PDA

View Full Version : Z-FX Application


peppy
03-13-2002, 08:49 AM
Last weekend we hit 18 degrees celcius (64 fahrenheit) before plummeting down to minus 8, so I got a chance to use my Zaino collection, CWA et al for the first time.

Did the Dawn wash, clay, Z7, then laid down 3 layers of Z2 with Z6 in between. Took me about 5 hours. I would definitely recommend the Z-FX for the time savings. I've never used Zaino before so I can't say if the shine was any different with the Z-FX.

In regard to the clay, my car is only 3 mos old, but I found that the clay removed an awful lot of small black pieces of stuff which were embedded in the paint. Glad I did it. I used up one piece of Zaino clay, lubricating with Z7.

I tried to use very thin layers of Z2 and found that I only used about .5 ounce per coat. I still had .5 ounce left over to put onto the wheels but by then my back was starting to ache so I just applied Meguiars wheel cleaner.

Application was very easy with the applicator but felt like I wasn't appying anything since you can't see the polish on a white car.

Have had the bimmer for almost 3 mos now but first really good polish gave me an opportunity to appreciate the curves and design.

I took some shots before the heavens opened up. I'll try to post them on the weekend when I get a chance to read my digicam manual.

My bimmer is white and doesn't have the glassy look of darker cars I've seen here but I'm very happy with the results.

Mr. The Edge
03-13-2002, 09:16 AM
Sounds great! I'm set to ZFX for the first time today too. Looking forward to your pics.

ALEX325i
03-13-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by atyclb
Sounds great! I'm set to ZFX for the first time today too. Looking forward to your pics.

Hey atyclb,

Check out this thread: Zainoed with ZFX (http://www.bmwfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3447)

ZFX won't improve shine, it's solely intended to speed up curing time, allowing you to lay down up to 3 layers of Z5/Z2 on the same day... :thumb:

Al also posted some pics of his car which he also polished using ZFX. Definitely recommend it. :thumb:

SacM3
03-13-2002, 10:43 AM
Wow! Three coats of Zaino in one day....... I'M IMPRESSED! I havent tried ZFX as I'm afraid I would try something similar....I already get enough grief as it is from wife for spending more time with the car than her....:rolleyes:

Mr. The Edge
03-13-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by ALEX325i


Hey atyclb,

Check out this thread: Zainoed with ZFX (http://www.bmwfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3447)

ZFX won't improve shine, it's solely intended to speed up curing time, allowing you to lay down up to 3 layers of Z5/Z2 on the same day... :thumb:

Al also posted some pics of his car which he also polished using ZFX. Definitely recommend it. :thumb:

Thanks ALEX, saw that. I've been using Zaino for a little while now--I bought it and practiced on my old car before the M3 came in.

Will post result pics sometime tomorrow probably.

peppy
03-13-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by SacM3
Wow! Three coats of Zaino in one day....... I'M IMPRESSED! I havent tried ZFX as I'm afraid I would try something similar....I already get enough grief as it is from wife for spending more time with the car than her....:rolleyes:

In my case, my wife drives the car to work and I walk to the office; so the only time I get to spend with it is on the weekends. So she's understanding. The Z2 application itself as you know isn't the tough part. The initial cleaning and claying was the part that really got to m:yikes:

ict330xi
03-14-2002, 08:08 AM
I had a really hard time applying it on a white car as well. I am sure I put too much on, but I just can't see it very well. Works great though and looks absolutely fantastic. At the price it sells for I don't really care, I just buy more!

Mr. The Edge
03-14-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by atyclb


Thanks ALEX, saw that. I've been using Zaino for a little while now--I bought it and practiced on my old car before the M3 came in.

Will post result pics sometime tomorrow probably.

And the results:

http://members.roadfly.com/atyclb/Megarage.jpg

(only the b/w portion is PS'ed)

Mr. The Edge
03-14-2002, 02:46 PM
http://members.roadfly.com/atyclb/DSC00158.JPG

http://members.roadfly.com/atyclb/DSC00159.JPG