PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone integration

Mental
02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
For $150.00 you get the smartphone integration option on the 09 3er.
Fine. Until you try to use it. I have Verizon service, so Iphone is not an option.
I went to the dealer and asked if they had a cradle for my Voyager. Nope....they don't think so.
So, my next question to the dealer. What phone can I get from Verizon along with a cradle to allow me to use this option.

Dealer response:dunno:

What a waste of money. In addition, they told me that a cradle is around $400.00. Well, I get a new phone every year or two, so that does not work.

Just so you know, if you are thinking of ordering this option.

cwinter
02-26-2009, 10:53 AM
What exactly does the smart phone intergration give you beyond what the bluetooth option gives you? All I would ever care for his hands free calling and its my understanding you can save a few numbers in the system to dial with voice activation. Plus, doesn't the bluetooth also tie in with most voice activated phones?

Mental
02-26-2009, 10:57 AM
The Smartphone integration allows the phone to be charged, and it uses the external antenna.

Kilgore Trout
02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
6NL is not really just about charging and using the shark fin. In fact, BMW has always had craddles for a small number of phones for that purpose.

6NL was really an attempt to accomodate all those drivers who use their phone as a multimedia device. For example, the Iphone owner who wants to play music that he has stored on the phone in the car. With 6NL and 6FL, you can jack in an ipod, and then stick your Iphone in a craddle, and use one or the other as the music source.

At the time of the announcement for 6NL, BMW highlighted the Iphone. I'm told now that there is also a craddle for the Blackberry curve. If there is ever a craddle for the LG Voyager (which, btw, is technically NOT a smartphone - and BMW never vaguely hinted that they would support it), I will be very, very surprised.

Also, it is not true that the craddles are $400. You can get the Iphone craddle at Tischler (getbmwparts.com) for $140.

The problem here is not that BMW is doing something bad - it is that dealers don't understand this option. My CA knew nothing about Smartphone integration.

BTW, I ordered it - and am sorry I did. Waste of $150.

FCBayernFTW
02-26-2009, 12:49 PM
BTW, I ordered it - and am sorry I did. Waste of $150.+1000000:thumbup:

Same here:mad:

unit
02-26-2009, 02:19 PM
+1000000:thumbup:

Same here:mad:

+1

^6NL is not worth the price, and they should include the craddle in the purchase price. :(

Bloopie
02-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Is there anyone on this forum that has bought the cradle? I keep my Iphone in a clear plastic case. I was wondering if it would still fit in the cradle.

rmorin49
02-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Is there anyone on this forum that has bought the cradle? I keep my Iphone in a clear plastic case. I was wondering if it would still fit in the cradle.

I installed my adapter tonight and I have a thin skin on my iphone. With the skin on, it will not snap into the adapter. It is very easy to remove my skin so this is what I will do whenever I take a long trip, otherwise I'll just use the bluetooth and lay the phone in the console. Is the adapter worth $140, I'm not sure, time will tell.