PDA

View Full Version : SAT Radio in EU

uglietta
04-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know if the US SAT radio option works in Europe after ED?

beewang
04-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Short Answer: No!!

Long Answer:

There are 2 issues:

1) You need to call-in to Sirius to activate your Sat Radio, frankly I have not done that as I didn't feel like spending $1.00 per minute on my cell phone calling back to US and being put on hold.

2) Word is that the Sat Radio is using geostationary satellites / geosynchronous satellites
and their signal will stay constant at North America.

Snareman
04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't think it works over there. Here is the satellite path

http://www.k0lee.com/images/sirius_xm_orbits.gif

skywalkerbeth
04-17-2009, 11:25 AM
I have also heard, from a satellite guy, that in the US, in major metro areas, your "satellite service" is really ground service - similar to regular radio stations. It only becomes true satellite when you are in a rural location. I also would wonder if the guts of your device aren't specced specifically to US satellite bands.

AggieKnight
04-17-2009, 12:53 PM
I have also heard, from a satellite guy, that in the US, in major metro areas, your "satellite service" is really ground service - similar to regular radio stations. It only becomes true satellite when you are in a rural location. I also would wonder if the guts of your device aren't specced specifically to US satellite bands.
I've been told the same thing. Not understanding how the system works in detail (I only know about telecommunications satellites and only style broadcast ones), I can't say whether I believe it or not.

The main issue, though, is that the satellites that it uses don't go over Europe.

Something just occurred to me - I guess I can't rely on live traffic update on my Nav when I'm in Europe next week, eh? Dang. No gmaps traffic on my iPhone, no live traffic on my Sat-Nav...its going to be like taking a step back to the 90's next week. =o

beewang
04-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Live traffic will work. It appears to be feeding from the FM radio signal

JSPira is more in tune w/ this, perhaps he can chime in. Me??!! I don't GAS, I am just and end-user and it just needs to work when I use it. Don't really care how the mechanism function on the system. Life is just too short....:p

JSpira
04-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Something just occurred to me - I guess I can't rely on live traffic update on my Nav when I'm in Europe next week, eh?
why?

AggieKnight
04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
why?

The live traffic on my acura worked off of XM Radio...I guess I (wrongly) assumed that the same paradigm applied in the bimmer...

I can tell by your tone that I am wrong, so I'll just wander away at this point...

beewang
04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
The live traffic on my acura worked off of XM Radio...I guess I (wrongly) assumed that the same paradigm applied in the bimmer...

I can tell by your tone that I am wrong, so I'll just wander away at this point...

1) Yes you are!!

2) Acura Sux!!

3) Don't EVER compare Hondas to "Da YouDeeEmm"
:p

Keep Walking!!!! Left... right...Left..right....Left... right...Left..right....Left... right...Left..right....Left... right...Left..right....Left... right...Left..right....

AggieKnight
04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Keep Walking!!!! Left... right...Left..right....Left... right...Left..right....Left... right...Left..right....Left... right...Left..right....Left... right...Left..right....

Yup, I'm just gonna keep on walk, walk, walking towards my ED that I leave on in exactly 7 days 47 minutes...

JSpira
04-17-2009, 01:40 PM
1) Yes you are!!

2) Acura Sux!!

3) Don't EVER compare Hondas to "Da YouDeeEmm"
:p

what exactly did you eat for breakfast today? Did you overdose on Red Bull?

JSpira
04-17-2009, 01:40 PM

Wow, I said one word... pretty impressive :thumbup:

beewang
04-17-2009, 01:55 PM
what exactly did you eat for breakfast today? Did you overdose on Red Bull?

You ever had a Red Bull?I've never had a Red Bull before but I had a Red Bull last night I really like Red Bull. :D

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2008/12/17/arts_yesman_584.jpg

Northcar
04-17-2009, 03:15 PM
For what it is worth, SAT Radio does not even work here in my corner of the United States which is why I opted only for HD.

Asteroid
04-17-2009, 03:35 PM
You ever had a Red Bull?I've never had a Red Bull before but I had a Red Bull last night I really like Red Bull. :D

Maybe you need Blue Cow instead

http://www.bluecowdrink.com/images/homeimage.jpg

Northcar
04-17-2009, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=beewang;4102417]You ever had a Red Bull?I've never had a Red Bull before but I had a Red Bull last night I really like Red Bull. :D

Of course the highlight of an ED travel to Salzburg has to be driving past the Red Bull Headquarters just outside of Salzburg.

The World International Headquarters of Red Bull:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/dalejay/redbull.jpg

ucdbiendog
04-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Short Answer: No!!

Long Answer:

There are 2 issues:

1) You need to call-in to Sirius to activate your Sat Radio, frankly I have not done that as I didn't feel like spending $1.00 per minute on my cell phone calling back to US and being put on hold.

2) Word is that the Sat Radio is using geostationary satellites / geosynchronous satellites
and their signal will stay constant at North America.

I believe Sirius has some LEO (Low Earth Orbit) satellites as well (my company is building one now), so you MIGHT be able to get a signal there.