PDA

View Full Version : Wax tomorrow (Are you free Alee?)

Dr. Phil
03-13-2002, 07:52 AM
Weather here tomorrow looks promising to get a fresh Blitz look on the xiT. Only down side is the 2 step wash (Dawn then Sonax) will have to take place at a DIY stall because of water restrictions:( Also I have a just arrived bottle of Speed Shine to try out post wax:thumb:

Couple of questions for you
[list=1]
Is it necessary to use the shampoo after Dawn? (curious as to why)
Since my car is only 3 months old, do you think it is safe to skip the polish/paint cleaning step?
Is it advantageous to do Speed Shine right after waxing?
Am I forgetting anything?
[/list=1]

TIA for any feed back

Guest84
03-13-2002, 08:07 AM
not alee, but can answer some of those ?'s

1.Is it necessary to use the shampoo after Dawn? (curious as to why)

Its my opinion (that formed after taking in quite a bit of information from various sources) that 2 washes will ensure that 100% of the dirt is absolutely gone. Missed dirt from the first washing could potentially scratch your finish, take a look at your wax pad sometime, see how dirty it is after waxing? Maybe you should have washed twice...in summary, not required, but certainly a good step in insuring your surface is 'prepped'.

2.Since my car is only 3 months old, do you think it is safe to skip the polish/paint cleaning step?

Probably okay to skip it, since your color appears to be lighter...if you had a deep, dark color, I'd recommend the polish/paint step, but with less dark colors, you're not going to see the swirls that are there.

3.Is it advantageous to do Speed Shine right after waxing?

Yes, if your using a Carnarba wax, some "hazing" might occur, and you'll be eliminating that hazing, as well as touching any spots that you missed wiping off during your wax removal.

4.Am I forgetting anything?

My advice would be to do at least the paint cleaning step, then wax, you'll be 'filling' any major swirls then protecting that area with the wax.

alee
03-13-2002, 08:26 AM
Yeah, yeah, what he said! :thumb:

Dr. Phil
03-13-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by alee
Yeah, yeah, what he said! :thumb:
Rip thank you, I had most of the same thoughts you shared. I think I'll roll the dice and not paint clean this time. My car is garaged, I've been very careful washing, and the color is lighter in person than pics so swirls are not prevalent thankfully.

Thanks for that insightful response Al:D I'll look for you around 1:00 then:thumb:

Dr. Phil
03-14-2002, 12:33 PM
Just finished up.............

Double wash at DIY was a PITA:(

Got home redusted the car, Blitz worked and looks great:thumb:

Post wax Speed Shine:D This stuff smells good, applies easily and gave an extra glitter when done:thumb:

Griots window cleaner smell a little like peroxide:dunno: but did a nice job:)

Cleaning the style 73s last :cry: They are tough

Lack of digi cam to share :mad: :confused: Must break down and buy one..........the car loosk as good as delivery day IMO:thumb:

vexed
03-14-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
Just finished up.............

Double wash at DIY was a PITA:(

Got home redusted the car, Blitz worked and looks great:thumb:

Post wax Speed Shine:D This stuff smells good, applies easily and gave an extra glitter when done:thumb:

Griots window cleaner smell a little like peroxide:dunno: but did a nice job:)

Cleaning the style 73s last :cry: They are tough

Lack of digi cam to share :mad: :confused: Must break down and buy one..........the car loosk as good as delivery day IMO:thumb:

Darn I can't put any smilies in my reply, argggh.

Sounds great Phil [cheap imitation thumbs up]

Dr. Phil
03-14-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by vexed

Darn I can't put any smilies in my reply, argggh.

Sounds great Phil [cheap imitation thumbs up]
I must have used up the allotment:dunno:

Al would be proud of the shine I put on my baby:D

vexed
03-14-2002, 01:43 PM

I must have used up the allotment:dunno:

Al would be proud of the shine I put on my baby:D

You did, http://www.renegade-exhausts.com/renegadeusa/clipart/bouncy.gif Got me reallyhttp://www.renegade-exhausts.com/renegadeusa/clipart/crazy.gif

Go ahead, taunt Al.:tsk:

Dr. Phil
03-14-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by vexed

You did, http://www.renegade-exhausts.com/renegadeusa/clipart/bouncy.gif Got me reallyhttp://www.renegade-exhausts.com/renegadeusa/clipart/crazy.gif

Go ahead, taunt Al.:tsk:
Earlier reply from him today makes me think he is at home right now with 15 empty water bottles surrounding his car:yikes:

He has a BIG problemhttp://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/biggthumpup.gif

vexed
03-14-2002, 01:53 PM

Earlier reply from him today makes me think he is at home right now with 15 empty water bottles surrounding his car:yikes:

Tell me something new.:tsk:

alee
03-14-2002, 02:23 PM

Yep, it was good for me too. :D

15 gallons of the finest distilled water Acme could sell me. :thumb: Neighbors stared and pointed, but they're used to the routine now.

Mike 325xi
03-14-2002, 02:40 PM

Yep, it was good for me too. :D

15 gallons of the finest distilled water Acme could sell me. :thumb: Neighbors stared and pointed, but they're used to the routine now.
The staring and pointing had nothing to do with the car washing :yikes:

alee
03-14-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

Even midgets and dwarves have to go outdoors sometimes. :)

Had a banner day today... going to get some quality sushi. :D

Dr. Phil
03-14-2002, 03:02 PM

:lmao: Welcome back Mike:thumb:

Al

did you use all 15 gallons? Must have poured over the car if so:dunno:

After the detail drove 1 mile to my son's school for pick up, then came home and noticed some light dust so Speed Shine Round II :D Safe in garage now for the night

Mike 325xi
03-14-2002, 03:08 PM

:lmao: Welcome back Mike:thumb:

Al

After the detail drove 1 mile to my son's school for pick up, then came home and noticed some light dust so Speed Shine Round II :D Safe in garage now for the night
Loooooong drive home from the thriving metropolis of Hollidaysburg, PA...after having a Chevy Blazer as a rental for the last few days I really appreciate the BMW :tsk:

It was a beautiful day for a drive though :thumb:

Mike 325xi
03-14-2002, 03:10 PM

Even midgets and dwarves have to go outdoors sometimes. :)

Had a banner day today... going to get some quality sushi. :D
Uh oh...more raw sea creatures for you!! :thumb:

alee
03-14-2002, 04:29 PM

I used about 13.5 gallons of water. I've done it a few times now, so 15 gallons is roughly the right amount. :D

Dr. Phil
03-14-2002, 04:31 PM

I used about 13.5 gallons of water. I've done it a few times now, so 15 gallons is roughly the right amount. :D
Might be time for a group buy:dunno: If the drought holds we could use a truck load:thumb:

alee
03-14-2002, 04:32 PM
Uh oh...more raw sea creatures for you!! :thumb:
$100 poorer, 100x happier. :D Good quality toro today... if it were any fresher, it would still be flipping around. :thumb:

alee
03-14-2002, 04:33 PM

Might be time for a group buy:dunno: If the drought holds we could use a truck load:thumb:
I think one of my neighbors wanted to turn me in, but then he saw all the empty jugs. :D

Dr. Phil
03-14-2002, 04:39 PM

$100 poorer, 100x happier. :D Good quality toro today... if it were any fresher, it would still be flipping around. :thumb:
You mean to tell me you spent $100 on raw fish:tsk: That could have almost paid for the Porter:cry:

I think one of my neighbors wanted to turn me in, but then he saw all the empty jugs.
I got the same look when I went out w/ my 2 buckets to do the wheels:confused:

See other thread on speed shine thoughts:D

alee
03-14-2002, 04:45 PM
You mean to tell me you spent $100 on raw fish:tsk: That could have almost paid for the Porter:cry:
There's always room in my budget for living creatures to eat. :D

Saw your post on the Speed Shine... if I switch back to carnuba, I'm definitely going to give that a shot!