PDA

View Full Version : Instrument panel with leather finish

hayden
06-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Does anyone have pictures of this option on a car vs. without?

I looked at a few on the lot yesterday and couldn't spot the difference between the dash of a car with this option vs without...

What am I missing here? For $1,200 I would expect a very noticeable difference.

uglietta
06-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi, I see that no one has replied with pics yet. I can offer my observations having seen both and buying one with leather dash. The option has nappa leather on the dash and top sections of the doors. It is quite smooth and looks "right". The standard treatment has a rough, grainy vinyl on the dash and door tops. Looks downscale/inconsistent to me.

hayden
06-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks uglietta. I'll have to go take a look again now that I know what to look for.

If anyone else has pics, please post 'em. :)

clambros
06-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I can get you a pic of my dash, but it has leather .. I can't offer you anything to compare it with.

hayden
06-18-2009, 02:14 PM
OK, i went down to the delaer to do some more investigation about this. Honestly, the difference is not that big to me.

Even without this option, the dash and doors are still covered in what looks like leather, its just textured... not smooth like it is with the $1200 option. I think there is some nicer stitching as well.

Is the textured material not leather, but some kind of vinyl? I wish I would have taken some pics with my phone.

Spiroman
06-30-2009, 03:39 PM
People riding in the front passenger seat really do notice the leather and, particularly, the nice stitching. Once you've had the real thing, the leathery looking plastic dash looks very cheap.:thumbdwn:

Best regards.

Spiroman

freshwhite335
07-03-2009, 12:11 AM
hi, i see that no one has replied with pics yet. I can offer my observations having seen both and buying one with leather dash. The option has nappa leather on the dash and top sections of the doors. It is quite smooth and looks "right". The standard treatment has a rough, grainy vinyl on the dash and door tops. Looks downscale/inconsistent to me.

+1

when the car was launched at my dealer they had two test cars and one had the leather dash and one didn't. the non-leather dash looks cheap and out of place to me, especially since the Nappa leather seats are so smooth and lacking in grain. to see all that fake grain on the dash looks werid to me, so i made sure to get the leather dash.

Before my 3 series I had a Range Rover and bought it with 30k on it and it took me a good six months to find a car with the "luxury interior package" which among other things added a sort of "extended leather" package which included a leather stitched dash. honestly i know the 1200 seems frivolous but order it. you wont regret it. if i waited six months for a car to have it you can only imagine how much of a difference i think it makes. no matter what luxury car its in.

BMR2009
07-12-2009, 05:26 PM
It's surprising that BMW does not include this in the price of its flagship model, but like another German manufacturer, Porsche, they charge for it now.

Really, the non leather one looks cheap and rubbery and I wouldn't dream of getting the car without it. And I have seen both, and felt both as I'm not one to pay $1,200 for a piece of leather and stitching, but it is just a have to in my opinion. You'll have to look at that cheesie cheap thing everytime you get in the car.

Amortize that our over 3 or four years and it's probably less that 30 cents everytime you get in the car (assuming a few exits and entrances everyday). I don't drink starcraps so I'll splurge.