PDA

View Full Version : Xenons, would it really be worth it?

GUINNESS
07-29-2003, 07:11 AM
Since our X5 didn't come with xenons, I'm wondering if it would be worth purchasing a set either from a BMW dealer (most likely pacific or circle) or maybe an aftermarket place dealing in OE products. Has anyone ever heard of switching to xenons after the fact? How much I would be looking at in terms of cost and if there would be fitment issues?

Thanks all.

AndDown
08-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Since our X5 didn't come with xenons, I'm wondering if it would be worth purchasing a set either from a BMW dealer (most likely pacific or circle) or maybe an aftermarket place dealing in OE products. Has anyone ever heard of switching to xenons after the fact? How much I would be looking at in terms of cost and if there would be fitment issues?

Thanks all.

Go to this site:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e53/forum.php?postid=3680248&page=1

Bobby 325i
08-03-2003, 11:43 AM
The retrofit for Xenons shouldn't be that hard to do. The only thing is that your halogen units don't have a projector built in like the OEM Xenon units do. The lack of a projector will result in a completely different light pattern with the xenons on. This said, the light pattern might be scattered everywhere on the road and might blind oncoming traffic. You will most likely have to aim them down to avoid this trouble.

I would never buy another car without Xenons again! The illumination from the xenon's is phenominal! Each time I drive a car without xenon's, I feel as if the road is not lit up from the stock halogens

SupraRZ
08-05-2003, 02:58 AM

Thanks all.

You can do that... can you let me know what's the headlight bulb size for the X5? I can see if they make it for you.

The bulb and ballast that goes into the BMW's are Philips, made in Germany... When you look for prices, make sure to specify Philips, because there are a lot of cheap korean knock off brands out there.

If the prices are all around $500-525 for the pair, that sounds about right... The wholesale account price for Philips retrofit is $450, so $50-75 is a fair markup for these dealers. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll give you the contact information for the manufacturer.