PDA

View Full Version : Credit for under mileage at lease return

roots
02-24-2009, 09:47 PM
I have some questions if any of you guys have returned leased cars that are under miles (your car has less miles than the contract allows). Have you been able to get some credit for this?

When I turned in my last car before Christmas, I was about 9500 miles under. Yeah I know, it was my mistake... when I started the lease my commute was 30 miles roundtrip, but not long after that I changed job and I commute by subway.

About 2 months before my turn in date, I called BMW FS and inquired if there would be any kind of credit for under miles. The rep I spoke to said that they could usually give some credit to cover excess wear and tear. I said OK, that's great. There were some scratches on the bumper and my rear tire was worn out, so I didn't bother to fix or replace the tire.

During the turn in inspection (done at the dealership), the guy noted the bumper scratches and worn out tire.

About a week later I got my statement in the mail and they listed the above 2 charges ($400) plus disposition fee. I called BMW FS and asked about the under miles credit. The rep said sure he could take care of it. He said he could write off the $400 charge if I lease/finance another BMW with them. I said, great, thanks.

The statement was due in 30 days and by then I haven't found another car. So I called again to settle the charges. And I asked to confirm that when I get into another lease, they'd refund my disposition + $400. But then the guy said uh no, they couldn't refund the $400 because I needed to get into a new contract within 30 days. I said hey, I wasn't told about the 30 day deadline. He said yeah, sorry nothing he could do about that.

Now I'm about to start another lease and I'm looking for advice what to do now. Can I make a case against BMW FS and ask them to refund the $400? Can I ask someone (salesman or finance guy) at the dealer where I'll pick up the new car to request BMW FS to refund it for me? FYI, the dealer where I turned in my car is different from the dealer where I'll pick up my next car.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

quackbury
02-25-2009, 09:40 AM
My understanding is that the original "base" number of miles you purchase on the lease (10,000, 12,000 or 15,000) are not refundable. However, if you purchase additional miles and don't use them, the extra miles ARE refundable. Example: 36/15 lease, purchase an additional 15,000 miles. At lease end car has 55,000 miles total. The unused 5,000 extra miles are refunded.

I could be wrong on this. Unfortunately, Ihave never used FEWER than the number of miles I bought. Always goes the other way.....

beewang
02-25-2009, 10:52 AM
....I have some questions if any of you guys have returned leased cars that are under miles (your car has less miles than the contract allows). Have you been able to get some credit for this?

When I turned in my last car before Christmas, I was about 9500 miles under. Yeah I know, it was my mistake... when I started the lease my commute was 30 miles roundtrip, but not long after that I changed job and I commute by subway.

About 2 months before my turn in date, I called BMW FS and inquired if there would be any kind of credit for under miles. The rep I spoke to said that they could usually give some credit to cover excess wear and tear. I said OK, that's great. There were some scratches on the bumper and my rear tire was worn out, so I didn't bother to fix or replace the tire.

:bustingup :bustingup :bustingup

Dude!! Roots!!:rolleyes: I will put it this way so you'll understand...

When you order a Big Mac Value meal at Mickey Dees (you know... the BigMac , Fries and the Soda, the whole schebang! ;)) and say you added the "Go Large" option and you got the larger fries and 64 oz Cup for Soda.

... and you sat there and ate the stuff but only consumed a small portion of fries and say just 12 oz sips of that 64 oz Coke cup you are given... You felt that "Damn!! I should have not upgraded to the superduper size!!" and ask the kid at the counter if you can get some credit back and the kid says: "..yeah!! we can do that..." "

SAME CONCEPT!!

You see what I am getting??!!:dunno:

anyways... the products may be different but the end result is the same.

Call it " ... a lesson learned" and read the contract next time buddy;)

cheers,

beewang:bigpimp:

///M Rakete
02-25-2009, 12:51 PM
I have some questions if any of you guys have returned leased cars that are under miles (your car has less miles than the contract allows). Have you been able to get some credit for this?

During the turn in inspection (done at the dealership), the guy noted the bumper scratches and worn out tire.

About a week later I got my statement in the mail and they listed the above 2 charges ($400) plus disposition fee. I called BMW FS and asked about the under miles credit. The rep said sure he could take care of it. He said he could write off the $400 charge if I lease/finance another BMW with them. I said, great, thanks.

The statement was due in 30 days and by then I haven't found another car. So I called again to settle the charges. And I asked to confirm that when I get into another lease, they'd refund my disposition + $400. But then the guy said uh no, they couldn't refund the $400 because I needed to get into a new contract within 30 days. I said hey, I wasn't told about the 30 day deadline. He said yeah, sorry nothing he could do about that.

Now I'm about to start another lease and I'm looking for advice what to do now. Can I make a case against BMW FS and ask them to refund the $400? Can I ask someone (salesman or finance guy) at the dealer where I'll pick up the new car to request BMW FS to refund it for me? FYI, the dealer where I turned in my car is different from the dealer where I'll pick up my next car.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Under mileage credit to be applied against wear and tear is typical, Big Mac comparison not withstanding. I've never heard about the 30-day deadline before.

Kamdog
02-25-2009, 01:50 PM
:bustingup :bustingup :bustingup

Dude!! Roots!!:rolleyes: I will put it this way so you'll understand...

When you order a Big Mac Value meal at Mickey Dees (you know... the BigMac , Fries and the Soda, the whole schebang! ;)) and say you added the "Go Large" option and you got the larger fries and 64 oz Cup for Soda.

... and you sat there and ate the stuff but only consumed a small portion of fries and say just 12 oz sips of that 64 oz Coke cup you are given... You felt that "Damn!! I should have not upgraded to the superduper size!!" and ask the kid at the counter if you can get some credit back and the kid says: "..yeah!! we can do that..." "

SAME CONCEPT!!

You see what I am getting??!!:dunno:

anyways... the products may be different but the end result is the same.

Call it " ... a lesson learned" and read the contract next time buddy;)

cheers,

beewang:bigpimp:

Poor analogy, Bee. In your example, it would go more like this: you arrange to eat a certain number of fries over the next 2 years. If you go over, you pay a big heap of bucks, if you go under, it is a gift to MacDonalds.

So, the answer really is, no, you shouldn't expect any credit back unless the lease agreement says so. The agreement is the agreement, and that's the way it works.

bmwKbiker
02-25-2009, 01:51 PM
You should have discussed the under mileage credit at turn in time not after the fact.

Based on your own account of the phone call you never got any acknowledgement from BMWFS of them owing you an under-mileage credit against wear and tear, only an affirmation of your eligibility for the standard lease disposition wavier when acquiring a new vehicle.

SOL, I think, you are.