PDA

View Full Version : Meguirs Final Inspection 34 application questions

ad
03-13-2002, 10:43 AM
Hello:

I have read many of your posts about washing techniques. And I must first say that everyone here provides excellent advice. Especially Ripsnort and Alee to name a few!

For the first time a few weeks ago I used Meguires Final Inspection and it worked pretty well. However after reading the post from Chipster on "Meguires vs. Griots" I'm now considering the switch to Griots. Hopefully the Griots may work a little better?

More importantly, I'm curious to know exactly what towels you use to wipe off the detailing spray? I used those cheap terry cloth towels that come in packs of 3 or 4 that you can buy at Pep Boys or Kragen. I think they are made in Asia somewhere. I probably shouldn't be using these as I have seen some slight swirl marks but this could have been from the application of 3M and Blitz wax last month. Again, here I used those cheap yellow towels you can buy from Pep boys for polish/wax. I think I may buy some 100% cotton towels next time I apply polish and wax. Last question is what are the specific brands you use for this type of application?

Thanks!
ad

Guest84
03-13-2002, 10:58 AM
Where's E36M3 when you need him?? Think Jon just "sicked" him on me when I was bad mouthing Micro fiber towels :D:D

I haven't used Meguiars products for years, maybe E36M3 will come by again (Jon, page him? ;) ) and he'll give ya the scoop.

Dr. Phil
03-13-2002, 11:14 AM
I currently am using Final Inspection and like it. I just received some Speed Shine to try for myself and determine which I prefer. I plan on trying it tomorrow post wax:thumb:

As far as application, I currently have some yellow flannels but have not been very pleased with them:thumbdwn: As part of my Griot's order I got some of these cotton towels (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=14600) . They are very soft and the size is perfect you ease in use:thumb:

I'll provide some more comments after I give the Speed Shine a work out.

Guest84
03-13-2002, 11:29 AM
100% cotton towels from Griots here as well, unbelievable how soft they are..

ad
03-13-2002, 11:46 AM
I have been using these yellow flannels as well for polishing and waxing. They are easy to use but I'm not sure they produce the best results. Looks like the griots 100% towels work well. I'll give it a shot.....thanks!

Chipster
03-13-2002, 08:46 PM
I use the Griot's cotton towels. Nothing against microfiber, just never used it.

By the way, Meguires makes some awesome products and for years I have used Final Inspection on several black cars. I typically buy it in the 1 gallon size. However I don't know if they have changed the chemistry of the product, or I got a bad batch or it is having a reaction with my towels, but I can not get a good clean finish from it.

FYI, I was using the Meguires 3 step, cleaner/polish/carnuba wax process so I was not mixing polymers and carnuba.

So far I have been happy with Speedshine, but I still have my Final Inspection.

If E36M3 works for Meguirs I'd be happy to swing by their place (about 5 miles from my office) and show him what I am talking about. Maybe I'm the goof and am doing something wrong?!?:dunno: