PDA

View Full Version : Why are there only E46 owners in here?


Jason 325i Step
12-27-2001, 06:23 PM
.

Mystikal
12-27-2001, 06:29 PM
I bring it back to psychology.

See, I figure that E46 owners are people who like to have the newest and supposedly best. That covers the lack of E21/30/36's.

Also, logically, the most popular BMW is the 3-series, so that explains the lack of any other series in here.

That's my theory. Yes, I know it just produces more questions than it answers, but whatever. :cool:

Jason 325i Step
12-27-2001, 06:33 PM
I say we shove any non-E46ers outta this joint :cool:

nate
12-27-2001, 06:39 PM
Because we all "defected" from the E46 board at bimmer.org, although I was never loyal.

TD
12-27-2001, 07:00 PM
Um, Jason, there are quite a few E36-ers in here. I can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head.

But, yes, it's mostly E46-ers since we most of us migrated from the E46 board at Roadfly.

geomax
12-27-2001, 07:02 PM
Still, it would be great to have a forum for each model...

Jason 325i Step
12-27-2001, 07:14 PM
I agree

Originally posted by geomax
Still, it would be great to have a forum for each model...

TD
12-27-2001, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by geomax
Still, it would be great to have a forum for each model...

I totally DISagree. If you had any experience with BMWs prior to the E46, you'd know that most of the questions people would ask are not E46 specific. Even looking at the E46 board at Roadfly, over 95% of posts there are NOT E46 specific. Most of the E46's features are NOT new on the E46 (the damn 37 degree beep goes back at least to the mid-'80s). And, actually, a majority of the questions on the E46 board are not even truly BMW specific (tires, dealing with salespeople, manual vs auto tranny, etc).

Why not learn from those who aren't just latecomers to the BMW party?

Jason 325i Step
12-27-2001, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by TD


I totally DISagree. If you had any experience with BMWs prior to the E46, you'd know that most of the questions people would ask are not E46 specific. Even looking at the E46 board at Roadfly, over 95% of posts there are NOT E46 specific. Most of the E46's features are NOT new on the E46 (the damn 37 degree beep goes back at least to the mid-'80s). And, actually, a majority of the questions on the E46 board are not even truly BMW specific (tires, dealing with salespeople, manual vs auto tranny, etc).

Why not learn from those who aren't just latecomers to the BMW party?

I am TOATLLY not surprised that you disagree. In fact- had you of agreed, I wouldnt have believed my eyes...I would dismiss it as a super-natural-phenomenon that would be impoossible to happen. My .03

TD
12-27-2001, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Jason 325i Step


I am TOATLLY not surprised that you disagree. In fact- had you of agreed, I wouldnt have believed my eyes...I would dismiss it as a super-natural-phenomenon that would be impoossible to happen. My .03

Jason, you are going on my "Ignore" list now. Fortunately, this board's software can ignore you for me. Woohoo.

Jason 325i Step
12-27-2001, 07:34 PM
I'm glad that this board does- because if it didn't, you wouldnt be able to resist to replying to posts like this one. They eat away at you. BTW, Merry Ignoring bud

ashecnc
12-27-2001, 07:45 PM
You both are joking with each other or are you serious?

LilEccentricJ
12-27-2001, 07:52 PM
They're joking ;)

Eric Giles
12-28-2001, 08:43 AM
Some of us have E30's also... :D

Made the pic a little more managable.

http://members.roadfly.com/egiles/E30side.jpg

Alex Baumann
12-28-2001, 08:45 AM
As long as it starts with an E no problemo. :D

LilEccentricJ
12-28-2001, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Eric Giles
Some of us have E30's also... :D


Now that I like! You got any interior pics? I have always wanted that body style! What were the model years for the E30? Anyway, take care of that one Eric!

TD
12-28-2001, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by LilEccentricJ


Now that I like! You got any interior pics? I have always wanted that body style! What were the model years for the E30? Anyway, take care of that one Eric!

The E30 coupes were produced until '91, the convertibles until '92.

I had an E30 318is and still miss it. I've been on the lookout for a good example and, if I find one, I might have to buy it.

Eric Giles
12-28-2001, 09:00 AM
Thanks JB! I happen to have one interior pic, but it is only of the dash and doesn't show much of that. Sorry for the poor image quality, but the 3 year old Kodak digital camera isn't up to today's standards. :(

http://members.roadfly.com/egiles/DCP01417.JPG

E30 model years in the US were from 1984-1991, although there were E30 convertibles being sold here in '92 and '93 before the E36 convertible was released.

I almost recently sold the car to a friend of mine, but backed out after spending a weekend cleaning it up again. These are VERY fun cars to drive-not as refined and up to date as the E46, but in some ways they are more fun to drive. This car is a 5 speed with 160k miles and no problems at all. It accelerated faster than the '00 323Ci Step I recently sold-of course the lighter weight and manual transmission has something to do with that.

I personally recommend to anyone that wants a second car to get an E30. Parts are not expensive, and they are really easy to work on. Plus, they really are reliable. I do all the work on it myself, and have never done any automotive work before (beside changing oil, filters, and plugs). Buy a Bentley manual, read a few E30 related websites, and you are set!

Emission
12-28-2001, 09:05 AM
I like the E30 too. It looks like you can strap in on your back and throw it around... just like the E30 M3! Light and small.

I would love an E30 325i to play with on the weekends! Aren't they going for $7500-12,000 now?

TD
12-28-2001, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Emission
I like the E30 too. It looks like you can strap in on your back and throw it around... just like the E30 M3! Light and small.

I would love an E30 325i to play with on the weekends! Aren't they going for $7500-12,000 now?

A lot depends on year. You can get an '87-'89 325 for under $5K. The most you'll find a non-M E30 going for is probably $10K and that'll still be a garage queen.

LilEccentricJ
12-28-2001, 09:14 AM
CRAP... Now I want an E30! I was just in the backyard messing with my 85 MR2 and It's just not a BMW... Gunno look over on eBay now :)

Eric Giles
12-28-2001, 09:16 AM
Emission-

I guess it depends on what area you are looking. I bought my '90 325iS with 147k miles last October here in Mississippi for $4700-and it is in great mechanical condition. There are dings and scratches in the body, but most 10-12 year old cars are going to have these anyway. During the past year I have put in over $2500 worth of parts and upgrades. Nothing was broken, I just wanted to get the preventive and scheduled maintenance done (timing belt, water pump, etc.) Most of the money was for the Ronal wheel and tire upgrade, which really helped the handling and appearance of the car.

Another example-a buddy of mine here just sold his '87 325iS with just over 200k miles for $5000. It was in great shape also, but I don't think it was worth that much.

Emission
12-28-2001, 09:26 AM
I think you may have sold me. I have always liked the looks anyway!

Now, if I could just get rid of my 330i.....

bmw325
12-28-2001, 11:27 AM
One thing I like is that you can barely see the body side crease-- something I've never liked about the E46. The car looks so much more sculpted and solid w/o it (as in your pic).

jeddclampette
12-29-2001, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Eric Giles


I bought my '90 325iS with 147k miles last October here in Mississippi for $4700-and it is in great mechanical condition. There are dings and scratches in the body, but most 10-12 year old cars are going to have these anyway.

Bought my '81 323i a couple of years ago w/ ...get this...57k miles w/ cold,cold A/C, 5 speed Close Ratio manual trans, sunroof, CD radio, new 14" ASV tires on 2pce basketweave Enkei, NO DENTS or RUST, fuel injected, with FACTORY TRUE DUAL EXHAUSTS! It was the only BMW w/ dual exhaust, up until the e39 M5 & MZ3 & E49 M3 debut. Paid $4750 cash...and have been driving it daily.
http://members.roadfly.com/jeddclampette/rear_bumper_compare.jpg
I gotta tell ya, w/ a weight of just barely 2200lbs, and driven by a factory installed 2.3L M20 six cylinder engine, it keeps up w/ the z3 2.8L, e46 2.8L and lays a mean 3rd gear scratch. Power to weight ratio is very very good. Don't think you'll lose me around a turn or two...

So to respond to the original post....the 3er is well represented here on this board, I would think :D

ALEX325i
12-29-2001, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by LilEccentricJ
They're joking ;)

Your E30 seems to be in EXCELLENT shape!