PDA

View Full Version : Tips for rear seat rattle

Alex Baumann
12-27-2001, 04:51 PM
Well, it was about time to treat the leather in my car again. Rear seats were rattling and squeaking. So I've folded the seats and applied some silicone spray on the sides (where leather touching leather). It really works.

Alex

325xi-SteelGray
12-28-2001, 06:30 AM
I have tried everything to get my rear fold down seats to stop squeaking. Is it actually the seats rubbing together? So you just simply use some leather ('ette in my case) to cease the madness? Any suggestions for the headrest rattle?

Alex Baumann
12-28-2001, 07:58 AM
I don't have the headrest rattle thing but yes fold the rear seats down and apply some silicone spray on the rubbing parts.

ashecnc
12-28-2001, 11:23 AM
Where did you buy the spray?

Alex Baumann
12-28-2001, 04:02 PM
You can find it any auto parts shop, I think

ashecnc
12-28-2001, 05:39 PM
IC, i'll check that out and spray it everywhereeeeeeeeee

Alex Baumann
12-28-2001, 05:42 PM
I use it every two months or so. That was hint that my sales rep gave me.

MAK
12-29-2001, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the tip! Any other ideas your salesrep gave you? Please share!
Mike

sunilsf
06-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks for this post (even though it's dated)
My car has ~ 42K miles on it w/o a squeak... sure enough, yesterday this started. Seems kind of strange for it to have started all of a sudden.

Really glad that this site exists as this thread just saved me a trip to the dealer.

Raffi
06-20-2004, 02:25 PM
You could also soak the sides of the folding seats with Lexol or some other leather treatment.

TGray5
06-20-2004, 07:33 PM
You could also soak the sides of the folding seats with Lexol or some other leather treatment.

I would agree that this is a better solution than silicone spray...not so sure that is very good for the leather. Many BMWs have front seat squeaks where the leather meets the plastic base and I've always found leather conditioner to silence it and I would imagine it would do the same for the rear seats. BTW, my rear fold down seats have suede panels where they touch each other, presumably to prevent squeaks.

st_o_p
06-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Don't know how relevant this is, but I have a folding rear seats and I had a rattle there almost from the get go. The service guy told me it's a known problem - the latches of the folding seats. They taped them or something and that took care of it

cantona7
06-23-2004, 07:32 AM
I put felt/velcro tape along the edges of the folding rear seats that meet the rear deck. This has killed a lot of the squeaks and rattles I used to hear. The one I'm trying to take care of now is the clacking of the seatbelt fastener against the little metal button in the seatbelt itself. I'm pretty close to solving that one, so if anyone wants to know how, just holler.