PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a key protector?

Mr. E
12-19-2001, 03:02 PM
I took delivery of my car on Monday, and I noticed that there's already a tiny gouge in the plastic of the key I'm carrying on my ring. I'm not so concerned about the appearance of the key, but I am worried about the functionality, given how expensive replacements are. Is there some kind of case I can get that will keep lint and gunk out of the buttons and protect the plastic while the keys are in my pocket?

Thanks a bunch.

Mr. E
12-20-2001, 12:42 PM
Didn't someone once post a picture of a leather key holder on the "unmentionable" board? Anybody remember that?

DocSmith325i
12-20-2001, 02:14 PM
Check with your local BMW dealer parts department. I recently bought one from Concord BMW for about $15-18. :)

Mr. E
12-20-2001, 02:26 PM
Thanks DocSmith! Would you happen to know the part# I'm looking for?

DocSmith325i
12-20-2001, 03:21 PM
Sorry Mr. E., I don't know the number. I had the plastic bag with the part number on it in my backpack but I tossed it out last Saturday! Since you just got our car on Monday, see if your salesman will give you one for free. Mine gave me one on the day I picked up my sedan. Good luck.

jw
12-21-2001, 08:27 AM
My dealer gave me two key rings. One was engraved with the dealership's name (my spare key) and the other was the leather key protector. I thought they came with the cars.

Mr. The Edge
12-21-2001, 08:31 AM
You should have gotten 4 keys. 2 identical keys (with the dealership on the ring) Then one in the leather protector, which is the valet key. The last one (the little plastic one) is for your wallet. If you didn't get these 4 keys, you are in danger of your car being stolen.

Mr. E
12-21-2001, 05:49 PM
I got all four keys, but no protector for the valet key. That pretty much blows, but it seems typical of my dealer, who refused to throw in floor mats, saying "sorry, but you already got a discount on the car". :mad: I got him back though, because when I took delivery of the car, he already had mats installed and said he would sell them to me for cost. I said "No thanks, I already ordered elsewhere [Pacific BMW]". It gave me some satisfaction seeing him scramble to have them taken out. :)

I was hoping to find a part number for the protector so I could order from Pacific or Circle BMW.