PDA

View Full Version : Why do Cabriolets cost more than Coupes ?

Alex Baumann
08-21-2003, 04:00 PM
Actually, they are selling a car with *less* material, but they somehow cost more. Why ?

I know they have some modifications on the chassis, but does it justify the more costs ? :dunno:

The base price of a 330ci in Germany is 36.600 EUR, the 330cic costs 41.850 EUR on the other hand. This is like a $6000 difference.

:dunno:

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Lower volume and the funky top contraption. Not to mention chassis reinforcements and additional warranty exposure.

Plus people will pay it. One of our realtors just biught himself a Black/Nat 325Cic 5spd SP. Nice car. :)

Alex Baumann
08-21-2003, 04:05 PM
Additional warranty exposure ? Not here.

Mr. Sparkle
08-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Because people are stupid enough to pay for them. :eeps:

Alex Baumann
08-21-2003, 04:12 PM

If you had the option (ie a Z4 coupe and cheaper), would you prefer it over the roadster ? (OK, you are the wrong person to ask this question, since the weather sucks where you live :D )

bimmerpunk
08-21-2003, 04:15 PM
If you had the option (ie a Z4 coupe and cheaper), would you prefer it over the roadster ? (OK, you are the wrong person to ask this question, since the weather sucks where you live :D )

I would take the coupe, assuming they integrate the hard top well.

another question is why are the coupes roughly $1000 more than the sedans (on base price)

The HACK
08-21-2003, 04:16 PM
a) MORE material goes into making a convertible, not less. Convertibles almost always weight more than their coupe/sedan counterpart.

b) Why do people pay more for a jacked up 5 series wagon (X5 SUV) that carries less and weighs more? Why do people pay more for anything. :dunno:

c) This is a bit more related to point b. but convertibles are produced in a much smaller volume than coupes and sedans. You can't possibly expect to set the same price point on the 'verts and expect to be able to meet demand.

bbkat
08-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Because they're cooler :p

I personally prefer the extra seats...just in case the opportunity to pick up more than one hottie at a time presents itself :D

Mathew
08-21-2003, 04:22 PM
ditto

Mr. Sparkle
08-21-2003, 04:29 PM

You're right, I am the wrong person to ask.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Additional warranty exposure ? Not here.
You mean the tops don't ever break?

HW
08-21-2003, 06:09 PM
another question is why are the coupes roughly $1000 more than the sedans (on base price)

usually the coupe has more std features. alu window trim, sport suspension ... and some other tid bits. when i did the analysis a few years back, the coupe was actually cheaper after factoring in the extra std features at retail/msrp.

tgravo2
08-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Because they're cooler :p

I personally prefer the extra seats...just in case the opportunity to pick up more than one hottie at a time presents itself :D

how does the ci have more seats than the cic :confused:

Kaz
08-21-2003, 06:41 PM
I don't buy the volume thing. Even globally, I don't think convertibles sell fewer than wagons.

Top mechanisms are expensive to design, build, and install, and when a car is originally conceived as a coupe (unlike say a Z3) there is a lot of re-engineering that needs to be done.

And, like everyone has said, people will pay it.

bbkat
08-21-2003, 06:46 PM
response to the roadster vs cic question (HACK got in the way!)

Cowboy Bebop
08-21-2003, 10:44 PM
think of it like many other products, you pay by the pound, and the Cab is HEAVY, so the extra cost is justified!

tommyd
08-22-2003, 01:38 AM
:stickpoke
:bang:
:throw:
:flame:
:violent:

:D

Fuzzypuppy
08-22-2003, 11:41 AM
I don't buy the volume thing. Even globally, I don't think convertibles sell fewer than wagons.

Almost half the M3s sold in the US are cabrios :)

Lonni24
08-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Convertibles have more material in this case.

And they are Status Symbol, sorry i dont know the English word for it but Alex understands it. ;)

The Roadstergal
08-22-2003, 12:28 PM
And they are Status Symbol, sorry i dont know the English word for it but Alex understands it. ;)

I think the English word is "status symbol." :eeps:

But roadsters are cooler.

Lonni24
08-22-2003, 12:32 PM

Roadsters are cool.

But the coolest is E-30 cabrio :D

Bruce128iC
08-22-2003, 12:35 PM

:bustingup

Bruce128iC
08-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Roadsters may be "cooler" but the cic is much more useful and it's a damn sexy beast! :D

tommyd
08-22-2003, 12:36 PM

:bustingup :bustingup :bustingup

tommyd
08-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Roadsters may be "cooler" but the cic is much more useful and it's a damn sexy beast! :D

Then I'M a damn sexy beast IN a damn sexy beast!
bwaaahahahah!!

:eeps: :bigpimp:

EZ
08-22-2003, 01:16 PM
a) MORE material goes into making a convertible, not less. Convertibles almost always weight more than their coupe/sedan counterpart.

Still convertibles are more expensive than coups: $12.06/lb versus $11.05/lb, respectibly. (MSRP with no options)

tgravo2
08-22-2003, 02:30 PM
If I wanted a convertible, it would just to be to cruise around, so I would probably buy a 325cic. I wouldn't buy an M3 cabrio. If I had the money I would just get the cic and the M3 coupe, and use the M3 how it should be used. The weight of the cabrio really takes a lot of performance away from the M3.

The Roadstergal
08-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Then get the S54 M roadster... with a rollbar to stiffen it up, it's still lighter than the M3 coupe. :)

The gas mileage stinks, though. Ya pay for fun.

Lonni24
12-15-2003, 09:47 AM
My car from the window.

jtg
12-15-2003, 09:56 AM
I could be wrong, but i think BMW charges alot more for the cabrio the coupes when compared to other car makers (on a percentage of cost based on the cabrio/coupe price)

Wingboot
12-15-2003, 10:19 AM
You mean the tops don't ever break?

Only 1 year warranty in Germany

Cliff
12-15-2003, 10:39 AM
c) This is a bit more related to point b. but convertibles are produced in a much smaller volume than coupes and sedans. You can't possibly expect to set the same price point on the 'verts and expect to be able to meet demand.

Sedans, yes, but I'm fairly sure that cabs outsell coupes in the US market, at least.

ChadS
12-15-2003, 11:27 AM

cic = seating for 4
ci = seating for 5

Dincic
12-15-2003, 05:54 PM
The vert has a few more engineered parts than the coupe. Reinforced windshield pillars, Rollover Protection System, rear headrests, seat integrated safety belts, neon center brake light and of course softtop with magnesium tonneau cover. By the way, does the coupe also have 2x speed seat movement with memory for back seat egress?

bluer1
12-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Actually, they are selling a car with *less* material, but they somehow cost more. Why ?

I know they have some modifications on the chassis, but does it justify the more costs ? :dunno:

The base price of a 330ci in Germany is 36.600 EUR, the 330cic costs 41.850 EUR on the other hand. This is like a $6000 difference.

Price a Baum instead?

doeboy
12-15-2003, 07:54 PM
By the way, does the coupe also have 2x speed seat movement with memory for back seat egress?

It does not. :( But sometimes I wish those buttons were there. The power seats don't move fast enough for that.

otto325ci
12-16-2003, 04:19 PM

I'd say it's because it's a luxury item option. just like you pay 1400.00 or whatever for a sunroof, If you want the whole top to come down then the price is 5G's. Those who really want it will pay it. Thats why there are fewer in production.

andy_thomas
12-18-2003, 08:40 AM

Top mechanisms are expensive to design, build, and install, and when a car is originally conceived as a coupe (unlike say a Z3) there is a lot of re-engineering that needs to be done.

And, like everyone has said, people will pay it.

Touring production is considerably higher than convertible. Look around LA and you'll be convinced that convertibles outnumber tourings 100 to 1. Look around Germany, France, Holland etc. and you'll wonder if BMW makes a convertible at all.

yamato
12-18-2003, 09:43 AM
i think besides the extra mechanical parts in a cab, there may be some redesign in the body structure for safety. It's like an egg shell, it can withstand a lot of force. But if half of shell it is removed, it becomes very weak from every direction a force is applied.

numbersguy
12-19-2003, 06:03 AM
"Because they are cooler."

"Because people are stupid enough to pay for them."

To an economist both of these statements mean exactly the same thing. They mean that people who want convertibles place a greater value on them than on an equivalent coupe. It's called "price discrimination" and the idea, from the seller's point of view, is not to leave any of the buyer's money on the table. "Extracting the consumer surplus" is how they put it.

It isn't stupid to buy a convertible, unless you decide after the first week that you wish you had bought a coupe instead.

HW
12-19-2003, 01:02 PM
i think besides the extra mechanical parts in a cab, there may be some redesign in the body structure for safety. It's like an egg shell, it can withstand a lot of force. But if half of shell it is removed, it becomes very weak from every direction a force is applied.

yep, the windshield/A-pillars has to be able to support the weight of the car in a rollerover. same with all 'verts out there. plus add the extra bars that pop out on a rollover.