PDA

View Full Version : Wax test

golfaddict
03-14-2002, 07:56 AM
Could someone please, give me the URL for the wax test website
that everyone talks about??

Guest84
03-14-2002, 08:00 AM
Its no longer available. I'll email Steve today to see whatever happened to their site.

Mr. The Edge
03-14-2002, 08:24 AM
http://www.thewaxtest.org/

Guest84
03-14-2002, 08:36 AM
Hey! Its back up! Great!

golfaddict
03-14-2002, 08:37 AM
Actually.........
it is not really back up, just yet.:cry:

Guest84
03-14-2002, 08:39 AM
Yeah...anyway, I had the original site memorized as far as high ranking Carnauba's go...P21S Carnauba got the highest kudo's, though longevity was in question.

Guest84
03-14-2002, 09:06 AM
Update from Steve at "The Wax test"
Hi Brian,

It'll be up and running in no time. We're working on putting together a
magazine all about thewaxtest, and once it's ready, the site will be ready
too. The site will feature some interactive stuff, new reviews, etc. The
magazine is going to be about 52 pages, no advertising, full color, etc.
It's going to be really sharp. Plus, we're going to be allowed to say what
we really wanted to say, vs. being a little "muted" on our original site.

Thanks for your interest, hope you'll check back with us in a few weeks!

Thanks again,
Steve

golfaddict
03-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Great Research.
Thanks

I just bought a 97 328ic Montreal Blue, I can tell that this car was probably never waxed.

I want the products that will give it the best shine(wet look), and the steps to follow to restore its shine.

Any suggestions????

Guest84
03-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by golfaddict
Great Research.
Thanks

I just bought a 97 328ic Montreal Blue, I can tell that this car was probably never waxed.

I want the products that will give it the best shine(wet look), and the steps to follow to restore its shine.

Any suggestions????

Well, most of your high end waxes will give it that "wet look". You have two paths you can take, "Polymer" waxes (Like Zaino) that will give you longer-life protection (synthetic wax) or "Carnauba-based"..good old fashion wax that will give you may have to apply more frequently than polymers (about every 3 months)

As far as restoring a finish, you should
A) Clay bar
B) Polish
C) Paint cleanser
D) Final wax

Here's a link of my schedule to give you an idea of what I do. I don't mention product names (exception, P21S Paint cleaner, damn good stuff!) but rather finish prep and application.

http://www.beemerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1625

Incidently, you don't want to mix polymer products with carnauba's...so decide which is for you before you start to buy a bunch of products that may not work well with one another.

Also note that everything I mention can be done without a random orbital polisher.

eugeneDC/TX
03-14-2002, 11:09 AM
~Using Porter Cable (PC) I apply polish 2 ft. by 2 ft. section at a time.
~Using PC, apply P21S Paint Cleaner. Same method as polish.

rip - so another detailing question from me. i'm about to do my first big spring detail so please bear with me. you apply a polish (e.g. zaino z-5 or 3m ihg) then the p21s? would it make a difference that p21s is a caranuba (at least the wax not sure about the paint cleaner) and zaino is polymer? thanks. oh and maybe you can answer my question from below, can i get high quality applicator sponges from stores rather than griot's?

Guest84
03-14-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX

rip - so another detailing question from me. i'm about to do my first big spring detail so please bear with me. you apply a polish (e.g. zaino z-5 or 3m ihg) then the p21s? would it make a difference that p21s is a caranuba (at least the wax not sure about the paint cleaner) and zaino is polymer? thanks. oh and maybe you can answer my question from below, can i get high quality applicator sponges from stores rather than griot's?

I used the Pep boys sponge applicators for years, but all on white finishes...not sure how good they are, and white don't tell tales that black does! I didn't become concerned about the applicators until I owned black.

As far as the P21S goes, you polish, then apply P21S before the final wax stage. As far as using in conjunction with Zaino, I would be very cautious, they may have different chemicals in each that would not make them compatible...I believe Zaino brothers have similiar product to that of a "Paint Cleaner" like P21S,...I would go for that stuff....Alee? Help out here if you can.

eugeneDC/TX
03-14-2002, 11:41 AM
rip, thanks. i believe their swirlie stuff is the z5. who knows, i'm going to give zaino a whirl cuz it's a pita to apply blitz.... seeing bol's pics make me want to try p21s stuff.... but i'll give the zaino a whirl first. thanks a lot

Guest84
03-14-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX
rip, thanks. i believe their swirlie stuff is the z5. who knows, i'm going to give zaino a whirl cuz it's a pita to apply blitz.... seeing bol's pics make me want to try p21s stuff.... but i'll give the zaino a whirl first. thanks a lot

I've heard nothing but good stuff about Zaino. For a polymer, if I went that route, I'd choose Zaino first. Especially if I lived in harsh conditions of extreme heat, or extreme cold.