PDA

View Full Version : Who owns one with Rear Entertainment Package?

dm5272
04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
I see pics with the controller of the rear in the center console, and I see other pics with a separate remote control!? I dont want to ask the dealer since they know less than me about the new 7.
Has anyone seen this or should I post pics?

I have sen pics of 7 with the TV and the controller is in the center armrest with a knob similar to the front passenger. And then I see another picture that a remote control instead is used to access the TV. WTF!!!?!?

Is this another Canada has it but not the US - situation?

BmW745On19's
04-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I too am puzzled by this.

The one I was looking at Saturday had the rear entertainment package with the two TVs but it had a little remote control, which I thought was rather dumb.

How do you get the rear iDrive controller?

dm5272
04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
I too am puzzled by this.

The one I was looking at Saturday had the rear entertainment package with the two TVs but it had a little remote control, which I thought was rather dumb.

How do you get the rear iDrive controller?

A remote is not good / but both options would be great - I currently have a center console controller with my rear ent. system on my '06 750i - I don't want to have a remote!

Here are the pics I am talking about. Scary thing is at the dealer I saw one sold with rear ent. ad I did not see the center console on the arm rest.:dunno:

dm5272
04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
It looks like the more I look into this the more I get dissapointed.

It appears that Canada can order Active Steering & Individual Package combined - US cannot!
IT also appears that in the US, the rear TV is only for watching Videos - NOT THE IDRIVE!!! Which is why the US version has a remote control, while Canada gets a rear iDrive controller on the arm rest.

This is aweful for the US at least and my taste.
Also - the Canada screen is a 9.4 in widescreen, while the US is an 8 inch screen.
A Series WTF!!!!!!!!?????? is in order!

sunny_j
04-14-2009, 09:51 PM
It looks like the more I look into this the more I get dissapointed.

It appears that Canada can order Active Steering & Individual Package combined - US cannot!
IT also appears that in the US, the rear TV is only for watching Videos - NOT THE IDRIVE!!! Which is why the US version has a remote control, while Canada gets a rear iDrive controller on the arm rest.

This is aweful for the US at least and my taste.
Also - the Canada screen is a 9.4 in widescreen, while the US is an 8 inch screen.
A Series WTF!!!!!!!!?????? is in order!

thats pretty f*cked up. even when the e65/66 came out US couldnt get steptronic transmission it only could downshift while the 02 canadian models had the steptronic tranny. i guess you might be able to get those features the way you like it next year. also keep in mind the the first year or two F01 are going to have the same pos 6sp tranny that we had in the E65/66 and if you didnt already know there are tons of shifting/jerking forward problems.

BMR2009
04-20-2009, 07:31 PM
I did some research into this and found that the German cars not only have the controller in the back, but also internet. Oh, but we can't have it in the US. Bummer.

dm5272
04-30-2009, 03:27 PM
I read somewhere in this forum that the rear entertainment TV's do not handle two separate inputs.

But after reading the first stucky thread on this forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296081
PDF called New 7 Series Product Info Bundle
Page 30
Last paragraph states that this IS a possibility, allowing one person to play a game while the other watches a movie. And that there are two sources for Video Play - the one provided in the rear center, and the 6 DVD Changer in the front.

Can anyone confirm? Or did I miss read? OR let me guess Canada & Germany can, but not the US:eek:
Anyone?

rallyenick
05-01-2009, 04:25 PM
The US cars get a remote control and the non US cars get the rear I Drive with internet access. I drove the German version in Munich and the internet was a bit slow but it worked well, especially on those nice 9.5" screens. The German cars also read the speed limits from the autobahn and display them on the HUD (VERY much needed at 240km ).

The advantage with the remote control as opposed to the I Drive is that 3 people can sit in the back seat and control the DVDs whereas with the I Drive the armrest is down only allowing 2 passengers in the rear.

fq
05-06-2009, 10:59 PM
On the E66, the rear iDrive controllers were part of the rear luxury seating package. I would imagine that the F01 has the same configuration: you only get remotes for the RSE if you don't have rear luxury seats but you get both the remotes and the iDrive if the car has rear luxury seats and RSE.

chrischeung
05-07-2009, 11:44 AM
On the E66, the rear iDrive controllers were part of the rear luxury seating package. I would imagine that the F01 has the same configuration: you only get remotes for the RSE if you don't have rear luxury seats but you get both the remotes and the iDrive if the car has rear luxury seats and RSE.

Check out the picture in post #3. Definitely rear comfort seats without the rear iDrive.

dm5272
05-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Check out the picture in post #3. Definitely rear comfort seats without the rear iDrive.

I already placed my order - I ordered rear comfort, and enter. pkg - a remote is the only option. US market is the only remote option - all other locations (Canada, Germany, etc..) get the idrive :(

horrible horrible horrible! :mad: I HATE the look of the center armrest without the idrive - removing this from the US mkes no sense - its like someone @ BMW lost a fkn bet or something. :mad:
The Neiman Marcus (US) 7 series had the iDrive!

manithemoneyman
05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I've remember reading through the BMW manuals too and they also said something about the US market not getting any IDrive controllers in the rear, no matter the options. Forgot what the reason was though...

Disappointing really...

Beemaboy
05-11-2009, 02:06 AM
I've remember reading through the BMW manuals too and they also said something about the US market not getting any IDrive controllers in the rear, no matter the options. Forgot what the reason was though...

Damn...the Germans must really hate America!!!

briansbimmer
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I am picking up a 750li this week. So I downloaded the owners manual in a PDF file and have been reading it. Want to be pretty confident of layout and controls so I can enjoy driving it. I'll worry about rear entertainmnet, loading music, and other stuff like that after I have had the car for a week or so. As long as I can play a DVD, scroll through Sirius stations, mate my phone....I'm good to go. Downloading music to hard drive and having the rear screen read from the front 6 disc changer is something that can wait.

It's true...U.S. is remote only. But a couple of abilities that have not been mentioned. The unit between the seats in the back can have two seperate systems hooked up to it...one for each screen. Not by an HDMI cable but RCA jacks, yellow, red, white. That is in addition to the DVD player. Headphone jacks for each screen, or on the bottom of each monitor there is an "infrared interface" "inquire at your authorized BMW center for which infrared headphones are supported by the infrared interface." It's funny there is a section titled "Rear Entertainment" and one titled "Professional Rear Entertainment." guess which one the U.S gets? The professional is the one with the IDrive in back...something neat about that is the driver can make the back IDrive the dominant one for entertainment purposes. The back seat passenger could then control radio, satellite, disc changer, IPod etc., etc. Driver can take control back if the passenger plays some music he dislikes.

If it's any consolation to US buyers....the remote has a dial at the top with buttons around it and kind of operates like an iDrive, and it clips into a special place in the seat divider compartment once you open it. So at least it won't be ratteling around in the passenger divider.

hayden
06-11-2009, 09:46 PM
I bet they will offer the "Professional" Rear Entertainmnet on the 760 when it arrives.

briansbimmer
06-13-2009, 07:38 AM
I have had my new 7 now for a little over a month and can say a bit more about the Rear Entertainment Package and attach some pictures. I bought the Rear Entertainment Package because I have a place at the shore that is a three hour drive from my home. I make that drive about 5 times a month in the summer and 2 to 3 times a month the rest of the year. The drive goes by really quick for my guests and friends. Only drawback is when 2 rear passengers are watching a movie I cannot listen to music at the volume that I would like. The solution is for the driver to listen to talk radio or a podcast.

I would prefer to have the controller available in the european market as opposed to the remote control...but having said that it is really no big deal.

From the settings menu scroll down to the bottom of the list and click on "Allow Rear Control." That takes you to another screen where the driver has 4 options. The first is "Driver Control," in this setting the rear passenger can access any part of the cars entertainment system that the driver is not using. The rear passenger can then use headphones to listen to the 6 disc changer, satellite, am, fm, iPod, anything that the driver is not using. Or if they have their own iPod they can use a cable to connect it to the DVD player and then listen or watch movies from their iPod. As I said in a previous post, the rear DVD player accepts two different auxiliary inputs.

The driver can choose "Equal Control," in this setting the car's entertainment system will obey the last command regardless of where it comes from. So the driver can tell where the rear passenger is and if driver chooses can bump them out and vice, versa. Driver or passenger can tell where the other is at because on the screen that option is not as bright as the others. If the rear passenger has headphones on and driver has the volume at even a moderate level there is no way to tell....except by seeing it on the screen.

Third option from the "Allow Rear Control" menu is "Rear Control has Priority." In this setting the driver cannot access options that the rear passenger is using. Rear passenger can bump out driver from 6 disc changer if passenger wants to do that, or any other option that the driver is using.

Finally....the fourth setting from the "Allow Rear Control" menu is "Switch Off Rear DVD." In this setting when and if the rear passenger pushes the power button for their screen (on the left and right side of DVD player) a message appears that system is off and driver must enable.

Some other stuff. If driver wants to listen to the movie so passengers do not have to wear headphones he navigates from the CD menu to the rear DVD player and then the sound from movie plays through speakers. If driver want to listen to one of the rear passengers iPods he can navigate to that also, cannot control the iPod from drivers seat but can listen to iPods plugged into rear DVD player.

That's it. Here are some pic's. Car is awesome. I gave up my 2004 545i. The navigation system is much improved. Different routes to a destination highlighted on map for your choosing. Especially useful is the traffic updates...a chime tells you there is a potential problem and you navigate to read text...then suggests alternate routes. I have the Sports Package and you can choose "Sport +," "Sport," "Normal," or "Comfort." What is really nice is from the "Sport" screen you can choose to only set up the chassis and leave the engine settings alone. Gives the car (and it is really big) a feel closer to what the 545i felt like but gas mileage of the normal mode. Gas mileage by the way is awful....but the car is so much fun.

hayden
06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the details and the pics. A few questions:

1. Can the driver turn on a specific rear seat screen, and begin playing a DVD? I have an 18 month old and can do this in my Range Rover Sport. I can't see the video, but I can hit the play button when I hear the menu come up to start the video.

2. If not, I assume I would have to use the remote myself from the front seat?

3. Are wireless headphones (or any headphones) included? I see them listed as a $120 (each) accessory but don't know if you get any with the system.

4. Can the driver/passanger watch a DVD while the car is stopped like on the S class?

briansbimmer
06-13-2009, 02:10 PM
I can answer some of those questions. The driver has no ability to turn on an individual screen. I could be wrong, reason I do not think so is I'm pretty sure I have been everywhere you can go in the iDrive interface and I have seen nothing that indicates you can do that. Nothing. Each screen has to be turned on with the power button on the left or right of DVD player. I do not even think it will accept a DVD unless one of the screens is on. I also do not think that using the remote from front seat will work...never tried it...think it has to be pointed at device. But it may..I'll check. No headphones come with the system. BMW does sell some that work with a infrared interface at the bottom of each screen..."check with your authorized BMW dealer to see which headphones work with the infrared interface" to quote the owners manual. I was told by my CA that you can watch DVD from the front screen while in park...I have not tried to do that. I could with my 545i after I got a firmware update when I had it in for service.

I'm OK with the wired headphones. I wanted noise canceling headphones and got a set from Best Buy..."beats by dr. dre." they are great. I suppose if I had children I would prefer wireless. I think you would have to start the DVD for the kids and then drive. Would be a pain...sounds like your Range Rover has a nice set up.

Sounds like your on the fence about getting one. I love the car. Really powerful and does not drive like you would expect for a car of it's size. Very solid on the road. Premium Sound is fantastic. 16 speakers and a subwoofer under each front seat. I have read people knocking the Premium Sound and I do not understand it. For my ears it is crystal clear at high volumes with plenty of base. I can feel the base in my legs at high volumes which I listen to music at when alone in car. Most people who ride with me are uncomfortable at the volumes I listen to music at.

hayden
06-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not on the fence... I already puller the trigger. :) ED scheduled for Aug 27. 750Li with all options. This would be a small annoyance.

That's unfortuntate that I wont be able to control it from the front seat. I guess I will have to reach back and push the button to turn it on, then hope the remote works... or turn it on before the trip as you say.

I also hope that we eventually get a firmware update to show traffic on freeways as colors along the entire road (like Google Maps: red for heavy traffic, yellow for moderate). The S class shows traffic as tiny little cars that are either red or yellow along the route. And the LS colors the route just like on Google Maps. Both seem to be better than just a triangle showing an incident that the new 7 shows. (I realize it does alert you to upcoming traffic with the option to reroute).

clambros
06-13-2009, 03:42 PM
... Gas mileage by the way is awful....but the car is so much fun.

amen

briansbimmer
06-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Totally off topic for this thread....but I did check my gas mileage. 19.018 miles per gallon. I suppose that is not to bad considering the weight of the car and engine. This was 70% highway driving the rest city traffic, included in that was a couple of 15 to 20 minute periods in the Sport mode with engine and chassis changes both. A great road that I travel on a few times a week many twisty areas and elevation changes. I know the road by heart and it is great fun tearing it up. Never any cops...knock on wood. Also I have a pretty heavy foot even in highway driving. So...19mpg is OK all considered.

I'm going to start a new thread on service problems experienced by 750 buyers (F01, and F02) in the first few thousand miles. What it was, when did it happen, how was it resolved, happy with service at dealer and which one, how long did it take to diagnose. I did have to have my telematics unit replaced. More details on new thread.

I was curious to the guy who ordered the loaded 750li for ED. What is your current car...ooks like Mercedes. Wondering your reasons for changing to the 750li?

hayden
06-18-2009, 01:07 PM
I was curious to the guy who ordered the loaded 750li for ED. What is your current car...ooks like Mercedes. Wondering your reasons for changing to the 750li?

I currently drive a 2004 E500. I was all set and ready to purchase a refreshed 2010 S550 with ED pickup on August 27th. (same date as my BMW ED now)

I had second thoughts about the interior of the S, and decided to test drive both cars on the same day... one after the other. I showed up at the MB dealer and drove an S550 AMG (without ABC or Premium Leather since they didn't have either available on the lot). I then went to the BMW dealer and drove a 750Li with sport package.

I left feeling more confused than ever. I was genuinely torn between the two. It was simple in my mind... the exterior of the S was far more distinguished and had more character. The interior of the 7 felt much more intimate, functional and comfortable. Both were amazingly fast and had all the bells and whistles I would need. The S class felt as though it was "floating" on the road, where as the 7 felt more aggressive and attached to it.

We ended up having lunch then going back the BMW dealer for another drive, and then finally to the MB dealer to drive the S one last time. I made up my mind on the way home and called to arrange ED with BMW a few hours later.

Since having made the decision, the exterior of the 7 has grown on me quite a bit and I am extremely happy with my choice. If I'm being honest, IMO the S still has a more "distinguished" look... but itís also more "mature". The 7 felt younger and sportier.

Can't wait to see it in Munich.

briansbimmer
06-19-2009, 05:37 AM
Hey Hayden...I feel you. A friend of mine has a Mercedes 350 deisel and I get many opportunities to drive it. We sometimes trade for a day if I need an SUV. That is the excact term I use to describe the Mercedes 350...Floating. It throws me all around the car. I really hate it.

I think you get a better value with the loaded 750li as compared to the AMG. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

My business partner has a Mercedes like yours and he loves it. Not the AMG. I also hear you as far as the lag betwenn really getting in the gas and getting the results. You really notice it. In that respect...response to throttle...there is a lag...my 545i was more responsive...but after the twin turbos kick in..*****!! What's the horse power of the AMG, something like 550...I really do not need that much. The 750li has all the power I'll ever need.

I have had my car in for service a few times and got a 5 series loaner and after having the 7 for a few moths the 5 seems so small and cramped to me now. I love all the room. My second German car and I have come to the conclusion that nobody builds a car like the Germans. I would be open to a Mercedes down the road...but I plan on keeping this car for the whole 100K miles service and warranty I bought. Got to keep a car like this for a long time to get your money out of it. Even with keeping it for a long time...put it this way I am under no illusion that this car was an "investment." Unless all the pleasure I derive from it can be considered an investment.

Anyway...good luck. Hope you like the car when you get it and are satisfied. I think you will be. Finally you previously mentioned the navigation in the Mercedes showing on the map the slow down or accident on your route...BMW does the same thing...after you scroll to the the text warning to see what the problem is. There is a package you can buy with more extensive Road Side Assistance...they'll make reservations for hotels, food, even theater tickets, suggest attractions, and you get the google maps. Like a peronal concierge. I suppose if my business required a lot of sales calls and travel I may have purchased it.

Brian

dm5272
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Briansbimmer.....
AWESOME report on the rear entertainment
I cant wait for mine - watch out for my ED updates when I do.
Also - Can you post some pics? Or post a link of where they are already uploaded!

Thanks!!!!

dm5272
06-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm not on the fence... I already puller the trigger. :) ED scheduled for Aug 27. 750Li with all options. This would be a small annoyance.

Congrats Hayden!!!
My pickup is on June 30th.....
Citrin Black :)

hayden
06-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks briansbimmer... I'm sure I'll be satisfied too. I imagine it will feel quite a bit bigger and i'll have to adjust to the huge void from the front seat to my 16 month old girl sitting in the waaaay back. :)

I think you get a better value with the loaded 750li as compared to the AMG.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the AMG sports package... not a E55/E63 or a S63.

Congrats Hayden!!!
My pickup is on June 30th.....
Citrin Black

Thanks dm5272. I'll look forward to seeing your photos. It seems like an eternity from here to the end of August.

briansbimmer
06-20-2009, 07:01 AM
To dm5272...you did see the pic's at the bottom of my post on the entertainment system? Your asking for picks of the whole car and some of interior? If so....I have some I took at a friends house but it was rainy and ugly out and I want to post pic's in a nice setting when the car is spotless. I got the Mineral White Metallic, with the Tan and Black interior, pretty loaded with the exception of night vision, assisted cruise control. I got everything else. No night vision because it does not outline deer like it does people so for me my main fear is deer where I live and figured why bother. I do wish I would have got active cruise. I'm sorry I did not get that. I like the speed limit displayed in the heads up display. Uses the GPS and a camera by the rear view mirror to read speed limit signs, but only if you have active cruise control. The heads up display is great. Displays next turn when you have a destination active in navigation.

And to Hayden...I do not know much about Mercedes...so I take it your not talking about the AMG with the hand built engine? Don't they start at 135K for the flagship Mercedes. By the time you add nice options I would think you could easily get to 145K.

To anyone else with the rear entertainment, do you have trouble navigating the main menu page of a DVD. I have to use the BMW controls that appear on side of screen when you press middle button on remote. So, for instance, I was watching a DVD of the first season of "Mad Men" and the DVD had four episodes on it. Instead of using the DVD main menu I had to hit next chapter button until I got to the second episode as I had already watched the first. Real pain in the ***. What am I missing? I got where I wanted to go but it was cumbersome and there has got to be a better way.

hayden
06-20-2009, 11:01 AM
And to Hayden...I do not know much about Mercedes...so I take it your not talking about the AMG with the hand built engine? Don't they start at 135K for the flagship Mercedes. By the time you add nice options I would think you could easily get to 145K.

Right, I'm referring to the AMG sport package option on the S550. (Not an S63 or S63 which start at $131k and $199k respectively)

The AMG sport package costs $5,700 and include "AMG" style front, side and rear lower bodywork and staggered width 19" 5-spoke "AMG" style alloy wheels.

IloveMy730
09-04-2011, 03:05 AM
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, my kids lost the rear entertainment remote control ( 730 , 2010 model) the price indicated by the dealer is quite high (~400$). do you think there is a ""compatible" " one at reasonable price? I tried online with no luck.

Any help would be really appreciated.

chrischeung
09-04-2011, 07:44 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-3-Device-Flashlight-Remote-Control-Black/14554647?findingMethod=rr

Something like this? Just have someone with a remote program it for you then mail it to you.

IloveMy730
09-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks Chrischeung,

The problem is that I am not sure about whether or not the original remote uses IR technology therefore I am not sure if I can use a programmable IR device to replace

Anyone have some idea?

Kroose
09-05-2011, 01:07 AM
I have a 2011 750LI and My rear entertainment system looks nothing like "dm5272". Like Mine has the remote but it does not have the controller or the little black sliding thing on the arm rest. It doesn't have the second compartment "Inside" the seat either! Instead my remote sits in the all leather arm rest (there is a place for it so it doesn't slide around) What i found was nice about it is the passengers can listen to their own music in the back seat (with headphones) and I can listen to my own music in the front seat. Can someone explain why my rear entertainment doesnt have a controller and or compartment in the seat??

Michael W.
09-05-2011, 02:40 AM
I have a 2011 750LI and My rear entertainment system looks nothing like "dm5272". Like Mine has the remote but it does not have the controller or the little black sliding thing on the arm rest. It doesn't have the second compartment "Inside" the seat either! Instead my remote sits in the all leather arm rest (there is a place for it so it doesn't slide around) What i found was nice about it is the passengers can listen to their own music in the back seat (with headphones) and I can listen to my own music in the front seat. Can someone explain why my rear entertainment doesnt have a controller and or compartment in the seat??

You don't have the luxury rear seating, so you have a standard armrest without storage compartments.

The lack of the rear i-drive and the smaller screens, only in the US market, is baffling. The E65/E66 rear entertainment comes with the i-drive controller, so it appears with the F01/F02 it is a step backwards. Even on the 760 the screens are smaller and no i-drive. One would think it would be more problematic for BMW to have two different configurations rather than standardizing on a single configuration.