PDA

View Full Version : At what min. brake-pad depth will BMW replace?

David Keogh
08-19-2003, 01:14 PM
For those of you who had BMW change their brake pads as part of the three-year service period, at what minimum pad depth did they agree to change them?

The HACK
08-19-2003, 01:24 PM
For those of you who had BMW change their brake pads as part of the three-year service period, at what minimum pad depth did they agree to change them?

When the light come on.

Mathew
08-19-2003, 01:27 PM
isn't it 3mm?

David Keogh
08-19-2003, 01:36 PM
isn't it 3mm?

Yes, I ended up asking my dealership. 3mm.

Guest84
08-19-2003, 04:27 PM
When the light come on.

Is there a reason they call them idiot lights? :p :angel:

Kaz
08-19-2003, 07:28 PM
My fronts were real close to lighting em up (and the rears weren't even close) but the dealers replaced all 4 (and rotors) at Inspection I on request.

SARAFIL
08-19-2003, 07:34 PM
My fronts were real close to lighting em up (and the rears weren't even close) but the dealers replaced all 4 (and rotors) at Inspection I on request.

There's a BMWNA warranty audit waiting to happen... They sure aren't pretty, from what I've heard.

Kaz
08-19-2003, 07:41 PM
There's a BMWNA warranty audit waiting to happen... They sure aren't pretty, from what I've heard.

What's the problem with this? The rears being replaced?

The front pads were definitely gone, and the rotors were below min. thickness as well (I measured em a while back).

Sergio put new rear pads in on Saturday, and they were maybe 2mm at best and the sensor wasn't broken.

Oh, when I asked em to replace the brakes, I only asked about the fronts, because I knew the rears were still fine. I only knew they replaced all 4 when I picked up the car.

Mathew
08-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Sergio put new rear pads in on Saturday, and they were maybe 2mm at best and the sensor wasn't broken.

Other than taking the wheels off and using a ruler, is there any way to measure the pad thickness? I'm still surprised my brake light hasn't gone off, so now I'm wondering if they actually are below 3mm, with the sensor still intact.

Kaz
08-19-2003, 07:52 PM
Other than taking the wheels off and using a ruler, is there any way to measure the pad thickness? I'm still surprised my brake light hasn't gone off, so now I'm wondering if they actually are below 3mm, with the sensor still intact.

There's some tool that BMW uses, but it looks like a funky version of a needle-type studfinder. But since inner pads are typically a bit more worn, you're gonna have to take the wheel off anyhow to get to them.