PDA

View Full Version : 7 Series vs. Jag XJ

raddy
07-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Do you guys think the Jag XJ will stir things up in this segment?

The new 7 looks much better in person than in pictures. Will be interested to see how the new XJ tries to compete against it.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2009/BMW/2009.bmw.7%20series.20258575-E.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/jaguar-xj_21_lhd_usa_opt.jpg

asadkhan1988
07-09-2009, 08:53 PM
raddy,

earlier today was the first time i saw the new 2010 XJ(online photos; not in person), and i can say i am NOT impressed.

Your flagship model must not look like a stretched out economy model which you produce(xf).

jaguar is going for a look which is unheard of in terms of jaguar styling; especially in regard to the flagship XJ.

I personally would have enjoyed an upgraded look to the outgoing XJ(200x-2009); that car is beautiful, british.

Perhaps this new XJ will grow on me; although my doubts are relevant.

Interior looks a little foolish as well; wood absent from the dash, rather placed in an unusual fashion(refer to picture above).

BMW and Mercedes Benz(excluding 150k+ uberluxe vehicles as bentley) are the top flight competitors; all others are merely followers.

regards

chrischeung
07-10-2009, 01:12 AM
I like the car. Styling from the front is better than from the rear - which is unusual. Also it has a number of innovative technology interpretations - split screen, glass roof, multi channel stereo. They are being more avant-garde than BMW and MB can be - since they are playing catch up. Pricing is also super competitive - for not much more than a 5er, you can get into an XJ. The reliability numbers on the XF also look good.

At least it will sell better than the old XJ. A move in the right direction. With Tata resources, hopefully they can sustain some momentum.

zibawala
07-10-2009, 10:39 AM
and that too excessive timber!! yuk

Leslierc
07-13-2009, 08:04 AM
First, I have to applaud Jaguar for eshewing their "traditional" styling cues on the 2010 XJ. I read recently that the XF significantly (and negatively) impacted Jaguar's JD Power rankings this year; so, we'll have to see how the 2010 XJ fares on reliability. I think Jaguar's sense for their flagship is consistent with the trend towards high performance sedan-coupes that we're beginning to see from such icons as Aston Martin, MB, and Porsche.

bklynbm
07-14-2009, 09:50 AM
I like what Jag did...the old body style was dated and it was time for them to move on...I am not a big fan of wood in cars but if you must do it I am OK with it being in big luxury cars...cars with any sense of sport about them my preference is aluminum or carbon fiber...again it's a personal choice and I might be in the minority but that's why Baskin Robbins has 21 flavors...to each is own...I'd like to see the XJ in person but my Jag dealership just told me they won't have one until December.

One thing is certain...whatever that car goes for now.. within 18-24 months it will be a great buy on the used car market. Jags are notorious for that and quite frankly all of the full size luxury marks with maybe the Mercedes S Class being the only one that doesn't drop as fast...BMW 7 Series...Audi A8 and the Jaguar XJ are all great buys 24 months after new. Porsche is also about to find that out as well. You have to love it!

mrmicr
07-15-2009, 10:48 PM
31 flavors.

rgbyhkr
07-16-2009, 07:38 AM
First, for those who may be interested, BMWBlog has posted a short entry with pics comparing the new XJ to the 7:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/13/2010-jaguar-xj-a-tough-competitor-for-the-bmw-7-series/

As a 2007 750Li owner, I am definitely going to take a look at the XJ before deciding what to do when my lease runs out. The new 7 is nice, but I honestly like the look of my current model more. Of course, all the tech upgrades in the new 7 are almost impossible for me to resist - new nav, revised idrive, better iPod integration, HUD, much better RSE, etc. After seeing the MSport package pics, I want to see that version in person as it may do enough for me to overcome my current dislike of the exterior.

The lines of the new XJ definitely appeal to me right off the bat. I also like the interior finishing and the accent border on the seats (a la the full size Range Rover). The tech on the new XJ has some similar features, but the 7 has a few more. Just a few comparative observations in that department:

- Unless I missed it, there's no BMW Assist equivalent on the Jag. In the day and age of iPhones, some of its functionality isn't as useful as it used to be - save for accident notification and remote door unlock. I'd likely never use it for concierge type services, traffic or web surfing. That being said, I do like the BMW Assist "Send to Car" feature from Google maps.

- I'm gonna make a complete guess here, but I'd say that the B&W sound system in the Jag will be better than the top offering on the 7. I'm a B&W speaker fan and like the sound they produce. Beyond that, the new Audyssey MultEQ processing technology in the Jag could really make for better sound along with the B&W speakers. I've heard it used in home theater processors and it can make a big difference. For people who are serious sound nuts, the Jag's system is attractive. I really wish BMW would take another step up and offer really high quality sound in some of the models.

- Without having seen the new Jag nav (other than what's in the online pics and videos), I'll take another guess and say that the BMW version is better. At casual glance, the Jag appears to be a gen behind, but we'll have to see when it actually does go into production.

- For some folks, the touchscreen on the Jag will be preferable, even to the new idrive, as a way to operate the music and nav systems. Touch controls are more common these days and I think that a lot of folks find them easy to use, especially when presented with an unfamiliar machine that they haven't used before. I don't really care either way as I can figure out both, but my wife might prefer the touchscreen.

- The dual view aspect of the front touchscreen on the Jag is cool, but may not be useful for everyone. I would probably use it, but I will hardly ever be sitting in the passenger seat. My wife gets nauseous while watching video in a car, so she never will. Although I did see Autoblog say about this is an article on the new Jag "We understand that this technology is not yet legal in the U.S. for front seat use" (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/09/2010-jaguar-xj-we-get-hands-on-with-coventrys-new-big-cat/), so once again US owners get screwed.

- From what I have found out so far, like the new 7, you do have playback controls on the RSE from the front screen. That's a huge plus when you have little kids who can't control it themselves.

Anyways, just a few thoughts.

Jeff

XZLR8
07-19-2009, 05:50 PM
I think the new XJ's interior is nice looking, but that blacked out C-pillar... not sure what's going on there.

lsleelee
07-26-2009, 12:46 AM
I recently saw the new 7 in person for the first time and it looks a million times cooler than I was expecting, but I think the new XJ has the best looking front end in the segment by a wide margin so I'll be waiting to see it in person.

It's worth noting for those that haven't looked into the XJ too much that the picture in this thread is by far the worst color/wood combination available.

http://www.netcarshow.com/jaguar/2010-xj/800x600/wallpaper_29.htm
http://www.netcarshow.com/jaguar/2010-xj/800x600/wallpaper_2a.htm
http://assets.config.jaguar.com/jag/us/cj/jscql01b/int_us_cj_jscql01b_cjalb_a-trplux3_vsan.jpg

I think the new XJ's interior is nice looking, but that blacked out C-pillar... not sure what's going on there.

It looked strange to me too when I saw the official photos, but when I saw video of the thing on the road...it worked.