PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have info on a Brake fluid change?

nate
12-27-2001, 08:54 AM
I am going to have some warrany work done tomorrow and was considering a brake fluid change. I don't think it was done with inspection 1. I ask because driving schools require that the fluid be less than 6 months old and I want to do some in the spring. Anyone know the cost at the dealer for an E46?

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 08:59 AM
I don't know but I take issue with my dealer on this one. BMW says to change the fluid every 2 years so shouldn't this be a part of the "full maint." (3yr 36000) program? Same with the coolant flush, right? Doesn't seem the dealer reads it that way. NE1 else with experience getting these done under the program?

TD
12-27-2001, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by LilEccentricJ
I don't know but I take issue with my dealer on this one. BMW says to change the fluid every 2 years so shouldn't this be a part of the "full maint." (3yr 36000) program? Same with the coolant flush, right? Doesn't seem the dealer reads it that way. NE1 else with experience getting these done under the program?

I pointed out that the brake fluid flush was called for every two years under the maintenance schedule so they changed it free of charge. And this was on our '99 E36 which has a more limited "free" maintenance plan than the 2000+ E46s.

TD
12-27-2001, 09:04 AM
And the procedure ought to be in the new E46 Bentley manual. I know that it's in the E36 Bentley manual.

doubletee
12-27-2001, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by TD
And the procedure ought to be in the new E46 Bentley manual. I know that it's in the E36 Bentley manual.
Just got an E36 Bentley manual for a Christmas gift. Whoohooo! And just as the warranty is expiring. Timing is everything!;)

TD
12-27-2001, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by doubletee

Just got an E36 Bentley manual for a Christmas gift. Whoohooo! And just as the warranty is expiring. Timing is everything!;)

I bought the E36 Bentley manual as a cHristmas present for my wife last Christmas. She was thrilled (Really!) since she does all the non-warranty work on her 323iC.

So, when I dumped my E46 in favor of my E36 M3/4, we already had the Bentley manual for it.

It is a great resource. If I am ever bold enough to disassemble my engine, it'll walk me right through it. Now I just need more tools. You can never have enough tools.

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by TD
It is a great resource. If I am ever bold enough to disassemble my engine, it'll walk me right through it. Now I just need more tools. You can never have enough tools.

Tha is true! I have a complete machine shop in my garage including CNC machine but NEVER enough tools! Dunno if I would bore or hone my own engine though...

As far as the maint. goes, I'll have to push the issue when it is time. I just asked and the svc. guy said I needed to UG my maint to the 4/50k to get it but that might have been to get me to buy it. I'd rather save the $400 and use the money to put my Bentley manual to use like replacing rotors or pads, etc.

nate
12-27-2001, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by TD

I pointed out that the brake fluid flush was called for every two years under the maintenance schedule so they changed it free of charge. And this was on our '99 E36 which has a more limited "free" maintenance plan than the 2000+ E46s.

Thanks, TD. I'll push the advisor for one since it has been 2 years since the build date :D

TD
12-27-2001, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by LilEccentricJ

Tha is true! I have a complete machine shop in my garage including CNC machine but NEVER enough tools! Dunno if I would bore or hone my own engine though...

As far as the maint. goes, I'll have to push the issue when it is time. I just asked and the svc. guy said I needed to UG my maint to the 4/50k to get it but that might have been to get me to buy it. I'd rather save the $400 and use the money to put my Bentley manual to use like replacing rotors or pads, etc.

I've done my oil on a number of occasions and have done some modest disassembly/re-assembly of the interior. I have no fear of doing brakes (pads/rotors) or doing the brake fluid flush (once I pick up a bleeding kit). I figure I'll be able to do a good chunk of my maintenance myself.

Of course, troubleshooting mechanical malfunctions/failures will still probably have to be left to the pros.

The HACK
12-27-2001, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by TD

I've done my oil on a number of occasions and have done some modest disassembly/re-assembly of the interior. I have no fear of doing brakes (pads/rotors) or doing the brake fluid flush (once I pick up a bleeding kit). I figure I'll be able to do a good chunk of my maintenance myself.

Of course, troubleshooting mechanical malfunctions/failures will still probably have to be left to the pros.

It's like a $50 tool that you WILL use over and over again. Just fill up a couple of liters of new brake fluid in the bleeder, pump the handle, and open the brake bleeder valve on each brake. Piece of cake.

http://www.studio2321.com/carstuff/ssl_install/index.html There's some brake bleeding instructions here if anyone needs it.

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by TD

You look into the obd-2 software (http://www.obd-2.com) ? I just bought it and should have it this week. Glad to hear your wife does a lot of her own repairs. My wife does sooo many things that one might think only a man should do and she finds herself left out a bit because she doesn't like domestic things like cooking and sewing etc. She is very work minded, very industrial minded and a GREAT electronic and mechanical designer who finds it difficult proving herself in a "mans" world. Women need to get out and do what they want and like despite the label that may be associate with such. What is this a rant? I love my wife and want to support her in everyway I can. She loves life and what she does. BTW, there is no specific reason for having a machine shop at home other than we wanted it to play around with things and to invent... FYI, I didn't name myself LilEccentircJ, that came from friends and family that know us well :)

nate
12-27-2001, 09:57 AM
Alright, just called. It will be taken care of :)

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Alright, just called. It will be taken care of :)

That's great Nate, glad to hear it! :rolleyes: something rymes there... ;)