PDA

View Full Version : XM solution for 02 under $20.00

dranderia
03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
I am posting pics of my XM set-up. About a year ago, XM brought out the SURE-CONNECT system which basically was an FM transmitter but instead of the signal being picked up from somewhere inside car, this system had a wire that went to the vehicle antenna. It also comes with an adapter for windshield antennas, such as the rear windshield of our cars.

I had originally run the wires under the rear floor mats and plugged the XM unit in to the cigarrette adapter in the BACK of the center console. The wires from the rear window can just be pushed inside the moulding and run down and then under mats.

The antenna for the XM is also easy. See picture.

My problem had been mounting the XM unit. I had just kept it inside the console. I was thinking what a great idea it would be if they had a cup mount docking station and, lo and behold they do...just go to EBAY and type

XM cup mount. It is 9.95 and works fine in our cup holders

This system can be installed in 10 minutes and does not require any invasive procedures.
The only thing you can see as a passenger in the back is the cigarrette lighter adapter.

The sound quality is near CD. I can listen to classical or jazz. I did turn bass down one notch because there is some difference, but an XM solution for under $50.00 including the XM unit...Can"t be bad

Darius

sunny_j
03-31-2009, 04:03 PM
that thing on your roof is fugly

dranderia
03-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for your invaluable input AND I have learnt a new word
Again, many thanks

y.terrone
03-31-2009, 05:13 PM
i thought u could get the sat upgrade at the dealer, or is that option not available for 02 models?

sunny_j
03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for your invaluable input AND I have learnt a new word
Again, many thanks
telling me to "go boil your bum" really hurt my feeling:bawling:

if your going to insult me atleast make it good:rofl:

i thought u could get the sat upgrade at the dealer, or is that option not available for 02 models?

mid 04+ only

y.terrone
03-31-2009, 05:45 PM
so if i had the chance to get my hands on a 04 nav system, would it be possible then?, many thanks sunny_j

sunny_j
03-31-2009, 06:07 PM
no, using a 04 nav unit help at all. also iirc bmw comes pre-wired for sirus only

BobSC
03-31-2009, 06:23 PM
For an external setup, those cup hold mounts come in pretty handy!

I have seen several of those external antennas mounted with the wire run to the trunk and the actual antenna part mounted on the edge of the trunk lid which also looks good.

Nice job.

Blue Bimmer
03-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Great post, thanks.

BMWJim
03-31-2009, 11:33 PM

i agree, if you look closer to the picture of the rood on the left hand side of the antenna it also looks like he just added a few more scratches

honestly OP, cant you at least take the time to hide the wiring correctly so you cant see it???
at least run it to your trunk or soemthing

diznik007
04-01-2009, 12:30 AM

+1, looks real awkward up there.:eek:

dranderia
04-01-2009, 06:49 AM
OK

Just a follow up. The external antenna does not have to go between the front and back doors on the roof. I have found that external mounting gets a better signal. It can go on the rear parcel shelf, but depends on your tint

Guys, bear in mind that this is a quick and frugal way to get XM on an older 745i. It works well and can be taken out at any time. The XM units also work so much better and faster that I like to tune those rather than some of the OEM equipment.

mcfalcons15
04-01-2009, 08:08 AM

Looks like a pimple on your Bimmer :rofl: and where am I supposed to put my 40 of OE.

ImolaMMM
04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
i agree, if you look closer to the picture of the rood on the left hand side of the antenna it also looks like he just added a few more scratches

honestly OP, cant you at least take the time to hide the wiring correctly so you cant see it???
at least run it to your trunk or soemthing

+1
I w/ @ least put it on the trunk. Looks very tacky. I w/ expect to see that on a Malibu or Kia, not a 7.:tsk:

Blue Bimmer
04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Who do you people think you are? Why do you all act like you're someone that matters? The OP never asked for anyones opinion. Since you all have nothing better to do than hang out on a BMW forum, why bash on a guys project? He didn't claim to be an installer, or brag about his setup. The whole point of the post that it was quick and cheap. I can't imagine running into one of you in public.

mcfalcons15
04-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Who do you people think you are? Why do you all act like you're someone that matters? The OP never asked for anyones opinion. Since you all have nothing better to do than hang out on a BMW forum, why bash on a guys project? He didn't claim to be an installer, or brag about his setup. The whole point of the post that it was quick and cheap. I can't imagine running into one of you in public.

Its a forum. If you don't want opinions, then don't post.

ImolaMMM
04-01-2009, 07:26 PM

:soapbox::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah ::blah::blah::blah::blah:

Speaking of which, I don't believe I asked for your opinion on my opinion.:confused: Look, its an open forum. If you post pics you're going to get feedback.
btw, we'd never "run" into each other.... TOTALLY different circles.:D

Its a forum. If you don't want opinions, then don't post.
+1

sunny_j
04-01-2009, 07:34 PM
:soapbox::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah ::blah::blah::blah::blah:

Speaking of which, I don't believe I asked for your opinion on my opinion.:confused: Look, its an open forum. If you post pics you're going to get feedback.
btw, we'd never "run" into each other.... TOTALLY different circles.:D

+1

:rofl::rofl:

Blue Bimmer whats the matter didnt you get your bottle of warm milk today?:dunno:

dranderia
04-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Have you noticed that 70 + people viewed the post but the same tired names gave the same condescending remarks because that is all they have.

The original point was that this was a quick solution for a problem that has been posted on this board countless times. The 02's were not designed for XM and the conversions are very, very costly.

This really does look good from inside the car, and the antenna can be mounted on the roof or, in the cases of some of the losers here, inside some body cavity as far as I'm concerned.

I took the time to take pics because I thought it might help someone..

Let's leave it there, if it helps, great, if not great.:)

dranderia
04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
They do the same thing any time anyone points out how rude they are.

Imola, you have contributed a lot to this board. Why do you have to be like that.

You obviously know a lot about these cars.

Try and be nice. Don't patronize. I would like to think most of us are professionals here.:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thum bdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thum bdwn:

ImolaMMM
04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Have you noticed that 70 + people viewed the post but the same tired names gave the same condescending remarks because that is all they have.

The original point was that this was a quick solution for a problem that has been posted on this board countless times. The 02's were not designed for XM and the conversions are very, very costly.

This really does look good from inside the car, and the antenna can be mounted on the roof or, in the cases of some of the losers here, inside some body cavity as far as I'm concerned.

I took the time to take pics because I thought it might help someone..

Let's leave it there, if it helps, great, if not great.:)

Good grief, stuff a tampon in it, already! Quit being so sensitive!:rolleyes: I'm entitled to my opinion. You came up w/ a great cheap solution:clap: ...seriously, thanks for the info, I'm sure it w/ help some people here.:angel: I simply stated that the antenna w/ look better w/o the wires coming out the door onto the roof. I thought it w/ look better w/ a cleaner/discreet install. In fact, I don't believe I've seen a Hyundai with that type of install. I wasn't trashing your solution, even you'd have to admit that the dangling wires could be cleaned up a bit.

dranderia
04-01-2009, 08:19 PM
"Have you had your warm milk"
"stuff a tampon in it"

Are you serious?

Anyone who isn't offensive must need mothering or must be female.

Are you sure you don't have a truck and live in Mississippi?

:thumbup:

ImolaMMM
04-01-2009, 08:21 PM
They do the same thing any time anyone points out how rude they are.

Imola, you have contributed a lot to this board. Why do you have to be like that.

You obviously know a lot about these cars.

Try and be nice. Don't patronize. I would like to think most of us are professionals here.:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thum bdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thum bdwn:

Like I said in my previous post, I genuinely think you've got a great solution for many here w/ your same problem. My intention w/ not to slight the greater good of your thread. The install just looked rushed. Perhaps you just quickly set it up, took pics of the install & plan on cleaning it up later.:dunno: I think the rest of the guys feel similar but everyone has their own way of communicating. I honestly believe no one that criticized your install had malevolent intentions. Trust me, they'll let you know.

dranderia
04-01-2009, 08:21 PM
OK

Just a follow up. The external antenna does not have to go between the front and back doors on the roof. I have found that external mounting gets a better signal. It can go on the rear parcel shelf, but depends on your tint

Guys, bear in mind that this is a quick and frugal way to get XM on an older 745i. It works well and can be taken out at any time. The XM units also work so much better and faster that I like to tune those rather than some of the OEM equipment.
:tsk::tsk::tsk:
This was posted previous to your bash

ImolaMMM
04-01-2009, 08:33 PM
:tsk::tsk::tsk:
This was posted previous to your bash

:yawn: This is getting old, quick. Obviously, the critics have cut too deep, & you feel like venting. I didn't bash you, & I complimented you for your contribution. You can continue this by yourself. M.Wong feel free to clean this dangling mess up & let it stand as a DIY.
dran, if you choose to harbor ill will, that's totally on you. :thumbup:

M.Wong
04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
: popcorn:

dranderia, your call. I can close it and post it in the DIY section if you wish.

sunny_j
04-01-2009, 11:31 PM
dranderia, i only gave you my opinion, if you cant take criticism i dont think internet forums are for you.

dranderia
04-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Internet Forums are becoming a place where decent. normal people get used to communicating in ways that they would never dream of doing in "Real" life. I think that it is a shame and we are becoming desensitized to it. By your post, am I to assume that we should all accept all behavior, no matter how antisocial, because it is done under the mostly anonymous nature of an internet forum.

Food for thought anyway.

Mr Wong, sure stick it in DIY. It was never meant to be that big a deal.

sunny_j
04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Internet Forums are becoming a place where decent. normal people get used to communicating in ways that they would never dream of doing in "Real" life. I think that it is a shame and we are becoming desensitized to it. By your post, am I to assume that we should all accept all behavior, no matter how antisocial, because it is done under the mostly anonymous nature of an internet forum.

Food for thought anyway.

Mr Wong, sure stick it in DIY. It was never meant to be that big a deal.

trust me even if i saw you in person with that wire on your roof i wouldl tell you its fugly.
what i say on the forum i would say to anyone in "real life".