PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level Indicator low bleep - Ok to drive?

sf_loft
04-21-2009, 07:34 PM
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> So this morning my low oil level indicator went off at ~15,500 miles, basically the car is asking me to top it off. Few minutes later the warning goes away and when I check the oil level indicator within i-drive, it says that the oil level is "OK" and the green bar indicates that it is right in the middle between Min and Max. Didn't go off the entire day and my guess is that it was on an incline that threw off the reading. I brought it in to the closest BMW dealership by work and asked if they could top it off. They tell me that they will only top it off for free if I bought it from them. The service guy then helped me out by looking at the oil reading and he said that it should be ok since the computer show 1600 miles before my first scheduled service appointment. He said that I could go buy a quart of oil, but it would simply be a waste since I will be changing it soon. He says that there is plenty of oil if the indicator is at the midpoint and I should be fine. What do you guys think I should do? Top it off or wait a few weeks before I take it in for service?

Thanks.

Calif65GM
04-21-2009, 07:56 PM
You should be fine for 1600 miles. It also depends how much do you drive and how long do you think it'll be before you hit the scheduled oil change.

westwest888
04-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Car has just shy of 7 quarts. The "low" light coming on when you park means you're down about 1/2 a quart to 1 quart. If the oil light comes on when you start driving, that means you are down 1.5 to 2 quarts. That's, uh, bad. Ask me how I know.

x986
04-21-2009, 10:12 PM
How was it before? If you parked on a down slope, that was the problem. Mid mark should certainly be good for another 1500 miles. Twice I have gone from full to "your car will die" low shortly after parking with nose down hill. CHECK YOUR OIL ONCE A WEEK!!

sf_loft
04-21-2009, 11:00 PM
How was it before? If you parked on a down slope, that was the problem. Mid mark should certainly be good for another 1500 miles. Twice I have gone from full to "your car will die" low shortly after parking with nose down hill. CHECK YOUR OIL ONCE A WEEK!!

My garage is level and when I started, everything was fine. I then pulled out of my garage and sat on the down slope of the driveway for about 5 minutes waiting for traffic and trying to dial a number. I've noticed that it takes a few for the oil status check to give you a reading and it probably gave me a reading as I was sitting in the driveway. I went into the i-drive menu for oil status and it showed ok and the green bars are exactly half-way. The mechanic said I should be fine, but I think I'm going to purchase a quart tomorrow morning and stash it in the trunk if it happens in the next 1600 miles more frequently.