PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti FX35 and FX45 and Acura MDX

Compaq
08-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Did anyone consider the Infiniti FX35 or FX45 or Acura MDX before you choose to get your BMW X5? Can you please give me your oppinion on the Infiniti FX35, FX45, Infiniti vehicles and the company. I am considering the 3 series, X5, and Acura MDX and the Infiniti G35 and FX35 and FX45. I have heard that the MDX handles better in the snow than the X5, is this true? (please share your experiences in the snow with your X5) Does the X5 heating and cooling systems work quickly? For those of you who have the navigation system how does it work?, is it correct most of the time?

This is a link to the article that said the mdx handles better in the snow. Link to article (http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/healey/0029.htm)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/healey/0029.htm

Thank You in advance for your responses.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-10-2003, 10:42 PM
The first thing I do when I drive in the snow is kill traction control. :p AWD BMWs neither need nor benefit from it.

What are your priorities, and where do you live?

Compaq
08-10-2003, 10:47 PM
I live in New York. I only need room for 3 people and occasionally 4. I do not need alot of cargo space.

Thank You for your responses

SmackX54.4
08-11-2003, 08:22 AM
I live in New York. I only need room for 3 people and occasionally 4. I do not need alot of cargo space.

I drove them all. I was turning in my 2000 BMW 528i and looking for an SUV - XUV- SAV...

Acura was nice for a BIG family, but the quality of the interior build and finish materials was not up to BMW standards. I also thoought it lacked the power that I like to get around. I'm not a racer, but i like to have the power. It was also as expensive as the BMW 4.4 at the time.

Infiniti, Both the FX 35 & 45.... I thought the car looked real nice but certain interior finishes were way below par :thumbdwn: for a $40+k car. Passenger sseat was like sitting on the floor. The 35 seemed as fast as the 45???? I tested both in the snow in upstate NY during both heavy snow and ice conditions along with normal amount of packed snow. The traction control on the FX was worthless :thumbdwn: .... by the time it kicked in you were already S O L!!! The big tires wewre terrible in all winter conditions. Visibility out the back was real poor.

Plusses :thumbup: were all the tech gadgets, the stereo, the rear camera, smart-key, rear DVD included in the tech package....

BMW X5, felt the best interior wise, had plenty of power, and what a lease deal there was at the time may-june....I was also influenced by the safety of the X5 and at the end of the day it just won my "Seat of the pants" test... Wish BMW used a bigger subwoofer in the premium stereo option, 2 5.35" subs just isn't enough.

Good luck and see Ted at Carbone if you need a Great Dealer. :thumbup:

suzer
08-11-2003, 12:07 PM
I drove the MDX before I purchased my X5. The MDX drives a lot heavier, more like the minivan that it is based on. The X5 drives much like my husbands 330i - that is, much, much, much more like a car. The MDX is bigger inside, and it features a third row seat, although it has little leg room. It's base configuration includes a lot of items you have to pay extra for in an X5 (leather, moonroof, climate control). I thought it was really good looking, but I was disappointed with the handling on dry pavement, so I wasn't confident that snow handling would be that great.

If you go over to www.acuramdx.org you will ready a lot of scary stuff about starters, idling control valves and transmission problems. That, coupled with the minivan-like feel drove me away from the vehicle.

My understanding is that the MDX has a different system designed for snow traction in that under 20 mph you can create an electronic version of low 4 on a traditional 4WD selectable transfer case. I have only had my X5 since April, so I haven't experienced snow so I can't help you there.

The heating/cooling systems of my X5 are amazing. I can cool down the vehicle in less than 2 minutes (I've timed it), and often find I have to turn off the automatic climate control because I'm too cold. Heating was excellent in early April (it's still cold here in Kansas City). I have the rear climate package, and I'm not really sure it's necessary. The heating steering wheel is a doo-dad I didn't really care about, but now that I have it I can't imagine giving it up.

The looks of the Infiniti did not appeal to me, so I never drove it. Generically speaking, if I was going to go Japanese, I'd pick Lexus over Infiniti or Acura, but I owned Toyotas for years so I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

suzer
08-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Just remembered one other thing that turned me off the MDX -

The plastic wood. It looks fake, and it cheapened the look of the interior. The X5 features real wood, and it looks much better.

The HACK
08-11-2003, 01:55 PM

Why do you NEED SUVs then? :dunno:

Emission
08-11-2003, 03:31 PM
A quick test drive in the X5 and we wanted to know where to sign. Drive them all.

The FX's are nice, but I think the X5 is a bit more refined. Like I said, drive 'em.

BTW, I have had my X5 in snow, mud, and dirt. I performed very well for a luxury SAV (never got stuck, even on all-weather tires).