PDA

View Full Version : Jon S. If VPC repaired transit damage would it be documented

Chipster
12-27-2001, 10:36 AM
Jon,

I have a situation with the paint on my car. The car is a 2001. It appears as though the clear is separating from the base coat. Looks like it may be bird droppings, but I know it's not. My suspicion is also confirmed by another part of the same area (this is only happening on the hood). You can see the same problem under the clear, but when you run your fingers across it you can not feel the problem.

So my question is, if the car were damaged in transit and repainted at the VPC, would it somehow be documented and cross-referenced to the VIN?

When I went to a body shop he said the same thing about the clear separating.

My concern is that if I go back to the dealer I am going to get some service writter that trys to minimize the issue by claiming it's bird etching or some other contaminant.

Thanks!

Chipster

Jon Shafer
12-27-2001, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately, what happens after it has left the VPC is not...

The HACK
12-27-2001, 10:40 AM
If there's ANY damange and repair done at the VPC then it'll show up on your final vehicle inquiry report before you sign the paperwork. However the dealer is under no obligation to let you know...You'll have to look at the right place to find that information. The vehicle inquiry report is the one that has the production code (150, 192...etc) on it.

However, if the damage was done AT the dealership you are **** out of luck. That damage will not show up on the vehicle inquiry reports if the dealer use their own bodyshop to touch up that damage. It will show up on a CarFax though.

p.s.: Darn it Jon, you beat me by a few minutes.

Jon Shafer
12-27-2001, 10:49 AM
:)

Chipster
12-27-2001, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys!

DrBimmer
12-27-2001, 05:04 PM
Any damage that was fixed at the VPC will show up forever on the DCS Warranty Vehicle History Report, which lists all the warranty repairs done on the car. It will have a disclosure below the "Open Campaigns" section where it will list the location(s) of the repair as well as a severity rating.

MAK
12-29-2001, 08:32 AM
Thanks for opening this thread. The information is very helpful. Do you have to ask for the report in order to read it, or is it given to you as a matter of course? I do not recall being given this report upon delivery.
Mike