PDA

View Full Version : End of service warranty inspection?

jeffmc
12-27-2001, 10:02 AM
My 2000 323i is getting close to 36K miles and the brakes are squeking a little. Should I take it in for an end of warranty inspection and see if they will give me new brakes and have them check for anything else that needs replaced?

Will they really fix things that are close to needing replaced, like brakes? I just don't want to have to replace brake and rotors come 37-40K.

What else should I have them check?

TIA,

Jeff

doubletee
12-27-2001, 10:14 AM
I don't think things like brakes, tires, etc, are covered under the warranty or service agreements. They're things that are designed to wear and, to a great degree, depend upon how the vehicle's driven.

Could be wrong, though, so don't necessarily take my word for it. I know these things weren't covered on the E36s.

The HACK
12-27-2001, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by doubletee
I don't think things like brakes, tires, etc, are covered under the warranty or service agreements. They're things that are designed to wear and, to a great degree, depend upon how the vehicle's driven.

Could be wrong, though, so don't necessarily take my word for it. I know these things weren't covered on the E36s.

Yes they are...At least they are for '00 or later production cars. All full maintenance cover wear and tear items such as brakes and all BMWs produced after '00 are covered under full maintenance.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't change your brakes. They'll probably cite the brake pads and rotors are within operating range. When I changed out my front brakes I noticed that only about 4-5 mm (less than 1/8th of an inch) are left on the pad up front, and I just had inspection I and had asked them to look at the pads for wear. They won't change your pads unless the brake liner warning light is on, and that only comes on when the pads are worned to the metallic backing plate.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

jeffmc
12-27-2001, 10:21 AM
Yeah, that is what I figured.

Should I just ride the hell out of my brakes for the next 1000 miles? :)

jeffmc
12-27-2001, 12:00 PM
BTT