PDA

View Full Version : Z3 How to remove airbag / slip ring

kaare.foerby
03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi

How do I remove the yellow plug connected to the airbag? I have tried to pull hard ...

My project is to replace the slip ring.

KBH22102
03-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Have you removed the black plastic trim panel underneath the steering column? It is held in place by a single screw in the midline of the panel (right above your groin in the driving position). After you remove the screw, just pull down on the panel and it pops off. The connector then easily pops out of its holder and you can pull it apart.

kaare.foerby
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi

Thanks for the answer.

What I have done is removed the two screws on the back of the wheel and got the airbag loose but it is still connected to the wheel with one wire that i dont know to get loose.

I could loose the screew holding the wheel but i guess I still have to get the airbag off to work me back to the slip ring.

KBH22102
03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
The actual electrical socket has some tiny square plastic tabs that need to be pressed in in order to pull the assembly apart. Try gently inserting the end of a paper clip to release it. Ideally you should disconnect your battery's negative terminal before doing this work

kaare.foerby
03-26-2009, 02:44 AM
thanks - i will try that later today ;O)

EOD Guy
03-26-2009, 03:33 AM
Disconnect the batt, I used a tiny flat bladed screw driver to gently pry off the yellow connector. You will have to remove the steering wheel, after you remove the large nut..... mark the shaft and the wheel (if you plan on putting the same wheel back on). The wheel pulls off very easily, remove the three screws holding the slip ring to the wheel.... your done. I used the slip ring from an e39 (single stage airbag) to get steering wheel functionality for my pioneer stereo.

kaare.foerby
03-26-2009, 03:41 AM
Hi

thanks - do you put the screw driver between the yellew connector and the airbag or do you push anything in the connector that makes it to come off?

EOD Guy
03-26-2009, 04:43 PM
I just slipped it between the bottom of the connector and the airbag and gently pryed