PDA

View Full Version : Gonna change my X5 oil after break-in!

Masskrug
07-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Yup.

Bought me 8 quarts of BMW stuff and the filter.
Stealer charged around 35 bucks.
Get her up on ramps.
Change the oil, then let'er rip! Can't wait.

P.S. What would you do? Change it at around 1000 miles before taking a 600 mile round trip, or do it after, at 1600-1700 miles?

SupraRZ
07-26-2003, 12:16 AM
Yup.

Bought me 8 quarts of BMW stuff and the filter.
Stealer charged around 35 bucks.
Get her up on ramps.
Change the oil, then let'er rip! Can't wait.

P.S. What would you do? Change it at around 1000 miles before taking a 600 mile round trip, or do it after, at 1600-1700 miles?

All depends on how dirty your oil is... Are you planning to keep the car for awhile? If so you might also want to send a small sample of your oil for some analysis just for kicks.. blackstone.com

Masskrug
07-27-2003, 09:28 PM
All right! Done! At 1187 miles. Actually used up all 8 quarts I bought.

Great to have all that dialogue with fellow X5 enthusiasts!

The metal shield that guards the engine block underneath is a PITA. Yeah, its got a little flapperoo that you lower down to get to the drain bolt, but the shield collects all the oil that dribbles down towards the end of the draining process. Then its dribbles oil all over your garage, driveway, etc. Sucks.

If anyone has a solution, please post!

Patrick330i
07-27-2003, 09:49 PM
All right! Done! At 1187 miles. Actually used up all 8 quarts I bought.

Great to have all that dialogue with fellow X5 enthusiasts!

The metal shield that guards the engine block underneath is a PITA. Yeah, its got a little flapperoo that you lower down to get to the drain bolt, but the shield collects all the oil that dribbles down towards the end of the draining process. Then its dribbles oil all over your garage, driveway, etc. Sucks.

If anyone has a solution, please post!

Cat litter, absorption, then removal? :dunno:

Masskrug
07-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Cat litter, absorption, then removal? :dunno:

Well, I did clean up the dribbles. But there will be more to come over the next few days. PITA.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried to change their oil and found a better solution to PREVENTING the oil from dribbling onto the shield. I guess a funnel would be the best solution as the flow begins to subside. :mad:

mquetel
07-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Well, I did clean up the dribbles. But there will be more to come over the next few days. PITA.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried to change their oil and found a better solution to PREVENTING the oil from dribbling onto the shield. I guess a funnel would be the best solution as the flow begins to subside. :mad:

oil extractor?
http://www.webs4racers.com/bmw/oil/

I assume (but don't know if) this would work with an X5. :dunno:

Masskrug
07-27-2003, 10:20 PM
oil extractor?

Old fashioned. edit: me, not the extractor.

I think (but cannot prove) the old drain method removes more dependent particulate matter. Plus it lets me get a good look underneath the car to spot any trouble early.

Emission
07-28-2003, 12:14 AM
The old drain sucks, but it does work well (and gets you under there noticing things).

My 4Runner also had shields that collected and dripped. Even my Passat has tons of aero-plastic shields that drip for days. I cannot get around the issue either.

Oh, as far as my X5 goes, I am only changing the oil every 15,000 miles. The filter will go every 7,500 (I just changed it last month). Synthetic is pretty durable stuff, and my X5 never really sees a workout anyway.

Masskrug
07-28-2003, 10:51 AM
The old drain sucks, but it does work well (and gets you under there noticing things).

My 4Runner also had shields that collected and dripped. Even my Passat has tons of aero-plastic shields that drip for days. I cannot get around the issue either.

Oh, as far as my X5 goes, I am only changing the oil every 15,000 miles. The filter will go every 7,500 (I just changed it last month). Synthetic is pretty durable stuff, and my X5 never really sees a workout anyway.

I know that the color of the oil is not indicator of its protective ability, but at 1100 miles, boy, the oil was DIRTY LOOKING.

Plus, I swear there was particulate matter at the bottom of the milk jugs I put the oil into for recycling. Can't prove it though. Maybe I should've saved some and sent it into Blackstone.

SergioK
07-29-2003, 09:25 AM
I know that the color of the oil is not indicator of its protective ability, but at 1100 miles, boy, the oil was DIRTY LOOKING.

Plus, I swear there was particulate matter at the bottom of the milk jugs I put the oil into for recycling. Can't prove it though. Maybe I should've saved some and sent it into Blackstone.

Yup, that way you'd have a really good history of the engine's use from new.

I just had mine done for the 1st time (with 65,000 miles on the odo) and no abnormal signs of wear. I now wish I had done it from new so I could track the engine's wear. Oh well.

Also, Harbour Freight sells that same pump, but with a dispense feature so you can pump the oil back out again. I have it and works pretty darn nice. :thumbup:

Elusive3
07-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Yup, that way you'd have a really good history of the engine's use from new.

I just had mine done for the 1st time (with 65,000 miles on the odo) and no abnormal signs of wear. I now wish I had done it from new so I could track the engine's wear. Oh well.

Also, Harbour Freight sells that same pump, but with a dispense feature so you can pump the oil back out again. I have it and works pretty darn nice. :thumbup:

my parents recently just got an X5.. dealer said "no break in period.. first oil change at 10,000 miles or whenever the service light comes on" is this true?? thanks.

Masskrug
07-30-2003, 09:06 AM
my parents recently just got an X5.. dealer said "no break in period.. first oil change at 10,000 miles or whenever the service light comes on" is this true?? thanks.

There is a TON of opinions about oil changes here. Use search. If you still can't make up your mind after reading everything, well, there are no right answers anyway.

IFlyX5
08-26-2003, 10:21 AM

Break-in period is first 1,000 miles (as indicated in the User's Manual). Oil change is at 15,000 or one-year, whichever comes first. I usually change mine at 7,500 mi. or so.

SupraRZ
08-26-2003, 01:40 PM
I was gooing to change the oil, but I checked my oil at 1100 miles and the motor oil looks like someone changed it yesterday... I was expecting BLACK oil at 1100 miles from the engine shedding crap during break in....

F1Crazy
08-27-2003, 04:41 PM
There is a TON of opinions about oil changes here. Use search. If you still can't make up your mind after reading everything, well, there are no right answers anyway.
There is no way to determine when to change your oil other than doing used oil analysis, opinions are just that - opinions. Blackstone is great lab because of big database where you can compare your results with other owners.
I wish you didn't get the sample, maybe we could start a little database on this forum, I promise i would contribute my results ;) .

xspeedy
11-23-2003, 07:12 AM

Check this place out. You can always call them to get some free samples. The products are great, and much less messy than cat litter.

http://www.newpig.com/

LmtdSlip
11-24-2003, 10:23 AM
oil extractor?

Just did mine with the extractor for the first time on Saturday.

Worked like a champ. :thumbup:
Although it was slower than I expected. No worries though because I let it work while I detailed the car. By the time it was ready I changed out the filter and added the new oil. Very handy.

The bad part is that the capacity is EXACTLY the capacity of the car, so it was full to the very top. The unit dosent come with any sort of plug or cap to keep the oil in for your trip to the recycler. This was a huge PITA as I had to improvise and use the tube as the cap with plenty of rags and a plastic bag to catch the excess from the tube while my wife drove me to the recycler. For my next change I am going to rig up a better cap.

I guess they think you will pour the oil into a different container for transport but I dont want to waste the time when a plug would work just as well.