PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on B-fest 09

BoostedE21
05-03-2009, 05:16 PM
I dont post much here, but I felt I had to post this.

This years bimmefest was simply one of the best ones there was. The venue was AWESOME!!!

A lot of beautiful cars, weather was great, the time and memories.....unforgetable :thumbup:

One grip I did have, was the douchbags the kept reving their motors ALLLLL day long, same people, same cars through out the day. A black 6 ser with black rims with red outline, 2 white E60 M5's, yeah you guys were cool :rolleyes:

Other then that bit, awesome awesome time, Great job Jon and crew, this one will truly be memorable :thumbup:

Thank you guys!

MalibuMafiaV
05-03-2009, 05:22 PM
My thoughts.

1. Needs more then one food stand. Line was way to long and it was impossible to get food.

2. I think some sort of shade tents with chairs/tables provided would of been good.
It was getting hot and I got burned! ow:( lol.

3. Entry fee was WAY to much $40s?? $20 was already to much before. But $40.... that's a bit crazy.
I understand the venue is probably much more expensive to rent etc...
But the sponsors / company booths should be paying for that.

Other then that stuff.
I had a great time! There was so many more cars and so much more to do. I didn't even have enough time to walk around everywhere to look at all the cars.

mottati
05-03-2009, 05:36 PM
My thoughts.

1. Needs more then one food stand. Line was way to long and it was impossible to get food.

there were two food vendors, one on each side of the field. I waited in a line of 3 people at 1130, i guess if you really wanted a hot dog, you had to wait in the long line though!

Jon Shafer
05-03-2009, 05:38 PM
I dont post much here, but I felt I had to post this.

This years bimmefest was simply one of the best ones there was. The venue was AWESOME!!!

A lot of beautiful cars, weather was great, the time and memories.....unforgetable :thumbup:

One grip I did have, was the douchbags the kept reving their motors ALLLLL day long, same people, same cars through out the day. A black 6 ser with black rims with red outline, 2 white E60 M5's, yeah you guys were cool :rolleyes:

Other then that bit, awesome awesome time, Great job Jon and crew, this one will truly be memorable :thumbup:

Thank you guys!

Great to see you again Atilla!

My thoughts.

2. I think some sort of shade tents with chairs/tables provided would of been good.

3. Entry fee was WAY to much $40s?? $20 was already to much before. But $40.... that's a bit crazy.

Other then that stuff.
I had a great time! There was so many more cars and so much more to do. I didn't even have enough time to walk around everywhere to look at all the cars.

Hmmm...

There were 2 food stations, one on each side of the field. Also, the general entry fee ($20) and early entry / concourse fee ($40) were exactly the same
program as last year...

Glad you had a good time though!!

MalibuMafiaV
05-03-2009, 05:39 PM
there were two food vendors, one on each side of the field. I waited in a line of 3 people at 1130, i guess if you really wanted a hot dog, you had to wait in the long line though!

Oh. See I didn't have enough time to walk around the entire area.
So I only knew of one:)
The one I was at the line was constantly like 50 people long lol. It was next to the Nitto and Falken tire trucks.

MalibuMafiaV
05-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Hmmm...

There were 2 food stations, one on each side of the field. Also, the general entry fee ($20) and early entry / concourse fee ($40) were exactly the same
program as last year...

Glad you had a good time though!!

Odd... I payed $20 last two times. And that was at early times...
Maybe I got lucky? lol.

BoostedE21
05-03-2009, 05:42 PM

Jon, it was great to see you again and actually chat with you abit at the Ramada Inn this year. :thumbup:

Will say again, one of the BEST bimmerfests today!

smilez
05-03-2009, 06:12 PM
i love the new place was way bigger. A lot more cars to see. food was ok, wish you guys would bring IN-N-OUT that would be awesome.

but, way better than last year.

farhod
05-03-2009, 07:04 PM
this was my first bimmerfest and i can say it was simply amazing...place was perfect the only thing that i really wish could happen is if each series could park in a designated area...3's in one area, 5's, 7's etc...to do that online registration is mandatory and then maybe hold a few extra spots...the field had plenty of room still to do something like that....but thank you jon for all your hard work...it was a blast!

deuce818
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
i loved the venue, it was perfect. amazing turn out

Bimmer Man
05-03-2009, 07:16 PM
this was my first bimmerfest and i can say it was simply amazing...place was perfect the only thing that i really wish could happen is if each series could park in a designated area...3's in one area, 5's, 7's etc...to do that online registration is mandatory and then maybe hold a few extra spots...the field had plenty of room still to do something like that....but thank you jon for all your hard work...it was a blast!

It would be great to park by series but the logistics of it is simply impossible. If it was that way it would have to be a HUGE venue, much larger than the polo fields (and I thought the polo fields were huge.) It's great in theory but much to difficult in actuality. A lot of people don't even register so there is no way to gauge the amount of cars.

Thanks for putting together a truly awesome event. It's amazing to see the progress the event has made back from the days of Cutter Motors. Who would of thought it would one day be what it is now? I'm impressed every year by the event and the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes.

Thank you!

Cliff
05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
The venue was absolutely perfect, Jon. This was the best Bimmerfest to date :thumbup:

Kudos to you, Tim, Mark, and everyone else who helped put it on :thumbup::thumbup:

Bill-SD
05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I had a great time, and it was the best $20 I spent in a long time! I also waited maybe 45 seconds for an excellent bratwurst. That thing was damn good!

Missmodena310
05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Love the location jon ! the food i didnt really eat, next year you guys should have like catered healthy food :) it was such a great time i have the WORST sunburn ever! lol

markseven
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I was reluctant to rearrange my schedule in order to attend this year, but I am so happy I did :guitar: It was amazing. Loved every minute of it :thumbup:

food was ok, wish you guys would bring IN-N-OUT that would be awesome.

That would be awesome!! I'm gonna start pestering Jon, Mark and Tim about that :bigpimp:

Expo BMW
05-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I really liked the venue this year, I hope we get to do it again. +1 on the In-N-Out idea. Also, does anyone know if there was a ding doctor on site?

Shinobi
05-04-2009, 02:12 AM
OK, before I rant a little bit, I want to say Thanks to Jon and the Bimmerfest Staff for putting on this wonderful event for 10 straight years. Obviously its not easy putting this together and running it, especially considering how big its grown, but overall, you've done a great job.

Now the rant. My biggest gripe was with the parking fee. OK, now you may say "it was the same as last year", however not everyone attended last year. This year, I registered and I went to the Bimmerfest information page. This is what I saw:

http://www.shinobibmw.com/MessageBoardFiles/bimmerfest09.gif

Alright, so I see that it's $20 per car and it hasn't changed from 08. I believe I also paid that in 2007, and I understand that money is needed to run the event. So that's cool, no problem. I go to Event Details to get the new venue info along with directions and I believe I'm set. The last time I went in 2007, I arrived at 9am sharp and the parking lot at Earl Warren was completely full. This year, I figured I'd get there at 8am and avoid traffic while I'm at it. Much to my surprise, the attendant taking the fees told me it was $40. I told him I thought it was $20. He told me, and I quote: "Before 9am, its $40." Thats it. That was a rude surprise and frankly, it pissed me off. I thought about getting a 10th anniversary t-shirt, but not after paying double for parking. I asked some other people and they were just as surprised.

When I got back home, I checked the site and my registration email for info and it took me awhile to find it, but it IS listed under "Attendee FAQ". I've been to 7 Bimmerfests, and never bothered to click that before, feeling it was unnecessary.

Bottom line:

1) I think the Bimmerfest Events info page does not present itself very well in the Forums context. Info to me is difficult to find and too cluttered with sponsor banners.
2) The $40 concourse fee and the event map should be more obvious. IMO, its hidden in the FAQ area when it should be front page.
3) The attendants should be able to explain that pricing structure. Even though I arrived early, I still had to wait in line and by the time I got up there, I was told that to park before 9am required $40 without mention of separate concourse/general parking fees. I wasn't thinking about leaving and coming back to a potentially longer line, so I paid it.

On the positive side, I think the new venue is great! Easy accessibility, easy on your feet all day, nice and clean, and most importantly, LOTs of room for everyone. Food didn't seem to be a problem as I was able to snag some lunch within 2 minutes. So that seemed to address the 2 problems from the Earl Warren venue.

Overall, this event was not the best IMO. Its lost alot of the original "Bimmerfest" feel and is getting expensive, but I don't think that could be helped. It had to evolve and meet the needs of the growing number of attendees and the diversity. So, all things considered, again I give mucho kudos to Jon and company and look forward to Bimmerfest 2010.

ericcomm
05-04-2009, 06:49 AM
That was a blast! Lotsa real nice folks and some awsome BMW's. I'm going to have to look for the car count, because it was big. Last but not least... I loved the event graphics. I had to keep a few more than usual.

GBPackerfan1963
05-04-2009, 07:11 AM
I didn't see Lucky579. The $40.00 must of been too much for him. :rofl:

scottn2retro
05-04-2009, 08:26 AM
I liked the 'feel' of the event out there on the large grass field. Made it seem more grass roots again.

surfcitydude
05-04-2009, 08:28 AM
I agree, it was the best Bimmerfest ever. The polo grounds were perfect for showing the cars. It made it cool, comfortable and absorbed alot of ambient noise. HOWEVER, I agree, $40 for getting there early was a rip-off. I was part of the vintage car crowd and we paid the extra fee for concours parking, but we didn't park in the concours area. We had a nice area to park together and we all had a good time. 2 thoughts..... How about charging the $40 for cars wanting to park in thne concours area, $20 for outside that area, no matter what time you arrive. Issue a $20 credit for that vintage guys that paid the extra and apply it to next year, we'll all be back! Thanks again to all the organizers

devonjordan
05-04-2009, 09:58 AM
It would be great to park by series but the logistics of it is simply impossible. If it was that way it would have to be a HUGE venue, much larger than the polo fields (and I thought the polo fields were huge.) It's great in theory but much to difficult in actuality. A lot of people don't even register so there is no way to gauge the amount of cars.

Thanks for putting together a truly awesome event. It's amazing to see the progress the event has made back from the days of Cutter Motors. Who would of thought it would one day be what it is now? I'm impressed every year by the event and the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes.

Thank you!

To fix that, make it so you have to register to get in. My buddy goes to a shoe called Fabulous Fords Forever in Buena Park, and thats exactly what they do. Its a 1400-1500 CAR show. I realize that we are slightly bigger than that, but I also believe that the show would be way more awesome if we could organize the cars. ****, if the ford guys can do it, why cant we? Here is a link to that event... http://www.fordcarclubs.org/ There is also parking across the street if you choose not to register for the event...

We are still a young event, so I have hope that we can introduce some German efficiency to the parking situation...

I was reluctant to rearrange my schedule in order to attend this year, but I am so happy I did :guitar: It was amazing. Loved every minute of it :thumbup:

That would be awesome!! I'm gonna start pestering Jon, Mark and Tim about that :bigpimp:

Mark, don't let me down!

///M3 E93 in LA
05-04-2009, 10:19 AM
The venue was absolutely perfect. A great event!

The only thing that would be better if the car were segregated by variant and more food concessions. The only ones segregated were the "Old Skool" cars, which are always enjoyable and in my mind the highlight of the show. The 507 was "the Car of the event" the twin turbo "3002" a close second behind the 507.

a well done event, I hope it is there next year.

6 Brit
05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
too expensive entry
$6 for a tiny ass beer wtf!!

and lol at the ********* revving his convertible black 6 series with ugly wheels...what a ***!!!
he seriously sat and revved his motor over and over again for a good 20 minutes

we are not impressed dude stop being a tweeker

other than that the venue was great and there were awesome cars which is why I came so it worked for me

sailwind
05-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Event was great, but the raffle drawing needs to be done earlier, like noon time. I hear by the time raffles were being drawn people have already left. Had to resort to calling out random people in the crowd that's left.

Bmwcat
05-04-2009, 02:45 PM
We enjoyed the event, thanks to Jon and Co. I will say that there could be more shade, we ducked into the car with the AC for a while to cool off.
I also paid 40.00 to park as we arrived a bit early, but the money went to charity so Im not complaining too much.
A great time was had by all..

Bmwcat
05-04-2009, 02:47 PM
too expensive entry
$6 for a tiny ass beer wtf!!

and lol at the ********* revving his convertible black 6 series with ugly wheels...what a ***!!!
he seriously sat and revved his motor over and over again for a good 20 minutes

we are not impressed dude stop being a tweeker

other than that the venue was great and there were awesome cars which is why I came so it worked for me You cant afford 20.00 for a special event? Ill bet drinks cost almost that much at your bar!! :p

6 Brit
05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
You cant afford 20.00 for a special event? Ill bet drinks cost almost that much at your bar!! :p

lol my bar is so cheap...and I don't pay for drinks there :thumbup:
and no I cant afford that bro...like I said, not rich saving up for other things (tires and exhaust for my truck)and trying to pay a car off has me pretty much shot. i am not the typical money bags BMW owner, I have to get the six smogged today and it's totally going to fail and I can't even afford registration...but go ahead make fun of me I like it:dunno:

GBPackerfan1963
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
We enjoyed the event, thanks to Jon and Co. I will say that there could be more shade, we ducked into the car with the AC for a while to cool off.
I also paid 40.00 to park as we arrived a bit early, but the money went to charity so Im not complaining too much.
A great time was had by all..

....and you're from Carmichael and you needed to cool off? :rofl: :rofl: C'mon now, the weather there was great! :bigpimp:

GBPackerfan1963
05-04-2009, 03:25 PM
I think they needed to hand out name tags with our usernames on them. It would be easy to do for the members who pre-registered. Then again, it might be a logitical nightmare.

Keith
05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
My 9th year and I must say this was the best one yet! :thumbup:

Jon, Tim, Mark, you guys never cease to amaze me, I can't wait for next year.

You guys know there's always growing pains with something of this magnitude, sure you had the boneheads that kept revving, the crappy stereos blaring, no shade (I would suggest a tent like the one used for selling t-shirts next year, actually larger) I know these and other issues will be resolved, assuming they'll have us back.

BUT the one thing that irritated me was the NON BMW's.

Hopefully the Polo Ground's will let us use the other field to the left when you drive in for the future, for the NON BMW'S, like the Avalon, the Toyota truck, the countless NON BMW's abound was not cool, this IS a BMW event, hence the name Bimmerfest.
Vendor's should ONLY bring BMW's, NOTHING else, for the most part they did THIS year, hopefully it will ONLY be BMW's in the future.

Sooooooo, let the planning begin for Bimmerfest '10!!!! :banana:....:roundel:...:thumbup:

sailwind
05-04-2009, 03:50 PM
It shouldn't be hard to setup ez-ups for shade next time. Just turn it 45 degrees and put two behind the cars with other two legs between the cars. It won't take up any room and people tend to congregate behind their BMWs anyways.

Keith
05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
It shouldn't be hard to setup ez-ups for shade next time. Just turn it 45 degrees and put two behind the cars with other two legs between the cars. It won't take up any room and people tend to congregate behind their BMWs anyways.

Yes, I know, I was bringing 4, but then read NO ez-ups/pop ups allowed, so I followed the rules and didn't.

Bill-SD
05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
My 9th year and I must say this was the best one yet! :thumbup:

Jon, Tim, Mark, you guys never cease to amaze me, I can't wait for next year.

You guys know there's always growing pains with something of this magnitude, sure you had the boneheads that kept revving, the crappy stereos blaring, no shade (I would suggest a tent like the one used for selling t-shirts next year, actually larger) I know these and other issues will be resolved, assuming they'll have us back.

Hopefully the Polo Ground's will let us use the other field to the left when you drive in for the future, for the NON BMW'S, like the Avalon, the Toyota truck, the countless NON BMW's abound was not cool, this IS a BMW event, hence the name Bimmerfest.
Vendor's should ONLY bring BMW's, NOTHING else, for the most part they did THIS year, hopefully it will ONLY be BMW's in the future.

Sooooooo, let the planning begin for Bimmerfest '10!!!! :banana:....:roundel:...:thumbup:

I'm with you Keith. I was surprised to see the non-BMW's. A tent would have been nice too, but I really didn't get too hot...but somehow got sunburned :dunno: I'm ready to start planning for next year too. If next year turns out exactly like this year, I wouldn't be disappointed in the least :)

Cliff
05-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Well, I can think of at least one car that deserved an exception to that rule.

http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/d/22914-2/_DSC3360.jpg (http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/d/22913-1/_DSC3360.jpg)

But it would have been better to segregate those cars, with probably a further segregation based on whether the non-BMW would be of interest to your average BMW enthusiast.

Keith
05-04-2009, 04:37 PM

http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/d/22914-2/_DSC3360.jpg (http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/d/22913-1/_DSC3360.jpg)

WHY, it's not a BMW, it's a sweet car, but my point was this is BMW event, that's all.

But it would have been better to segregate those cars, with probably a further segregation based on whether the non-BMW would be of interest to your average BMW enthusiast.

True..!

MalibuMafiaV
05-04-2009, 04:40 PM

Audi R8 is a pos.
F Audi.
BMWs only. BIMMEFEST. Not Audi fest.

Bmwcat
05-04-2009, 05:07 PM
....and you're from Carmichael and you needed to cool off? :rofl: :rofl: C'mon now, the weather there was great! :bigpimp: Yeap it was getting a lil warm for my GF. And its only 65 in Sacramento today. ;)

Bmwcat
05-04-2009, 05:09 PM
lol my bar is so cheap...and I don't pay for drinks there :thumbup:
and no I cant afford that bro...like I said, not rich saving up for other things (tires and exhaust for my truck)and trying to pay a car off has me pretty much shot. i am not the typical money bags BMW owner, I have to get the six smogged today and it's totally going to fail and I can't even afford registration...but go ahead make fun of me I like it:dunno:
Not a money bags here either, most Bimfesters arent. Not making fun 6Brit..20.00 barely buys dinner these days. :p

02cj
05-04-2009, 06:40 PM
BIG THANK YOU TO JON AND CREW!

It is a great venue. With that said, I think next year we really need some structure. I really did'nt mind paying the extra to enter early. Paul Cain did a good job trying to organize the vintage cars.

As much room as there was, we could've separated the different chassis's, parked the cars at an angle to make them more viewer friendly and also easier to take nicer photos.

I think there needs to be a area for "heritage" cars like the 507, Isettas, and more recent cars like the e9 coupes or M1's. I'm not trying to make it a concourse event, but I think it would be a great addition. It will also give new owners of the marque a whole new perspective and appreciation.

Again, I can't emphasize more how much fun I had and how great the venue is. It's a huge improvement.

Thanks again- Cris

qwyjibo
05-04-2009, 07:39 PM
my thoughts as first timer to bimmerfest...

1 - ATM! ATM! ATM! i seriously couldn't believe there wasn't an ATM anywhere to be found. i suppose it's my own fault for not getting enough money out of the bank but even still. i would think someone could make a killing on ATM fees if they wanted - even if they charge 10 bucks per transaction there will still be people to use it. i know i would have spent a lot more money had i been able to get some out of the bank.

2 - barring an ATM - vendors need to accept credit cards. i had four beers and two waters GIVEN to me at one of the drink booths because they couldn't get the credit card machine to work. they finally gave up and told me to take the stuff and they'd just "consider me part of the parking crew" :rofl:

3 - this was my first time there so i didn't know what to expect or when i should arrive. i knew the show ran from 9-4 but i got there early (i.e. < 9am) and there was already a line way out on the road. once i finally made it up to pay i was told it was 40 bucks. (:thumbdwn:) ok, i thought that was only for the concourse parking? no, i was told, it's 40 before 9am and 20 after. so i asked how i can pay 20 and was told by two different people that i can get out of line and go to the back of the pack and by then it should be after 9. :confused: uh, yea, i'll jump right on that. needless to say i just paid the 40 bucks and went in.

4 - i wanted to leave at one point so i could find an ATM and get some money. i was coming back of course so i asked one of the guys that was working that show if it's ok for us to leave and come back. he said no and then told me they have no way to monitor if anyone leaves and then gives their ticket to someone else to come in. fair enough, but on my side of the fence you have to expect people are going to want to leave and come back. and after paying 40 bucks to get in to be told point blank no... i don't know, kinda rubbed me wrong.

the wife and i did have a good time and the site was excellent. if we come again next year i guess i'll make sure to get some more $$$ out of the bank and not come so early. :)

AndrewZ
05-04-2009, 07:47 PM
My biggest complaint:

No ATM's :mad:

But that was mostly my fault. Kinda hard to get an ATM on a grassy field. :(

phish24
05-04-2009, 08:07 PM
amazing. My first one and it was great :D

reppin the e30

antgli
05-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks to Jon and staff for a great event. The Polo club was superb and the event was fun. A few thing were disturbing as several have already mentioned...people showing off and revving their motors, playing their audio system disturbingly loud (didn't know it was a sound off:dunno::tsk:! Being a proud dog owner, I had to leave my dogs behind due to the rules listed. Amazed and upset, I saw a few people with their dogs and no one said anything. If I knew the "no dogs allowed" rule would be taken lightly I would have brought my dogs with me:mad:! Anyway, I know better next time. Either enforce the rules or don't have any rules at all. It's just fair. Other than that it was a great event. Thanks again Jon and those involved :thumbup:!

AndrewZ
05-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks to Jon and staff for a great event. The Polo club was superb and the event was fun. A few thing were disturbing as several have already mentioned...people showing off and revving their motors, playing their audio system disturbingly loud (didn't know it was a sound off:dunno::tsk:! Being a proud dog owner, I had to leave my dogs behind due to the rules listed. Amazed and upset, I saw a few people with their dogs and no one said anything. If I knew the "no dogs allowed" rule would be taken lightly I would have brought my dogs with me:mad:! Anyway, I know better next time. Either enforce the rules or don't have any rules at all. It's just fair. Other than that it was a great event. Thanks again Jon and those involved :thumbup:!

Yea, what was up with that?? I saw tons of people with dogs.:dunno:

phiberglass
05-04-2009, 09:43 PM
I hate dogs are car shows.

antgli
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I hate dogs are car shows.

What???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

wag-zhp
05-04-2009, 11:16 PM
OUTSTANDING event and the location was fabulous. The beautiful green grounds and mountains in the backround made for fantastic photos. Driving on the grass was so strange, I was worried that my car had suddenly developed independent 4 wheel steering, but it sure was nice to walk around on all day!

Things that could be improved?

1. I hope the boneheads that were reving their engines didn't jepordize the venue for future events. They should have be warned and then escorted out upon a 2nd offense.

2. Sure parking by series would be nice, but what a logistical nightmare that would be... And to be honest, I like to see a little variety when I go to a show, so mixing thing up isn't a big deal to me. Angled parking would have improved the photo and viewing angles.

3. More shade would have been nice. (I got burnt too.) The weather was so mild I didn't even think to put on sunscreen until it was too late. I like the idea that someone mentioned of putting up a couple of big cabanas of something.

4. Even thought the line was a little long at the back food stand, it moved pretty quick. A little more variety would have been nice. My son really just wanted a hamburger. Having a In-N-Out stand and Jamba-juice or Robecks stand would have be terrific.

5. I think we should take it upon ourselves to print or write our own name tags. I'm sure I must have talked to a bunch of people that are members here, but I was only able to identify a few members at the event.

However, even if none of these things were addressed, I would have a great time and would not be deterred from coming again.

I have never before seen so many beautiful cars and cool people gathered in one place. Awesome event Dudes! :thumbup:

wag-zhp
05-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I liked the 'feel' of the event out there on the large grass field. Made it seem more grass roots again.
It was great to meet and chat with you. I thought it was so awesome that you were letting people sit in your race car and get their pictures taken. Very cool and classy. :thumbup:

flossyfloss
05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Overall I did not like Bimmerfest this year.
Loved the venue, great organization getting into the venue, nobody really was acting a fool doing burnouts, serving beer, that was about all I liked.
Here are the things I really did not like:
$40/$20 fee to get in - not so bad if it was just $20
Not enough BMW vendors - for the amount of people attending there should have been waaay more vendors there (this probably would have helped pay for the venue as well)
Not enough food vendors for the amount of people

The rest of what I did not like much was just personal preference. I would have liked to see maybe some more BMW stuff? What I mean is actually having someone from BMW give new model information and direction. The new Z4 was cool but it was just there and nobody spoke about it (maybe they did but nobody was making it a point that this was/or did happen). Maybe some BMW presentations on past, present and future cars. Maybe not even a person from BMW but someone that knows the history and can speak to a certain model give a presentation.
My biggest complaint was that there was nothing to do but walk around and look. That was cool for about 1-2 hours tops. After that I felt like I had seen everything, was hungry and not looking forward to standing in line for a crappy hot dog or hamburger.
Maybe some German food would have been cool. Bratwurst, Schnitzel, etc.

I have been going off-and-on to Bimmerfest for the past 10 years and it seems to have deteriorated over the years and lost it's heritage in place of boy-racer type feel. I understand that we should not ignore those people that are "tuner crowd" since they spend money on aftermarket products but let's get some culture back.
Also, if you are going to cater to that crowd get some real tuners to come and get more of them! You can put them away from each other if that is what they want but we need more of these tuners coming.

Maybe some demonstrations of how to perform common upgrades on more popular models.

I really liked Bimmerfest when it first started it was really cool and had alot to offer but it now seems to be more flash and no substance.

The trick (as with modifying your own BMW) is to have some flash with alot of substance! Not the other way around.

Does anyone else feel the same?

04SSHD
05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
only one thing that would have been nice was keeping the music going. It seems like it only came on a few time through out the day at random. If we had the music going all day that might have prevented a few people from sitting there blasting their systems.

///M3 E93 in LA
05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
.....After that I felt like I had seen everything, was hungry and not looking forward to standing in line for a crappy hot dog or hamburger.

.....Maybe some demonstrations of how to perform common upgrades on more popular models.

I really liked Bimmerfest when it first started it was really cool and had alot to offer but it now seems to be more flash and no substance. Does anyone else feel the same?

Well, overall I enjoyed it, the polo field really added class to the event, kinda concours d elegance feel.

I like your point about the food,... German food and good beer would give it that additional German intangible to the event.

What about a second event during the year, maybe at the Phoenix Club or Alpine village, but during Octoberfest... A BMW Octoberfest event. Such an event would maybe draw the traditionalists who love the German engineering and the marque.

Whaddya think..... anyone...anyone...Bueller?

flossyfloss
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Well, overall I enjoyed it, the polo field really added class to the event, kinda concours d elegance feel.

I like your point about the food,... German food and good beer would give it that additional German intangible to the event.

What about a second event during the year, maybe at the Phoenix Club or Alpine village, but during Octoberfest... A BMW Octoberfest event. Such an event would maybe draw the traditionalists who love the German engineering and the marque.

Whaddya think..... anyone...anyone...Bueller?

I love that idea!!! I'm down, but what about driving home after being wasted from Octoberfest beer??? :D
Maybe make a deal with a local hotel(s) to get a good group rate?

BTW, I'm not just trying to crap all over all of the event planners hard work. I just want them to try and appeal to more than one type of crowd.

AndrewZ
05-05-2009, 10:59 AM
German food was served on the other side of the field...

///M3 E93 in LA
05-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I love that idea!!! I'm down, but what about driving home after being wasted from Octoberfest beer??? :D
Maybe make a deal with a local hotel(s) to get a good group rate?

BTW, I'm not just trying to crap all over all of the event planners hard work. I just want them to try and appeal to more than one type of crowd.

Yeah, I suppose performance cars and excessive beer drinking might not be a good idea.

Calif65GM
05-05-2009, 11:19 AM

Actually they did have brats over at the grandstand side, but it had the worst position tucked away in the corner.

I would have never seen it, if I didn't see people walking away with brats. I think the problem was that everyone thought they were selling sandwiches and fries there only and there was a line for the sandwiches and fries. While in the corner with the brats and potato salad, there was no waiting at all. This was about 11:30.

The single sandwich line made it confusing for people.

Also the lady at the dessert/cookie counter looked totally bored as I only saw 1-person buy from her table.

6 Brit
05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I was also pretty sad to see other dog's there when I was told we couldnt have them. My dog loves car shows!!!

Jon Shafer
05-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I was also pretty sad to see other dog's there when I was told we couldnt have them. My dog loves car shows!!!

The Polo Club told us no dogs allowed, and asked us to inform our attendees.

I guess that the inevitable dog urine ruins the polo turf.

At that point, what was I supposed to do, throw people out?

:angel:

RabidChimp
05-05-2009, 11:57 AM
First timer to bimmerfest, it was a great drive from Oregon and a great event. I am already looking forward to next year.

6 Brit
05-05-2009, 12:04 PM

Not your fault!! It's just unfortunate that people cannot follow directions

Cliff
05-05-2009, 12:13 PM

As Shinobi observed in his post, some important information was buried on the FAQ page. Keith was all set to load up Greg's touring with 4 EZ-ups until I pointed him at that page. Those rules need to be displayed a lot more prominently than they were.

Jon Shafer
05-05-2009, 12:16 PM
As Shinobi observed in his post, some important information was buried on the FAQ page. Keith was all set to load up Greg's touring with 4 EZ-ups until I pointed him at that page. Those rules need to be displayed a lot more prominently than they were.

Hmmm..... Sounds like a site overhaul is overdue.

Plans are already in the works...

Jon Shafer
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Every year we ask everyone to pre-register so that we can enroll them in our attendee communication system.
The problem is that only about half actually do so, and the other half misses important announcements like
"no dogs" or "no e-z ups", stuff like that...

AndrewZ
05-05-2009, 12:48 PM
And to those that complain about the entrance fee and food prices:

Be wise about it. If $20 is too much, ride along with someone. If there is 4 people in your car, that's $5 per person that pays.

Don't wanna pay, then park your car outside and walk in. This is a Parking Fee, not an entrance fee.

Food: Bring a cooler with drinks and snacks and maybe some cold cuts and bread. You are not forced to buy the food there.

Prices are not going to change. So either do something about, or deal with it. Just going to Los Angeles Convention Center for the Auto show cost $10-20 just for the parking, and another $10 to get in. Food and Drink prices are beyond ridiculous.

Remember that these events are not cheap to run. Security, Police could run in the thousands. That doesn't include renting out the field, paying for any damages caused by idiotic people, etc.. $20 is a small price to pay for what you get.

End of my input. :)

Calif65GM
05-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Not your fault!! It's just unfortunate that people cannot follow directions

The people with the dogs are not probably not bimmerfest members. Probably some ride-alongs.

farhod
05-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Jon what are your thoughts on organizing the next events by series? do you think its possible or too hard? We know bimmerfest's majority is e46 and e36's so reserving most of the space for them then the rest seperated..

BoostedE21
05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
As I said before, this year was one of the best ever.

I did want to go over a few things:

1) In regards to ez-ups, I to didnt know this and we brough one, if we are not allowed to bring them, where can we find shade? I know its to protect the grass, but maybe ones that dont need to be "stacked" but wieghted down might be better (if there is such a thing)

2) Revving engines and loud music. The legion yet again had the pleasure of being next to total tools revving their motors ALLLLL day. Last year (08) there was an red E30 with an M50 motor swap that was revving it all the time, he was trying to sell it too. This year we had a group of retards revving throught the day for minutes on end (to be honest, I was hoping one would have thrown a rod or something so I could die laughing at them). The black 6er and 2 M5's as I stated before. Then in the same group an E30 playing music loud and the owner wasnt even near the car, I had to find him and tell him to turn it off. What can we do to stop this? Even though it was announced over the speaker and was written, people didnt care. I say if they are reported, they get a warning and next time they be kicked off the grounds (this is why we have patrol on the grounds right?)

Jon, I will say again, one of the best b-fests to date, simply awesome and I couldnt have asked for more, and I know the legion feels the same way....just amazing :thumbup:

swtguysb
05-05-2009, 06:37 PM
The venue was awesome :thumbup:
Those pigs are morons ... They got nothing else to do in Ventura County ... it was like a buffet for them ... I guess everybody hit their quota for the whole year(thanks to all bimmer owners) ... I hate pigs ... :mad:

Bill-SD
05-05-2009, 07:09 PM
The venue was awesome :thumbup:
Those pigs are morons ... They got nothing else to do in Ventura County ... it was like a buffet for them ... I guess everybody hit their quota for the whole year(thanks to all bimmer owners) ... I hate pigs ... :mad:

It sucks getting a ticket, no doubt about it. But those guys risk their lives everyday when they go to work (to protect people like you and me). Calling them pigs and morons says a lot about you. Having them out there kind of keeping us all somewhat under control probably saved a few accidents...and maybe more.

GBPackerfan1963
05-05-2009, 08:13 PM
It sucks getting a ticket, no doubt about it. But those guys risk their lives everyday when they go to work (to protect people like you and me). Calling them pigs and morons says a lot about you. Having them out there kind of keeping us all somewhat under control probably saved a few accidents...and maybe more.

+1. Show them some respect.

qwyjibo
05-05-2009, 09:20 PM
And to those that complain about the entrance fee and food prices:

Be wise about it. If $20 is too much, ride along with someone. If there is 4 people in your car, that's $5 per person that pays.

Don't wanna pay, then park your car outside and walk in. This is a Parking Fee, not an entrance fee.

Food: Bring a cooler with drinks and snacks and maybe some cold cuts and bread. You are not forced to buy the food there.

Prices are not going to change. So either do something about, or deal with it. Just going to Los Angeles Convention Center for the Auto show cost $10-20 just for the parking, and another $10 to get in. Food and Drink prices are beyond ridiculous.

Remember that these events are not cheap to run. Security, Police could run in the thousands. That doesn't include renting out the field, paying for any damages caused by idiotic people, etc.. $20 is a small price to pay for what you get.

End of my input. :)

the problem i had with the entrance fee is that i was told, either pay it or get lost until after 9am. this was after sitting in line for 20 minutes to get to the front. had i known it was 40 bucks period(i've never been to bimmerfest before) i would've waited until later to come. i came so early because i didn't want to miss anything and didn't know what to expect.

i had no problem with the prices of stuff once at the show. people will charge what they can get. it's basic economics. i would have spent a lot more money than i did had vendors either taken credit cards or there was an ATM somewhere around there. as it was, i spent money at one vendor, la zaino, and that was because they took credit cards.

my 0.02...

Missmodena310
05-05-2009, 09:48 PM

yea me too :( i was gonna bring my princess but heard you couldnt bring dogs

g2artist
05-06-2009, 08:34 AM
I thought it was quite boring after about 1 or 2 hours myself as all you could do was walk around and look at the cars. Nothing else to do. Would have been nice to have other "events" inside the event to break up the monotony. There was hardly any vendor product there to look at, really not that much info to learn like you said. Felt more like a huge car meet in a parking lot where everyone just hangs out and looks at each others cars.

Loved the venue, great organization getting into the venue, nobody really was acting a fool doing burnouts, serving beer, that was about all I liked.
Here are the things I really did not like:
$40/$20 fee to get in - not so bad if it was just $20
Not enough BMW vendors - for the amount of people attending there should have been waaay more vendors there (this probably would have helped pay for the venue as well)
Not enough food vendors for the amount of people

The rest of what I did not like much was just personal preference. I would have liked to see maybe some more BMW stuff? What I mean is actually having someone from BMW give new model information and direction. The new Z4 was cool but it was just there and nobody spoke about it (maybe they did but nobody was making it a point that this was/or did happen). Maybe some BMW presentations on past, present and future cars. Maybe not even a person from BMW but someone that knows the history and can speak to a certain model give a presentation.
My biggest complaint was that there was nothing to do but walk around and look. That was cool for about 1-2 hours tops. After that I felt like I had seen everything, was hungry and not looking forward to standing in line for a crappy hot dog or hamburger.

I have been going off-and-on to Bimmerfest for the past 10 years and it seems to have deteriorated over the years and lost it's heritage in place of boy-racer type feel. I understand that we should not ignore those people that are "tuner crowd" since they spend money on aftermarket products but let's get some culture back.
Also, if you are going to cater to that crowd get some real tuners to come and get more of them! You can put them away from each other if that is what they want but we need more of these tuners coming.

Maybe some demonstrations of how to perform common upgrades on more popular models.

I really liked Bimmerfest when it first started it was really cool and had alot to offer but it now seems to be more flash and no substance.

The trick (as with modifying your own BMW) is to have some flash with alot of substance! Not the other way around.

Does anyone else feel the same?

:thumbdwn:

MalibuMafiaV
05-06-2009, 09:42 AM
I thought it was quite boring after about 1 or 2 hours myself as all you could do was walk around and look at the cars. Nothing else to do. Would have been nice to have other "events" inside the event to break up the monotony. There was hardly any vendor product there to look at, really not that much info to learn like you said. Felt more like a huge car meet in a parking lot where everyone just hangs out and looks at each others cars.

:thumbdwn:

That's what bimmefest started out to be.
And I like that feel. I'm pretty sure that's what bimmerfest is suppose to be anyhow:)
One giant BMW meet. Not a car show with tons of events going on.
I don't want it to turn into a hot import nights show of retardedness.

GBPackerfan1963
05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
And I like that feel. I'm pretty sure that's what bimmerfest is suppose to be anyhow:)

Amen, Brotha'

KAR
05-06-2009, 01:29 PM
This was only my second bimmerfest, so based on my experience this year's event was great! The weather was perfect and the people were chilled out. I think it far exceeded 2008 in some important ways:

1. Excellent, picturesque, virtually dust-free location
2. Abundant parking for everyone
3. Great selection of vendors and specialty booths
4. BMW NA was present (I think that's big)
5. The most incredible selection of BMWs in one place I've ever seen (including a perfectly resto'd 507)
6. Nice t-shirt
7. FOOD & BEER!

I think there were a couple of generous raffle prizes. What would you guys think of actually paying a nominal price for the tickets next year? There wasn't much incentive for anyone to hang around til the end, and as a result the raffle was a bit anticlimactic. All in all, the organizers deserve thanks high praise for a job well done! I got bimmerfest on my calender as an annual tradition.

thxalot
05-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I agree with the general theme of most people.

-Great event - best location ever!
-The german food+beer was awesome (brat+warsteiner)
-We really need to get the parking organized (sort by series, e-code, year, motor, etc. - the more the better)
-Have the awards and raffle done much earlier (noon!)
-Enforce the rules (no revving, no dogs, whatever. if you don't enforce trouble will escalate every year)
-Have more events (where was Steve Dinan's lecture this year? How-to's would also be great)

Either way, I'll be back next year!

MalibuMafiaV
05-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I agree with the general theme of most people.

-Great event - best location ever!
-The german food+beer was awesome (brat+warsteiner)
-We really need to get the parking organized (sort by series, e-code, year, motor, etc. - the more the better)
-Have the awards and raffle done much earlier (noon!)
-Enforce the rules (no revving, no dogs, whatever. if you don't enforce trouble will escalate every year)
-Have more events (where was Steve Dinan's lecture this year? How-to's would also be great)

Either way, I'll be back next year!

Well normally I'd agree with this.
But this time I don't quite.
Being that I have friends who drive the new E9x or a E39 and I drive a E46.
We like to park next to eachother to hangout and have our cars next to eachother.

Other then that. Everything else sounds good.
Although I wasn't even aware of another food area or drinks on the other side.
So maybe I'd like that to be more clear of where everything is.
Like the little event paper they gave us at the entrance would be nice if there was a venue map on it. So that we knew where everything was.

flossyfloss
05-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Nobody wants that! :D

I just wanted more "BMW-ness" out of Bimmerfest. To me if felt more like a import car meet than a Bimmerfest.
We dont want a bunch of flashy concerts or events but it would be nice to have some more BMW related workshops and speakers. Definitely something to keep the crowd there most of the day.
It seems like from other posts on this subject that some of my complaints were not warranted since there was German food but then that prompts me to bring up another complaint: Need to better inform the entrants (that are paying $40-$20 per car) where everything is on the field!

Overall, it was ok. Just not great in my book. :dunno:

smilez
05-08-2009, 12:27 PM
yea me too :( i was gonna bring my princess but heard you couldnt bring dogs

yeah i was going to bring my two pits since they LOVE riding a long with me. :bawling:

00-bmw-328i
05-09-2009, 02:30 AM
well this was my first bimerfest and i will have to say its not my last.....i had a blast being out there it was fun...the drive from ontario to LA was dope ty smilez for organizing that and the drive from LA to SB was insane and the show was dope seeing everyone's car and putting faces to cars .........i am for sure gonna be back next year with a better looking e46 lol

Ashleigh
05-13-2009, 10:00 AM
This was my 1st Bimmerfest. I had a great time & loved all the Beautifuls(my name for BMW's). I agree $6 for a beer IS too much. They said we were not allowed to bring our own drinks in, but some buddies of mine brought their own and no one bothered them at all. It was absolutely an awesome event and being on the grass was nice.

The only "bad" part of it was right when we drove in and were parking a man wearing a jacket that said BIMMERFEST on it was directing cars and he told me to follow three M3's, drive past the camara crew and park in the front. He said they liked my car, a 1 series, and wanted to use it in a short film. So I began following the M3's and a guy in a golfcart came driving up, fast and screaming at me to turn around, yelling I was going the wrong way, stay where I was supposed to be...I told him I had been directed over there. He screamed back, "He doesn't work here. Don't listen to him!" He was a complete asshole and it kind of bummed me out.:(:dunno:

Other than that it was a blast!

Ashleigh
05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
My thoughts.

Other then that stuff.

#2 is a good idea I got burnt too. So did everyone else I know that attended, even with sunscreen on.

00-bmw-328i
05-14-2009, 03:50 AM
#2 is a good idea I got burnt too. So did everyone else I know that attended, even with sunscreen on.

lol it was raining when we were driving up there so i figured i didnt need sunscreen and left it in my car and got burned like no other lol

ths916m3
05-14-2009, 01:10 PM
My first Bimmerfest and I would like to share my two cents.

Read lots of complaints about parking costs. Just make registration a requirement up to the last week before the show, for those that do register pay $20, $40 for those that did not register. You could give the option to prepay online if they KNOW they will be there.

Centralize the food....one area for all the food with a large marked canopy.

Move the Sponsors and Vendors to the outside perimeter to give more space for "show" vehicles and booths

I would have liked to see more separation of models, but understand its not the easiest when you have a line of 100 cars waiting to get in.
Even separating by 3, 5, 7 and other might be a bit better. I guess the car owners can help out with this and schedule mini caravans to the show, that way more if the same models arrive at the same time and park together.....like the 320s
A lot of cars got lost in the mix because of poor placement.....some of the guys directing parking traffic placed cars badly. Some were placed front to front or crooked.
More volunteers could help with this and even help with separating models, a volunteer meeting the day before would keep everyone on same page. The volunteers cars could each be placed where the beginning of a line would be. Of course the volunteers would have to arrive early and would not have to pay for entrance.

the show was great and looking forward to going next year.

BoostedE21
05-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Some good feedback here, and I like how everyone liked this year after what it was like last year.