PDA

View Full Version : Trivia: Did you know that your BMW has bombs in it?

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 11:41 AM
Yes, it has pyrotechnics in it! But do you know where and why? BTW, I'm not talking about airbags here... Post your thoughts.

TD
12-27-2001, 11:49 AM
Other than the convertibles' roll-over protection system?

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 11:50 AM
I don't have a convertible so I didn't think about that... so yes, other than the conv. roll-over protection.

LeucX3
12-27-2001, 11:53 AM
I think i noticed the same thing. In the toolbox in the trunk there's a space for what i thought was an extra tool. My salesman told me it was for a flare, but they're all removed before coming to the States. Is that what you're talking about?

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by 325iN2it
I think i noticed the same thing. In the toolbox in the trunk there's a space for what i thought was an extra tool. My salesman told me it was for a flare, but they're all removed before coming to the States. Is that what you're talking about?

It's not a flare, please try again :) Good thought tho...

Alex Baumann
12-27-2001, 11:57 AM
Bombs ? The only bomb that I know was the blond hottie I dated last week :)

JPinTO
12-27-2001, 12:03 PM
Is it some type of isolation mechanism to seal off the fuel system during an accident?

Alex Baumann
12-27-2001, 12:04 PM
I think he's talking bout the battery. The battery is disconnected in case of an accident. Safety Battery Clamp (SBC)

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
I think he's talking bout the battery. The battery is disconnected in case of an accident. Safety Battery Clamp (SBC)

WOW, sure enough there is a pyrotechnic charge in the (BST) (Bentley 121-2) or Battery Safety Terminal located on the battery. That wasn't what I was thinking but good call Alex!

Alex Baumann
12-27-2001, 12:18 PM
Belt tensioners ?

Jason 325i Step
12-27-2001, 12:21 PM
Yea it called my gas tank....when I set a match to it it goes "kaboooom!"

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 12:26 PM
Alex WON!! Yes it is the belt tensioners but I have learned there are many others in there too!

LOL Jason but NO!

Alex Baumann
12-27-2001, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by LilEccentricJ
but I have learned there are many others in there too!

Please don't tell us the others :D didn't know that I've been driving a bomb everyday !

Mr. E
12-27-2001, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Jason 325i Step
Yea it called my gas tank....when I set a match to it it goes "kaboooom!" Actually Jason, you're more right than you know. Compared to the little firecrackers in the airbags, battery, and seatbelt tensioners, the gas tank is a nuclear bomb. One gallon of gasoline is the explosive equivalent of 83 sticks of dynamite! It's amazing we can use such an explosive and volatile fuel [mostly] safely.

Check out this interesting article (http://news.uns.purdue.edu/UNS/html3month/990604.Kingman.gasoline.html).

HW
12-27-2001, 01:19 PM
more reason not to smoke while pumping gas :p

Now what I don't understand is why the US gas station pumps have the rubber boots on the nozzle but not the Canadian ones.

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by DougDogs
doesn't the battery have explosive charge in case of accident?

Yes it does... scroll up in the post just a little.

over90
12-27-2001, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by HW

Now what I don't understand is why the US gas station pumps have the rubber boots on the nozzle but not the Canadian ones.

The US Booties are for the fumes to escape back into the pump. (i think:confused: ) Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

ps

The only bomb that goes off in my car is the one after I hit up Taco Bell for a bean & cheese burrito

Clem
12-27-2001, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by over90

The US Booties are for the fumes to escape back into the pump. (i think:confused: ) Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

ps

The only bomb that goes off in my car is the one after I hit up Taco Bell for a bean & cheese burrito

Are you talking about that circular rubber disk at the end of the nozzle? If so all is not most Canadian gas stations have them. They are to prevent splashing if the fuel comes back up the filler tube due to over filling etc...

Mr. E
12-27-2001, 02:24 PM
You are correct sir! They are there to help cut down on air pollution. That's also why the pumps have the warning on them not to "top off" your tank when you're filling up. When you spill gas on the ground, it vaporizes and adds that much more to the smog all around us.

TMI Buddy! :eek: :D

Dr. Phil
11-07-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by DougDogs
BUMP

My first post!
:D

And 'Stealth' made his initial blonde post as well :bigpimp:

over90
11-07-2002, 06:33 PM
OMG! I haven't posted here in more than 8 months!

PropellerHead
11-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by HW
more reason not to smoke while pumping gas :p

Dont have the rubber boots, here. I think it's a state rather than federal thing.

ezsce46
11-08-2002, 09:52 AM
I don't drive an E46 M3. :angel:

ChrisTO
11-09-2002, 04:56 PM
you are half correct. escaping gas fumes is not the only reason US gas stations have the 'booty' and Canadian gas stations lack them. it's not that the Canadian gov't cares less about air quality.

US gas contains MMT, also know as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl. it is highly toxic to inhale. from my understanding the Canadian gov't has banned MMT in all gasoline sold in Canada(maybe that restriction has lifted?). now that's not to say that gas fumes are safe at all to breathe...but MMT makes gas fumes that much more toxic for people to inhale. i think it's fantastic to see US gas stations using the booty to recover as much of the gas fumes as possible so it doesn't escape into the air and ultimately into our lungs.