PDA

View Full Version : Service problems with F01, F02.

briansbimmer
06-20-2009, 08:37 AM
For those who have taken delivery of their new 7 I was wondering what kind of problems if any you have experienced? How did you notice it? What was the diagnosis? How was your service advisor? Problem fixed to your satisfaction?

I took delivery of a pretty loaded 750Li on May 14th, 2009. Everything was fine for the first two weeks and I had no problems. Did my best to keep the rpm's below 4000 there were a few times I could not help myself. Then weird stuff started happening. I would get in car, start it up, and the phone would mate by bluetooth and then disconnect and mate and disconnect...in an endless loop. Then the SOS and roadside assistance went inactive and I got a text telling me disabled. Call the roadside assistance people and said I had to take to dealer. Then stopped responding to voice commands.

So...I took it to dealer and got a call from my service advisor that car was still in "transport mode." Thought that was strange as car worked fine for two weeks. They took it out of 'transport mode and I went down to pick it up. Before I left the dealers lot I went to mate my phone...same thing...only worse...this time the bluetooth in car would not even activate. Service advisor got the tech...who swore he got someones iPhone at dealership and used it to mate and make a call. I was pretty pissed and thought that maybe they just took it out of transport mode, thought that would fix it, and did not check. I told my service advisor first thing I was going to do when I came to get the car was mate my phone. The Customer Advisor I bought the car from assured me they were honest guys and would not lie about it so I accepted his explanation.

Had to leave the car again and they re-programmed it and I got a call letting me know that did not fix it. So they ordered a telematics unit and the new one fixed it and I have had no problems since. All my favorite entertainment channels were still there and the 8 programmable buttons still programed. Evidently BMW has found a way to replace a telematics unit and save all your settings. In the past new telematic unit erases all settings.

I did feel that they were not showing as much concern as they should. I believe that a customer experiencing problems in the first few thousand miles would mean the service department would pull out all the stops to get it fixed. I do not care if its a 100K 7 series or a 35K 3 series, should not make a difference. In my case it certainly did not.

My Customer Advisor had some wise advice. The email survey you get after a service appointment...be careful filling it out. They can pull up all your past surveys and if you constantly give bad marks and long detailed complaints word gets around and they pass you around like a hot potato. So don't fill them out when your mad. Plus, their compensation is tied to those surveys. It took a while, but, the problem was fixed, no problems since. So I gave high marks.

clambros
06-20-2009, 03:15 PM
In my (3) weeks of ownership, my new F02 has been at the service department for (7) days (1/3 of its time with me).

- Software problems galore (steering wheel control problems, auto high beam problems, BMW assist inop, and a few others)
- Lane departure system failure
- Front seat is now "digging" into my thighs and marking my body (OK, I'm not the smallest guy .. but HEY, your car shouldn't leave you in pain)
- Front cameras are blurred (BMW refuses to replace the cameras, because there is a new part "in the works"

Dealership seems dependant on BMW for support and parts .. but I agree, they don't seem as concerned as they I think they should be. But they are trying.

briansbimmer
06-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Clambros...don't know what to say really. I love my high beam assist. I had a friend who had it on a Cadillac in the late 80's, it got to the point where I told him if he turned it on I could not ride with him. It was totally useless and people constantly flashing lights at him and he would leave the high beams on behind people. Really stressful for passenger. The high beam assist on my car actually turns the low beams on when it detects cars around corners....even cars waiting to turn on a road. I live out in the country. It turns on low beams way before the point where it would be rude. Did they get it fixed?

The lane depature...I hardly use it. Find it to be a pain in the ***. Not that I can't stay in my lane :). I do use it when I am really tired. I find it to be a great asset when tired.

Have they replaced the telematics unit?

My side view camera's do fog up, but only when it is wet + humid. So does my backup camera. I use the side view camera mainly in parking lots of malls where lot's of landscaping etc., etc. Hardly ever use it on road.

Hope they get is worked out for you. Sucks to spend this much on a car and not be totally happy with it.

sunny_j
06-20-2009, 04:00 PM
wow i cant believe you guys are having so many problems already with the car. the E65/66 had ALOT of problems but i was hoping bmw would of sorted everything out with the F01.

clambros, thats unexpectable that your camera's are blurred and bmw wont fix the problem. i would tell them your going to lemon the car and see what they do. also the seats shouldnt be "digging" into anything regardless of size.:eek:

dm5272
06-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear of those issue

Do you guys think we should include the built when we add issues here as well???
This way we know if later built cars are getting items updated? Or later built items have NEW issues creeping up???
Your thoughts...
(Built date is on the door sill of the car, also your VIN can decode the date as well)

clambros
06-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Mine is a "launch" car .. built 12/08

sunny_j
06-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Mine is a "launch" car .. built 12/08

imo it doesnt matter. if they sold you the car it should preform the way its suppose to. i would not settle for anything less because after all its BMW's flagship car

Boafa
06-22-2009, 04:22 PM
It happens to new models, tech not familiar with the new technology and diagnosis since many new parts different from previous model. Better wait for a couple of years before they are really on hand.

sunny_j
06-22-2009, 06:47 PM
It happens to new models, tech not familiar with the new technology and diagnosis since many new parts different from previous model. Better wait for a couple of years before they are really on hand.

they shouldnt sell the car if the techs are not ready to deal with the issue's. it doesn't matter if its a first year production or in the last year.

chrischeung
06-23-2009, 12:30 AM
they shouldnt sell the car if the techs are not ready to deal with the issue's. it doesn't matter if its a first year production or in the last year.

What if the problem only arose after production began? A lot of these issues come out of regular use, and not testing. Testing cannot simulate every environment, driving style, etc.

sunny_j
06-23-2009, 10:55 AM
why would bmw produce a car if they dont have trained techs to fix it.:dunno:

clambros
06-23-2009, 11:32 AM
My car has 400 miles on it .. I doubt any problem was post-production. Right now the car is in service (where it has been for over 7 days), and it will not program. The FSE has been out without any luck or progress. I'm not sure 400 miles is "regular use".

Seven11
06-23-2009, 05:17 PM
wow

worse than the 02 745s

b7series
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Someone posted a remark about taking delivery of the new 7 back in April which I read and took as credible advice (this site has always had excellent info). Unfortuantely, I've always been on the lease schedule where taking delivery of a new model was mandatory. Thankfully, I've heeded the advice learned here and am waiting for MY10 eventhough my lease is up in September (having been extended from last Sept 08). As a veteran 7 owner, I wouldn't go near a first year german model for any $. But for those who have, thanks for wanting to show off to the neighbors and giving of your valuable time to the techies. All of your input, including board comments, are going into the making future MYs less problematic. It's just a normal evolution of a introducing a new model.

johndade
06-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Sounds like alot of early software issues once again. It will probably get sorted out but you will have to play the we have a new program coming out next month game. Good luck gentlemen. Hope it only is software and not mechanical you guys paid way to much to have to be a regular at the dealer.

sunny_j
06-24-2009, 11:02 PM
honestly i would be pissed if my 100k+ car had this many problems. im a busy guy and dont have time to spend x amount of days a week at the dealer. what are you guys getting as courtesy cars?

JJ3699
06-25-2009, 12:34 AM
what are you guys getting as courtesy cars?

Hondas :rofl:

but seriously, they should be giving you guys something special

briansbimmer
06-25-2009, 04:52 AM
OK...I have not been here in a few days. As to the questions that have been asked. Car was manufactured in April 09. Secondly, the first loaner was a 3 series, second was a 5 series, I had a 545i Sport Package before the 750li Sport Package. But the main response is, the car is fixed. It took 4 days. Replacing the telematics unit did the trick and I have had no problems since. I understand it taking 4 days. Few dealers have telematics units for 09 750 sitting around the stock room as that is a really expensive part and this is new model. Telematics unit is brains of the phone, voice commands, SOS, and roadside assist. Finally, although I did not think that the dealers showed as much concern as they should have, it got fixed and I'm happy with car. I've had it back from shop for going on a month now and no problems since. I just started this thread to see how many others were experiencing problems and what I had to look forward to. Looks like me and 1 other reader of the 7 series board. Now a lot of people have not accepted delivery yet...but that makes me optimistic.

On an unrelated topic. The blue tooth is much improved from my 545i. Really, really fast. I was leaving a store and I sometimes start the car before closing door and putting on seat belt. The keyless entry and push button start is great. Just leave remote in pocket. If remote slips out of shorts or something loose like sweats car will not lock with remote in vehicle so you do not make mistake. I got a call through car seconds after starting it...before I had even closed door. In my 5 series I had to wait for at least 1 to 2 minutes before the phone and car mated.

briansbimmer
06-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Mineral White Metallic, Sport Package, Luxury seating front and rear, Rear Entertainment, Convenience Package, Camera Package, Driver Assistance Package, Instrument Panel with Leather, Ceramic Controls, Head-up Display.

Sorry...will not take my pics...try again later.

OK..here they are. Others were High Definition and site would not take.

want_a_7
06-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Mineral White Metallic, Sport Package, Luxury seating front and rear, Rear Entertainment, Convenience Package, Camera Package, Driver Assistance Package, Instrument Panel with Leather, Ceramic Controls, Head-up Display.

Sorry...will not take my pics...try again later.

OK..here they are. Others were High Definition and site would not take.

:thumbup: looks great

Kayani_1
06-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Wow.....seems like the new 7er is having troubles just like the older E65 version on its launch.:tsk:

sna77
06-29-2009, 10:38 AM
they ordered a telematics unit and the new one fixed it and I have had no problems since. All my favorite entertainment channels were still there and the 8 programmable buttons still programed. Evidently BMW has found a way to replace a telematics unit and save all your settings. In the past new telematic unit erases all settings.

I was talking to a tech about this before... They used to make them write down all the presets and reprogram the car when that stuff was changed... He said it was a major PITA as he'd be there with a notebook jotting down FM radio station numbers. haa

briansbimmer
06-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Well...what to say...so get telematics unit replaced and now parking brake malfunction. WTF? Driving around today June 29, 09 and stop in a strip mall while running errands. I had the cars "auto hold" feature on. That allows you to take your foot off the brake at lights or other prolonged stops. Nice feature. Well...I park the car and turn off as normal. I never set the parking brake, but when you have it set in "auto hold" (button behind the shifter) the parking brake is automatically engaged when you put the car in park and turn it off. Finish running my errands and get in the car, start it, and cannot move. Push the parking brake button (also behind the shifter) a number of times and the light on the parking brake button does not light up. Turn car off thinking maybe if I re-boot so to speak. Text message that about parking brake inoperable. Yellow triangle with exclamation point near speedometer and parking brake indicator between speedometer and rpm gauge stayed on in yellow.

Well...I blanked and instead of checking owners manual, which I keep in trunk, called roadside assist. Took a while but they were in the end helpful and talked me through finding the tool in trunk and taking up the trunk mat to manually disengage the parking brake. Need to remove two screws and use the tool to pull up on a steel post that is made to disengage parking brake. When you pull up on steel post it comes up about 4 inches and you are pulling a cable which you can see when you pull up on post. Requires a pretty strong tug.

Roadside assist: you are first connected to a guy who then connects you to another person. First one stays on line while other one talks me through it. Than second one says goodbye and first one calls dealer to make service appointment. Which of course goes direct to voicemail. So I will have no parking brake or "auto hold" until car gets into dealer after holiday weekend. Every time I start the car get message "Parking Brake! Car may roll" in dash and in heads up display. :confused: Pictures below...one showing steel post, another with tool laying next to post. Must be a pretty common thing if they make a special tool made for just this purpose? That is all the red tool pictured does.

Seven11
06-29-2009, 05:57 PM
the e65 got a lot of the parking brake malfuction but i have yet heard of somebody unable to release the brake, until you, but i have heard of people were unable to set the parking brake

Kayani_1
07-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I have used this auto brake function a few times in my E65 7er. But I am always afraid to use it for a prolonged time because I do not want to deal with this kind of trouble. Issues like this makes me wonder if BMW actually tests its car for prolonged period with these special functions before offering it to public.:dunno:

freshwhite335
07-03-2009, 12:09 AM
I have used this auto brake function a few times in my E65 7er. But I am always afraid to use it for a prolonged time because I do not want to deal with this kind of trouble. Issues like this makes me wonder if BMW actually tests its car for prolonged period with these special functions before offering it to public.:dunno:

i never uzed it on my family's E65. it never was smooth enough to warrant me not just keeping my foot on the brake. in the F01 though its much smoother.

briansbimmer
07-09-2009, 05:22 AM
My 750li went in shop on Monday the 6th of July. Went in at 8 am and back by 3 pm. Parking brake and auto hold work, however, still need a part that is in Germany and will not arrive for 7 to 10 days. I asked name of part but for the life of me cannot remember. I am not going to use auto hold until new part is installed. Do not want to chance it. When it gets done I'll post part listed on invoice.

briansbimmer
07-17-2009, 09:27 AM
A quick review: took delivery of pretty loaded 750li on May 14th, 2009. First it was the bluetooth, voice commands, and SOS/Roadside Assist. Replaced telematics unit and everything fine. Two weeks later am stranded in a parking lot because parking brake would not release. Roadside assist talked me through manually releasing parking brake. Could not get car into shop till one week later on July 6th 2009. During the wait no auto hold, no emergency brake, no parking brake, and warning in dash "Parking Brake! Car may roll." Got it in shop on the 6th of July and got the warning to go away and said I needed a part in Germany that would be here in 7 to 10 days. I have heard nothing but I'm pretty confident I'll get a call when it comes in and so far dealers service department has been OK.

So...what's the latest? I'm driving from DC suburbs to eastern shore of Delaware yesterday the 17th of July. No warning chime but I notice the yellow triangle with exclamation point on in dash board. I got to the cars status information in the iDrive and navigate to warning. Says oil is at minimum level. Nothing about stopping driving or to pull over immediately. I use the navigation to find the closest BMW service center and luckily one was right on my route 3 miles away from my current location. Heavy traffic and I get there in less than 10 minutes. Go in buy a quart of oil and since no dipstick and oil level screen does not tell me how much to add I am not sure. Having to much oil is just as bad as being short. So poke my head in service managers office and he is very nice tells me to pull it one of the bays. Get in car to pull in bay and this time it does a warning chime and text in dash that oil is at minimum level. They do some checking...say I need a quart..and add it. To check oil level navigate to that screen and prompt it to run the check (while car is running), takes about 5 minutes and then car shows you where the oil level is at. I buy another quart just to have it with me. I was in and out in less than 25 minutes. Get back on road and warning light is still on for rest of ride to beach. Car sat all night and ran a check this morning...oil level is OK and the warning light is off.

So...service techs were nice and said it was nothing to be to concerned about and while not a common thing on new cars with less than 6K miles it does happen. I have been driving it pretty hard and was taking a friend for a ride the day before and did get the RPMs in the yellow range. So...I'll continue to keep posting and...well I don't know...really not to concerned...or should I be?

sunny_j
07-17-2009, 01:02 PM
A quick review: took delivery of pretty loaded 750li on May 14th, 2009. First it was the bluetooth, voice commands, and SOS/Roadside Assist. Replaced telematics unit and everything fine. Two weeks later am stranded in a parking lot because parking brake would not release. Roadside assist talked me through manually releasing parking brake. Could not get car into shop till one week later on July 6th 2009. During the wait no auto hold, no emergency brake, no parking brake, and warning in dash "Parking Brake! Car may roll." Got it in shop on the 6th of July and got the warning to go away and said I needed a part in Germany that would be here in 7 to 10 days. I have heard nothing but I'm pretty confident I'll get a call when it comes in and so far dealers service department has been OK.

So...what's the latest? I'm driving from DC suburbs to eastern shore of Delaware yesterday the 17th of July. No warning chime but I notice the yellow triangle with exclamation point on in dash board. I got to the cars status information in the iDrive and navigate to warning. Says oil is at minimum level. Nothing about stopping driving or to pull over immediately. I use the navigation to find the closest BMW service center and luckily one was right on my route 3 miles away from my current location. Heavy traffic and I get there in less than 10 minutes. Go in buy a quart of oil and since no dipstick and oil level screen does not tell me how much to add I am not sure. Having to much oil is just as bad as being short. So poke my head in service managers office and he is very nice tells me to pull it one of the bays. Get in car to pull in bay and this time it does a warning chime and text in dash that oil is at minimum level. They do some checking...say I need a quart..and add it. To check oil level navigate to that screen and prompt it to run the check (while car is running), takes about 5 minutes and then car shows you where the oil level is at. I buy another quart just to have it with me. I was in and out in less than 25 minutes. Get back on road and warning light is still on for rest of ride to beach. Car sat all night and ran a check this morning...oil level is OK and the warning light is off.

So...service techs were nice and said it was nothing to be to concerned about and while not a common thing on new cars with less than 6K miles it does happen. I have been driving it pretty hard and was taking a friend for a ride the day before and did get the RPMs in the yellow range. So...I'll continue to keep posting and...well I don't know...really not to concerned...or should I be?
:eek::rolleyes::tsk:

hayden
07-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Go in buy a quart of oil...

Why pay for? It should be free. I would have just asked an advisor to take care of it real quick...

I heard lots of places that these cars are very oil hungry...

sunny_j
07-17-2009, 04:31 PM
oil should be free and covered under the maintenance plan

briansbimmer
07-18-2009, 06:12 AM
I did not even think about paying for the oil. I have my receipt for both quarts and will take them to my home dealer. I had never been to this dealership before and I was going to add it myself. It wasn't till I popped the hood with the oil in my hand and remembered no dipstick....and the green bars were right at the minimum in the iDrive but did not really say how much to add or if it did I did not see it. That's when I asked for help. Anyway....your both right...I'll take the receipts in.

vectorz
07-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Wow, this sounds like the worst experience any $100k car can give you. My sympathies :( I spent far less and yet have gone through enough grief myself thinking if I got a new one I wouldn't have had to go through all of that, but this has proven me wrong.

Seven11
07-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I did not even think about paying for the oil. I have my receipt for both quarts and will take them to my home dealer. I had never been to this dealership before and I was going to add it myself. It wasn't till I popped the hood with the oil in my hand and remembered no dipstick....and the green bars were right at the minimum in the iDrive but did not really say how much to add or if it did I did not see it. That's when I asked for help. Anyway....your both right...I'll take the receipts in.

oil top offs are not covered under any warranty or maintenance plan

but i would still try to get my money back, it doesnt matter if its even $5, its in the principle, it wasnt your fault so you shouldnt pay for it

i would try too see if u can lemon the car and get one that wont be so problematic

hayden
07-26-2009, 05:19 PM
oil top offs are not covered under any warranty or maintenance plan

I don't think that is correct. It should be covered under the BMW Ultimate Service plan.

i would try too see if u can lemon the car and get one that wont be so problematic

Have you ever "lemoned" a car before? The process is extremely difficult...

OneOfOne
07-26-2009, 07:30 PM
OK...I have not been here in a few days. As to the questions that have been asked. Car was manufactured in April 09. Secondly, the first loaner was a 3 series, second was a 5 series, I had a 545i Sport Package before the 750li Sport Package. But the main response is, the car is fixed. It took 4 days. Replacing the telematics unit did the trick and I have had no problems since. I understand it taking 4 days. Few dealers have telematics units for 09 750 sitting around the stock room as that is a really expensive part and this is new model. Telematics unit is brains of the phone, voice commands, SOS, and roadside assist. Finally, although I did not think that the dealers showed as much concern as they should have, it got fixed and I'm happy with car. I've had it back from shop for going on a month now and no problems since. I just started this thread to see how many others were experiencing problems and what I had to look forward to. Looks like me and 1 other reader of the 7 series board. Now a lot of people have not accepted delivery yet...but that makes me optimistic.

On an unrelated topic. The blue tooth is much improved from my 545i. Really, really fast. I was leaving a store and I sometimes start the car before closing door and putting on seat belt. The keyless entry and push button start is great. Just leave remote in pocket. If remote slips out of shorts or something loose like sweats car will not lock with remote in vehicle so you do not make mistake. I got a call through car seconds after starting it...before I had even closed door. In my 5 series I had to wait for at least 1 to 2 minutes before the phone and car mated.

regarding the keyless entry and start and unlockable with keys inside, my lexus has had this for 4 years. you would think bmw would have made this standard since its hardly new technology. from what I am hearing the fact that the dealer shows little concern is because he knows someone else will come in and be blinded by the roundel. I love the previous gen 7 series but am constantly reminded of why I just dont go ahead and get one. bmw electronics is a joke.

briansbimmer
07-27-2009, 05:38 AM
from what I am hearing the fact that the dealer shows little concern is because he knows someone else will come in and be blinded by the roundel.

Whatever....who can explain the ways of the human heart.

I love my car and have not even thought about "lemoning" it. I do not think I am anywhere close to that point. But speaking of that...where is Clambros? He has not posted in months.

Dealer is being much more responsive since the telematics problem back in early June. Last week I got a $1000.00 gift certificate to a local portrait studio. Not sure if it was from the dealer or BMW USA. I ran in to my salesman in Starbucks and he knew nothing about it. It's a studio where the artist uses paint to make the photo look closer to a painted portrait. Thought that was nice.

Update on the car...the part from Germany is in and has been at the dealers for almost 2 weeks. I leave for a trip on August 1 and am swamped at work, therefore will not get it installed until I return. So leaving the oil aside (which I think is in part dependent upon how hard you drive the car) no problems since July 6th. Miles away from the stringent requirements of my states lemon law.

harjothundal
09-15-2009, 02:41 AM
Have you ever "lemoned" a car before? The process is extremely difficult...

not really, espacially when you're talking about a 7 series.........

hayden
09-15-2009, 09:44 AM
not really, espacially when you're talking about a 7 series.........

Care to elaborate? I take it you've lemoned a 7 series before...

sunny_j
09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Care to elaborate? I take it you've lemoned a 7 series before...

he and a few other members have lemoned their E65/66s fairy easily

harjothundal
09-15-2009, 01:26 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303662&highlight=

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300448&highlight=

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303223&highlight=

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320759&highlight=

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316516&highlight=

You can review these links for details of my ordeal, if you wish... I researched a lot... I debated weather to hire a lawyer, or not... A lawyer would not have cost me much as BMW would be responsible, but I felt I had a strong case and approached BMW myself... I wrote a detailed letter, almost 5-6 pages... I told them why I purchased the car, what my expectations of the car were, and how they were not met/why they were not met... I explained every single failure in detail, and attached pictures of every failure that I had taken with my iphone... Some of the more serious issues I had documented on videotape (this was the only way to get BMW service to attempt to fix some of the failures) ... I sent all this in a well compiled document, cover page and all... I sent 3 exact copies.... 1 to the bmw dealer i was dealing with, 1 to bmw headquarters, and 1 directly to bmw's customer buyback department... I wouldn't say i "threatened" bmw in the letter, but I did state I would pursue the issue furthur if a resolution could not be reached mutually...

That was all there was to it... Do keep in mind though, my car had numerous and serious issues to it's safety features, and spent a very large amount of time in the shop...

I hate to say it, cause though the new 7 is growing on my in terms of looks; some of you seem like you may have to take the same routh... especially considering you put out that kind of cash in this economy!!!

briansbimmer
09-15-2009, 03:03 PM
WOW harjothundal. That was interesting reading. I can see why they replaced the car. My problems pale in comparison. I'll briefly re-cap (apologies to regular readers who have to hear it again.

1) Telematics replaced about three weeks in. Since then no problems with electronics or iDrive. Took two visits to the shop in same week...trip back because I lost my temper and left. My bad...that is no way to get your car fixed...take it from me. :rofl:

2) Parking Brake/Auto Hold. Stranded in lot. Roadside assist...manual release in trunk. Trip to shop. Part in Germany. Part recalled. I was told they are working on a fix. 2 days in shop...1 this week for nothing as my service advisor did not know the part I came in to have installed had been recalled. This week I get a Ford Focus for the day. So this is going on 2 months. The car drives fine while waiting for this fix...no warnings in dash or iDrive. I do not trust auto hold or parking brake and have not used either for past 2 months. Let's hope if I need emergency brake it works.

Added a quart of oil with less than 5K miles. It's a bimmer...they do that.

So...nothing like your nightmares.

harjothundal
09-15-2009, 03:29 PM
best of luck, and i hope nothing serious occurs at a later date! with the amount of electronics these vehicles have onboard, it's hard to achieve 100% reliability... though, somehow, lexus does it...

XZLR8
09-16-2009, 06:59 AM
best of luck, and i hope nothing serious occurs at a later date! with the amount of electronics these vehicles have onboard, it's hard to achieve 100% reliability... though, somehow, lexus does it...
Not always. My parents had (still have, until the winter) an LS for the same period of time that I had my 650i. Their car managed to be in the shop numerous times for all manner of stupid.

ceoengr
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Not always. My parents had (still have, until the winter) an LS for the same period of time that I had my 650i. Their car managed to be in the shop numerous times for all manner of stupid.

I have an 07 LS460L loaded with every option Lexus makes and it hasn't been in the shop for any warranty work except for routine maintenance. I have other Lexus products in my driveway and they are all just as reliable. Whereas my Mini S and the 5 series driven by my teenagers have been in the shop for quite a few warranty repairs. Don't get me wrong. BMW makes fine automobiles, and I love to drive them especially the Mini S, but they are shop hogs.

briansbimmer
10-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Finally got my car fixed. This problem with parking brake has been going on since July 4th weekend. Part that came from Germany to fix it was recalled. New Part came in middle of September...my schedule would not allow me to get car in shop till last Wed., the 30th of September. My service advisor brought a loaner to my home on the evening of the 29th and took my car. They brought it back on the 2nd...around 9 pm.

It went in for the brake and also a spark plug recall. My car was produced in early 09 so later production may not have spark plug issues. Since the parking brake switch is electronic the entire car had to be re-programmed. They had trouble with the radio and there was a wait for the "adaption codes" from BMWUSA...whatever those are. Lost all my "Presets" and the 8 programmable buttons were erased. Which is a bit strange, I have also had the "telmatics" unit replaced and they were not erased then? My music library was still there, thankful for that as it took a while to build it.

They said I may notice some small differences since I have the newest firmware version. I have noticed 2 so far. When you exceed your pre-set top speed not only do you get the warning chime....now I also get message in heads up display with large exclamation point. The second thing I have noticed is when in park with car running...the heads up display says "BMW" with those lines underneath similar to ones in dash below speedometer and rpm gauge. Nice touch.

Number of people on this board have had problems with parking brake, I was wondering who else has had the fix done? Anybody else have the spark plug recall?

asaseaban
10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
It went in for the brake and also a spark plug recall. My car was produced in early 09 so later production may not have spark plug issues...

My F02 was manufactured 02/2009 so you think i'm affected by the recall? Haven't received any mail or notification of any recall, yet. Where can i find more information about the '09 F01/F02 recalls?

asaseaban
10-05-2009, 08:15 AM
I went to nhtsa.dot.gov website and didn't find any recall for 2009 7 series. This is where i normally go to check on recalls for BMW 7 series.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=203739&d=1254752097

briansbimmer
10-06-2009, 05:19 AM
I see you are from Northern VA...so I assume you got your car from Sterling BMW? Give them a call or where you got your car. My Invoice says "Customer Request Service Campaign...REPLACE ALL PLUGS AS PER SIB." My service advisor has always used the word "recall" and it may be some kind of internal BMW issue, something short of any government action. My car was produced around your time so I would think you need it. Maybe send your service advisor an email with link to this thread?

Let us know what you find out...can't be something unique to my car?

briansbimmer
10-06-2009, 05:35 AM
OK...you had me curious so I just got off the phone with my service advisor. He said it's a case by case basis...when my car was in the shop previously they ran what he called a "short test" and came back that my car needed it. He also said they had done a "bunch" of them. He is not sure if some cars got different plugs but thinks that may be the case.

asaseaban
10-06-2009, 05:51 AM
I see you are from Northern VA...so I assume you got your car from Sterling BMW? Give them a call or where you got your car. My Invoice says "Customer Request Service Campaign...REPLACE ALL PLUGS AS PER SIB." My service advisor has always used the word "recall" and it may be some kind of internal BMW issue, something short of any government action. My car was produced around your time so I would think you need it. Maybe send your service advisor an email with link to this thread?

Let us know what you find out...can't be something unique to my car?

Actually i got my first '09 750Li from BMW of Fairfax but my 1st ED 750Li was thru BMW of Sterling. I went to the dealership (BMW of Fairfax) yesterday to pickup a remote but i totally forgot to ask about the recall. I will contact them today and see what they have to say.

dm5272
10-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Briansbimmer -

I have been reading your updates on these issues and Im glad your are not (at least via updates) not loosing your cool and having a pretty good attitude with your new car.

I had a series of issues with my 2002 745Li, but what really helps is the BMW service and my local dealer being able to provide a new car every time while they try to fix the issue. This is really the "music" that helps calm the savage beast (as Bugs Bunny says) within me. If I this was not the case - I would not be a happy camper.

I received my new 2009 7 on June 30th (ED) - An Individual fully loaded and I did not have any issues - everything worked. Being a "techie-lover" - I tried everything in my car the first day (took all night).
The only items that drew a flag was the blind spot detector, but I was not completely sure if it malfunctioned but when the car arrived to the US, I had my dealer review if any updates where available since my blind spot sensors never turned on. Not sure if the dealer updated anything, Im guessing he did but It worked on my drive home from the dealer.
I have had zero issues (knock on wood) - but I wish I had your patience if I was in that situation - Kudos! I hope your issues are resolved!

Also - whoever said in a previous comment in this thread that BMW does not cover topping your oil - Must obviously either own a Mercedes or must take his BMW to Meineke for all maintenance service. One of the most incorrect comment I have heard in Bimmerfest. :)

briansbimmer
10-07-2009, 04:34 AM
So...I do not know wether I'm a chump :confused: or a saint :angel:?

I did loose my cool about the time of the telematics replacement. Service Department has been great since. And the 1K gift certificate helped. Last week they made two trips to my home to drop off the loaner, take my car, and then return it.

I could not understand why replacing spark plugs and the emergency brake actuator took three days...or that somehow my radio got involved in that. WTF? The explanation I got was that the brake actuator is an electronic switch and that required a re-program of entire car and there was a delay getting the radio enable codes from BMW.

There was an episode of the BBC program "Top Gear" and they were testing a BMW 6 series, a Jaguar, and a Porsche. They were all ready to go except for the guy driving the BMW...he spent 5 minutes setting up the car in the iDrive menu's. Pretty funny.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/episodes/series4episode5.shtml

Truth is there is no other car I would rather drive. I got my fingers crossed.

briansbimmer
10-07-2009, 04:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBXktD-SNQ Here is the clip.

LovinM6
10-07-2009, 08:32 AM
So...I do not know wether I'm a chump :confused: or a saint :angel:?

I did loose my cool about the time of the telematics replacement. Service Department has been great since. And the 1K gift certificate helped. Last week they made two trips to my home to drop off the loaner, take my car, and then return it.

I could not understand why replacing spark plugs and the emergency brake actuator took three days...or that somehow my radio got involved in that. WTF? The explanation I got was that the brake actuator is an electronic switch and that required a re-program of entire car and there was a delay getting the radio enable codes from BMW.

There was an episode of the BBC program "Top Gear" and they were testing a BMW 6 series, a Jaguar, and a Porsche. They were all ready to go except for the guy driving the BMW...he spent 5 minutes setting up the car in the iDrive menu's. Pretty funny.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/episodes/series4episode5.shtml

Truth is there is no other car I would rather drive. I got my fingers crossed.

Man...I do hope I don't experience a lot of stuff like this. I don't have the patience for it and it won't be pretty.

A few years ago I got a M45 to see what that experience was all about and it never went into the shop except for service. Then I got an Aston Vanquish S which was a disaster and then into my NM M6 which was pretty good on service.

I really hope this new 7 that is going to get here around Thanksgiving does not like the guys in the service department! :dunno:

briansbimmer
10-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Oh..that "lost in the iDrive" video above is over 6 minutes...but the fun part is within the first minute. BMW driver's will appreciate it.

bcool
10-20-2009, 05:01 PM

Today my 750i low oil warning came on. Onboard computer tells me to add a quart of oil. What baffles me is that I only have 1200miles on this and have NOT driven it hard and don't intend to until it has at least 2000miles on it. Is this common??

CT7er
10-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Today my 750i low oil warning came on. Onboard computer tells me to add a quart of oil. What baffles me is that I only have 1200miles on this and have NOT driven it hard and don't intend to until it has at least 2000miles on it. Is this common??

Very common with a new BMW V-8. Not a problem.

asaseaban
10-21-2009, 08:11 AM
I guess the oil consumption is based on the driving. I have 4500 miles on my '09 F02 that i've had since 03/21 and i haven't had a single issue including the low oil warning message. I drive about 80 miles to and from work (mostly VA-DC traffic) M-F. On the average i do about 65 mph each way on i-95.

briansbimmer
11-02-2009, 05:47 AM
This weekend I had to add a 2nd quart of oil @ 10,500 miles. Added first quart @ 5,300 miles. Warning chime in middle of 3 hour drive north to Philly. I guess I'll keep oil in my trunk at all times.

bcool
11-02-2009, 10:25 AM
This weekend I had to add a 2nd quart of oil @ 10,500 miles. Added first quart @ 5,300 miles. Warning chime in middle of 3 hour drive north to Philly. I guess I'll keep oil in my trunk at all times.

I never had that prob with my last 7. There must be some kind of design defect if we all have to carry few quarts of oil!!

briansbimmer
11-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Not sure what it is. A number of readers have posted about oil. Some with as little as 1300 miles. Could it be the twin turbo's? My garage floor is clean...no oil stains or puddles. I do agree that it is a good idea to keep a quart in trunk. Saves time.

asaseaban
11-03-2009, 05:39 AM
Not sure what it is. A number of readers have posted about oil. Some with as little as 1300 miles. Could it be the twin turbo's? My garage floor is clean...no oil stains or puddles. I do agree that it is a good idea to keep a quart in trunk. Saves time.

I believe it's the turbo plus how you drive; the higher the rpm...the harder you drive...the higher the oil consumption.

hayden
11-03-2009, 08:13 AM
I believe it's the turbo plus how you drive; the higher the rpm...the harder you drive...the higher the oil consumption.

I've got 1950 miles and no oil complaints. And it was driven hard in Europe.

asaseaban
11-03-2009, 08:25 AM
I've got 1950 miles and no oil complaints. And it was driven hard in Europe.

Mine just tick over to 4700 and still no light/warning for oil. It look like no one seems to know the true cause of the rapid oil consumption. I don't see this being a problem across the board for all F01/02s that's why i assume the harder you drive the car the more oil it consumes.

bimmerbama
01-22-2010, 11:05 PM
I need to know what the triangle with excalmation point is on instrument panel of a 325i

briansbimmer
01-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Driving it hard>>>Briansbimmer, guilty as charged.