PDA

View Full Version : SoCal'ers and Vehicle Registration Fee

car_for_mom
08-21-2003, 11:50 AM
To any residents of The State Where Everyone And Their Grandmother Is Running For Governor And I'm Voting To Recall The Current Governor's Butt (and the rest of him, also!) :p :

Have any of you received the tripled Vehicle License Fee (er, tax)? How much are you paying?

Karl Bimmer's registration is due in December, and I'm wondering how much I need to plan for - I'm thinking possibly $1,500 :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: , based on 2% of $25,000 ($500), then times 3...

The HACK
08-21-2003, 11:55 AM
To any residents of The State Where Everyone And Their Grandmother Is Running For Governor And I'm Voting To Recall The Current Governor's Butt (and the rest of him, also!) :p :

Have any of you received the tripled Vehicle License Fee (er, tax)? How much are you paying?

Karl Bimmer's registration is due in December, and I'm wondering how much I need to plan for - I'm thinking possibly $1,500 :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: , based on 2% of $25,000 ($500), then times 3...

:yikes: :yikes:

I just registered my wife's car two weeks ago and it was ~$400 I think. :dunno:

Kaz
08-21-2003, 12:13 PM

No, it should be the 2%. The 'old' fee was something like 0.75%. Remember, the VLF is only going back up to where it was since 1948. Technically, that actually never changed. A "rebate" called the VLF Offset is what is disappearing (check your new DMV statement against ones from the last 2 or 3 years).

Cliff
08-21-2003, 12:15 PM

No, it's 2% of the depreciated value of the car (straight line depreciation I think, but I don't know the percentages). The offset reduced the VLF by 67.5% from 2% to 0.65% a few years ago.

Kaz
08-21-2003, 12:18 PM
No, it's 2% of the depreciated value of the car (straight line depreciation I think, but I don't know the percentages). The offset reduced the VLF by 67.5% from 2% to 0.65% a few years ago.

You have the correct numbers, of course.

In fact, in the 50+ years since the VLF was introduced, the only things that have ever changed was the depreciation schedule a long time ago, and the offset. And remember the VLF is still tax deductible.

beemer4me
08-21-2003, 01:27 PM
...how much I need to plan for - I'm thinking possibly $1,500 :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: , based on 2% of $25,000 ($500), then times 3...

The amount of the new fees will be 2% of the value of the vehicle. You valuate your vehicle by depreciating 10% per year from new or the used vehicle purchase price (it levels out after 10 years). And yes, anyone is going to better than the yo-yo in Sacramento.

numbersguy
08-21-2003, 01:49 PM
The amount of the new fees will be 2% of the value of the vehicle. You valuate your vehicle by depreciating 10% per year from new or the used vehicle purchase price (it levels out after 10 years). And yes, anyone is going to better than the yo-yo in Sacramento.

I'm looking at the renewal notice on my leased 2001 Ford Expedition. The VLF is $475 and the registration and other fees get it up to $517 to re-register this vehicle. The depreciation allowance is ridiculous. I'm turning the vehicle in when the current registration expires in October and the remaining cap cost at that time will be about $18,500 which will be its approximate retail value. DMV wants to tax this vehicle as if it is worth 24K. These guys are crooks!

Fisch330ciTB
08-22-2003, 01:27 AM
My 2001 I bought in september, so this next registration due in sept still falls under the old rates. While it's a bummer to pay, I can afford the new rates, but I'm thinking this is going to kill the lower income families, that already run the ragged edge. More and more unregistered cars and uninsured motorists...great. Taxes are inevitable, but this is one that needs to be looked at very carefully. I say car's under 20g's stay at the present rates is a good place to start. Car's over 80g's go to triple, and everyone in the middle get's the average. I'm an artist so if my math is wonky...F you. :D

Artslinger
08-22-2003, 05:25 AM
The VLF is $475 and the registration and other fees get it up to $517 to re-register this vehicle.

$517... holy sh!t.

The Feds cut taxes and the States raise taxes... the smoke and mirrors of our Washington bureaucrats... bend over.

beemer4me
08-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Let me just preface this by saying I DO NOT, and NEVER did SUPPORT the current chowderhead who is being recalled. With that said...

Let's not forget, for those of us who have lived in the great state of California for longer than the dot com bubble, that we did pay some pretty exorbitent license fees prior to the VLF reduction in 1998. I remember a time when fees were that high and we were resigned to the fact that we had to pay it. It was great that the fees were lowered and under the right circumstance, I would support the fee increase. However, in the current case, I oppose it because this financial situation could have been avoided if some people in Sacto just learned to save some for a rainy day and stop spending money they don't have!

SupraRZ
08-22-2003, 08:32 PM
I paid $5xx for registration on my new X5 last week. Does that mean I have to pay over $1000 next august? I'm voting yes on recall, not sure which candidate will roll that back. Since vehicle tax affects me the most, I'm going with whoever that gives us a better price :)

SONET
08-22-2003, 08:49 PM
I haven't seen it in this thread so I thought I would add, the VLF offset will not apply to vehicles registered in the month of October. So if you have an October+ car you will pay full price, even if you try to avoid it by paying early. :nono: I was at the DMV today and read about it while I was waiting.

--SONET

numbersguy
08-22-2003, 09:01 PM
I paid $5xx for registration on my new X5 last week. Does that mean I have to pay over $1000 next august? I'm voting yes on recall, not sure which candidate will roll that back. Since vehicle tax affects me the most, I'm going with whoever that gives us a better price :)

Your VLF next time will be 2% of the depreciated value of your X5. That is, 2% of 90% of the original value of your X5 because they knock off 10% for depreciation each year.

SupraRZ
08-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Your VLF next time will be 2% of the depreciated value of your X5. That is, 2% of 90% of the original value of your X5 because they knock off 10% for depreciation each year.

If my X5 was $55000, then 10% depreciated value is $5500... Which comes out to $49500...

2% of $49500 is $990... So I have to pay $990? WTF! That's like adding $100 a month to my lease! :mad:

SONET
08-22-2003, 09:25 PM
2% of $49500 is $990...
It will be a little more than that because the registration fee consists of more than just the VLF. But the others are relatively insignificant, so yeah that's close.

--SONET

Kaz
08-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Can someone with a E36 or E39 or something that has their DMV statements back to ~97-98 dig them all out between then and now, and scan/post them? I'm sick of people complaining about this being a 'new tax' or somecrap.

I don't have my 99 statement for some reason, but I paid $20 MORE in '98 to register my then-5-year-old Mitsubishi than I paid in '02 on my bimmer...

You wan't 'the good 'ol days back?' You've got it.

Brian Randell
08-23-2003, 04:52 AM
If my X5 was $55000, then 10% depreciated value is $5500... Which comes out to $49500...

2% of $49500 is $990... So I have to pay $990? WTF! That's like adding $100 a month to my lease! :mad:

Can't wait to see my M5 renewal in January. :thumbdwn:

Cheers,

Brian

SupraRZ
08-23-2003, 12:05 PM
Can't wait to see my M5 renewal in January. :thumbdwn:

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: