PDA

View Full Version : The shi* word suggestion by: hts

hts
07-14-2003, 11:01 AM
I know that the s**t word prolly isn't a violation of the current TOS, but it seems to me that my personal experience here at the Fest could be significantly enhanced if we avoided profanity. I would suggest that we start with George Carlin's list of 7, and perhaps add to that as we see fit. Then again, I know you're all a bunch of big boys and girls here, so I'm sure you're all just thinking "who the F does hts think he is?" and "I with that s-hole mother-f'er would just shut his trap". Blah, blah. I guess I'll just police my own language.

I don't care if he's populist or conservative, he's not objective, that was my point wrt O'Reilly.

I didn't put that post up as a comprehensive debate on the merits of FNC (or lack thereof)... it was just my wiseass reply to the ridiculous over-generalizing assertion that no tv news outlet over the last 30 years has "even attempted" to present both sides of the issues. I mean really, come on now. :tsk:

dredmo
07-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Thread moved to the appropriate location. Any concerns you may have may be addressed by reading the new TOU and/or contacting a moderator/admin.

Plaz
07-14-2003, 11:14 AM
I know that the s**t word prolly isn't a violation of the current TOS, but it seems to me that my personal experience here at the Fest could be significantly enhanced if we avoided profanity. I would suggest that we start with George Carlin's list of 7, and perhaps add to that as we see fit. Then again, I know you're all a bunch of big boys and girls here, so I'm sure you're all just thinking "who the F does hts think he is?" and "I with that s-hole mother-f'er would just shut his trap". Blah, blah. I guess I'll just police my own language.

I'm not sure what my post has to do with this suggestion.

I'm not sure the "S" word needs to be censored, but I'll leave that decision up to our wise and benevolent admins. I would suggest, however, that we revert back to a simple "*" for censored letters, rather than an image such as :nono: , since that often ends up pushing the maximum images in a single message boundary when replying to said posts.
:dunno:

The Roadstergal
07-14-2003, 11:29 AM
You can get around any censor if you want to... it's more the spirit of the censor setting the tone for the boards.

e.g. <s>fu***********ck</s>. :dunno:

Patrick330i
07-14-2003, 08:03 PM
hts, I usually don't indulge you on this quest to find out what the rules are over here, but I feel compelled to respond now.

One of the things I like about this board is the fact that people don't go over the top when it comes to being sensitive towards a few select words. Most other BBS that I know of are just tight-assed about this beyond belief.

Not that I have a say in any of this, but if I did, I would just say let's not get personal and we should be fine. What I mean by personal is getting direct and in your face with another poster. I am not referring to flaming some unknown driver on the fwy and calling him an :asshole: on this board. That shouldn't be a problem. Now, if I call you an :asshole: , that probably shouldn't be allowed with the possible exception of the flame board! :D