PDA

View Full Version : Cluster Illumination Change

David Mc
07-12-2009, 03:53 AM
I was fed up with the dull red standard cluster lighting in my E21, so I installed some custom made white 5-chip LEDS and swapped the standard red filters for white ones.
This is a photo of the result, which I am very happy with as it now matches my VDO accessory gauges. 192962

dictator
07-25-2009, 04:49 PM
did you also remove the amber filters?

im wanting to get the lights upgraded but a set i used in my trunk was like $15 and i am looking for something cheaper. where did you get yours?

David Mc
07-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Yes, I removed the amber filters, it was easy, I just cut the securing studs with a sharp wood chisel and glue the new translucent filters in place. I made the filters myself from a plastic milk container (as common as dirt out here), which appears to be similar in thickness and material properties to the original amber set and has excellent light diffusion properties. I am happy to carve up a couple of containers and send you some plastic to work with if you want to try the mod.

77 320i
11-11-2009, 12:53 AM
ok so perhaps its a language barrier thing...perhaps i am just slow...did you remove the dash to install these lights? are the light "seated" behind the plastic shield that protects the instruments? let me know...thanks!

btw: i love the look!

David Mc
12-17-2009, 02:58 AM
I removed only the instrument cluster to perform the mod.. The bulb holders for the dash illumination lights are fixed inside the dash housing, above cutouts in the top of the cluster which are fitted with the amber coloured filters.