center console for the little blinking light. That's the only reason the center console is disassembled. And plug in and attach the horn under the hood and you're done. Oh yeah, and attach the remotes to your keychains.

It is a bit challenging to get the glovebox and vents all back where they were, but it's not really difficult as much as it is frustrating. A lot of stuff has to line up simultaneously. It just requires a bit of patience. And make sure not to force anything.

JD
12-27-2001, 10:02 AM
Me thinks you might be receiving an e-mail or two come project time!
:D

TD
12-27-2001, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by JD
Me thinks you might be receiving an e-mail or two come project time!
:D

Not a problem.