PDA

View Full Version : The TRUE joy a BMW brings.

mbr129
08-20-2003, 11:07 AM
I am in a ProE training class (have been for three days) and I have a break, so here is what I have to say about my weekend experience at the Boston Chapter AutoX.

Fellow 'fester LarryN was kind enough to bring me along on runs 3 and 4 at the Autox course and all I have to say is WOW! :yikes: :D :thumbup:

First of all... Larry, you did a hell of a job. What a car, what a rush. It was simply awesome. I had no idea a 3er could do what it did. I felt so inexperienced, so humbled... But so glad I own one myself. :D

I am going to go to every event I can possibly attend so I can get lots experience and eventually enjoy the pleasure of driving the ZHP all-out.

After this weekend, every turn seems boring, and have a true appreciation for REAL driving. I know now why you guys can't wait to get out there again.

Thanks to all the other members at the Autox that made me feel so comfortable. Thanks Spacemonkey for the helmet! I'll be getting one soon.

To those you who think they own the ultimate driving machine but have never experienced it, you don't know what you are missing. :tsk:

On a side note... I am glad I didn't join in on Larrys first run... He had a pretty awesome-looking 360 spin! :eek: :D I'll bring my fiancee and my MiniDV camcorder to catch any of those in the future. :thumbup:
Can't wait to see you guys out there again.

in_d_haus
08-20-2003, 11:18 AM
First of all... Larry, you did a hell of a job. What a car, what a rush. It was simply awesome. I had no idea a 3er could do what it did. I felt so inexperienced, so humbled... But so glad I own one myself. :D

See why Myself, HACK, Raffi, and others are such big proponents of taking driving schools? Most (all) drivers who have not taken some sort of performance driving school (or like training) are not capable of driving these vehicles to their limits. It is a long road, even after taking a class, to hone your skills to that level, for most it takes years.
and many miles on a track with instruction.

The capability of a "simple" 325 is beyond most drivers. I could keep up with, and pass, many more competant cars when the driver was not as skilled (love to eat the Porsches!)

That is why our club is fairly aggressive about getting our members out to one (or more) of our schools.

mbr129
08-20-2003, 11:27 AM
See why Myself, HACK, Raffi, and others are such big proponents of taking driving schools? Most (all) drivers who have not taken some sort of performance driving school (or like training) are not capable of driving these vehicles to their limits. It is a long road, even after taking a class, to hone your skills to that level, for most it takes years.
and many miles on a track with instruction.

The capability of a "simple" 325 is beyond most drivers. I could keep up with, and pass, many more competant cars when the driver was not as skilled (love to eat the Porsches!)

That is why our club is fairly aggressive about getting our members out to one (or more) of our schools.

I agree. I know it will take me a LONG time before I could do what LarryN did. I went there just to take a look. I will go to a driving school first before doign the upcomming AutoX's.

The HACK
08-20-2003, 11:34 AM
It's weird. Those people who's never driven in a driving event just simply can't comprehend why anyone would spend $$$ to go drive around in a big circle. Then you get them on the track driving or riding a few times and then their entire outlook changes.

Those of you who owns a BMW and belong to the club, you're missing out on a lot of what your car is capable of and also a lot of what happens at club events, the friendship you develope, the commaraderies, and the soul of why the BMWCCA was created. If anything, take a weekend off from your busy schedule and just go to one of the local events to volunteer or just spectate.

in_d_haus
08-20-2003, 11:40 AM
We give rides at our events (Instructors only) The last person I gave a ride to nearly threw up :eeps: :D

Dale Pickle
08-20-2003, 12:31 PM
I agree. I know it will take me a LONG time before I could do what LarryN did. I went there just to take a look. I will go to a driving school first before doign the upcomming AutoX's.

I'll have to meet up with you guys for one of these things if I ever get my car.

WAM
08-20-2003, 12:37 PM
It's weird. Those people who's never driven in a driving event just simply can't comprehend why anyone would spend $$$ to go drive around in a big circle. Then you get them on the track driving or riding a few times and then their entire outlook changes.

I can relate to that, its like taking somebody out to the shooting range. They have so much fun, that they forget that they were anti-gun!

I have got to find time to go on a car control clinic or something soon!

Raffi
08-20-2003, 12:52 PM
We give rides at our events (Instructors only) The last person I gave a ride to nearly threw up :eeps: :D

:rofl: :rofl:

Raffi
08-20-2003, 12:53 PM

Those of you who owns a BMW and belong to the club, you're missing out on a lot of what your car is capable of and also a lot of what happens at club events, the friendship you develope, the commaraderies, and the soul of why the BMWCCA was created. If anything, take a weekend off from your busy schedule and just go to one of the local events to volunteer or just spectate.

We now need to corrupt Kaz into attending track events... :bigpimp: :D :angel:

doeboy
08-20-2003, 01:25 PM

:eeps: :eeps: :eeps:

pdz
08-20-2003, 01:47 PM

yeah.

kaz could use some corrupting.

going to any sort of controlled driving environment, be it autoX or the track, it just gives you a sense of sanity.

i mean, offramps and onramps are still fun, but it puts things into perspective.

it's great.

get the ZHP out there, MBR!

Raffi
08-20-2003, 03:38 PM
:eeps: :eeps: :eeps:

We CAN do it - we just need to take him to one event, even if he only gets rides, and he'll be hooked! :D

The HACK
08-20-2003, 03:43 PM
We CAN do it - we just need to take him to one event, even if he only gets rides, and he'll be hooked! :D

Worked for me. :eeps:

FrenchBoy
08-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Hello mbr129,

I briefly met you at last autocross event. It's good to see that you are excited about participating to the couple of events remaining this year. It is a lot of fun.

I work for PTC and I am a member of the team responsible for the definition and design of Pro/ENGINEER, so I am also happy to hear that you are an avid Pro/ENGINEER user...
You mentioned that you were taking a Pro/E class. Was that for the Wildfire release? Did you come to the PTC HQ in Needham?

FrenchBoy

mbr129
08-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Hello mbr129,

I briefly met you at last autocross event. It's good to see that you are excited about participating to the couple of events remaining this year. It is a lot of fun.

I work for PTC and I am a member of the team responsible for the definition and design of Pro/ENGINEER, so I am also happy to hear that you are an avid Pro/ENGINEER user...
You mentioned that you were taking a Pro/E class. Was that for the Wildfire release? Did you come to the PTC HQ in Needham?

FrenchBoy

Hi,

I took the class at one of our own training buildings in Milford. The class was designing with surfaces (maybe now I'll design my own BMW so they don't look like crap :tsk: :D ).

I have been to the Needham site before for ProDiagram/ProCabling.

We will train for wildfire in the future, but the guy was nice enough to give us a preview... looks good. Will have to get used to the mouse though.

FrenchBoy
08-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Great. I guess your company must be pretty big to get on-site training.

I am happy to hear that you like the little bit of Wildfire that you saw. It has been a lot of work but the results are gratifying.

FrenchBoy