PDA

View Full Version : Rear Camera

john
08-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Not sure if this is available world-wide but BMW Australia now offers a "dealer fit accessory" of a rear camera for 3, 5, 7 and X5. It retails for $AUD 1350 (about $USD 880) fitted, assuming you have TV and/or SAT NAV. Basically it fits into where the trunk handle/release is and comes on to the monitor whenever you select reverse. (Just like the kerbside mirror tilts down.) I had it fitted last week and it works a treat. It automatically adjusts for light levels and works well in the night or bright sunshine. Very handy for not backing into those stupid 2 foot high guard rails or posts you can never see when backing up, not to mention the safety aspect of kids behind vehicles. Even thought it is expensive, it works great and it is such a great installation you don't notice it from behind. No matter what is on your OBM when you select reverse, it pops up on the screen and stays on for a few seconds once you leave reverse. (great if you are doing a bit of backwards and forwards into a spot).

Maverick88
08-21-2003, 11:48 PM
Not sure if this is available world-wide but BMW Australia now offers a "dealer fit accessory" of a rear camera for 3, 5, 7 and X5. It retails for $AUD 1350 (about $USD 880) fitted, assuming you have TV and/or SAT NAV. Basically it fits into where the trunk handle/release is and comes on to the monitor whenever you select reverse. (Just like the kerbside mirror tilts down.) I had it fitted last week and it works a treat. It automatically adjusts for light levels and works well in the night or bright sunshine. Very handy for not backing into those stupid 2 foot high guard rails or posts you can never see when backing up, not to mention the safety aspect of kids behind vehicles. Even thought it is expensive, it works great and it is such a great installation you don't notice it from behind. No matter what is on your OBM when you select reverse, it pops up on the screen and stays on for a few seconds once you leave reverse. (great if you are doing a bit of backwards and forwards into a spot).

:mad:

This is the exact thing I have been searching for, but I am in the United States and I don't have NAV.

:(

js19707
08-22-2003, 12:33 AM
do you have a part number?

Artslinger
08-22-2003, 05:28 AM
Cool... now maybe the f'n SUV drivers can parallel park without hit my bumpers.

Bob330Ci
08-22-2003, 06:08 AM
Can you still release the trunk from there?

B.

Alex Baumann
08-22-2003, 06:16 AM
Threads on the 3-Series and General Board merged.

Tanning machine
08-22-2003, 07:13 AM
Not sure if this is available world-wide but BMW Australia now offers a "dealer fit accessory" of a rear camera for 3, 5, 7 and X5. It retails for $AUD 1350 (about $USD 880) fitted, assuming you have TV and/or SAT NAV.

Interesting. The price compares favorably to PDC, especially since this seems much better at showing you what's behind. A beep could be anything.

Tanning machine
08-22-2003, 07:18 AM
There is a factory option parking distance control which uses utrasonic sensors in the rear bumper. Beeping becomes faster as your bumper approaches an object, and turns into a constant beep when the bumper is less than 12" away. This option is not popular, and why it is only available with the i and the xi, I don't know. Maybe ci and cic drivers don't have kids or they don't back up?

Huh? PDC was an option for my cic, although I chose not to get it. I just make sure I know what I'm backing up into.

tool119
08-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Must be a misprint - I just ordered a 330cic w/PDC a few weeks ago.

HW
08-22-2003, 11:50 AM
if jon was still at cutter, he'd let us know of this new option by taking pix of his (or someone's) :bareass: w/ it. :eek: :rofl:

Kaz
08-22-2003, 12:00 PM
PDC is available on ALL 330 models, but only on 325 Tourings until SOP 05/03, when it became available on all 325 models.

Freaky_Monkey
08-22-2003, 12:49 PM
Interesting. The price compares favorably to PDC, especially since this seems much better at showing you what's behind. A beep could be anything.
Favorable... if you have sat-nav at $2k+! Wheras PDC on its own is probably less than $500. (Of course, UK cars come standard with PDC!)

Cliff
08-22-2003, 01:08 PM
There is a factory option parking distance control which uses utrasonic sensors in the rear bumper. Beeping becomes faster as your bumper approaches an object, and turns into a constant beep when the bumper is less than 12" away. This option is not popular, and why it is only available with the i and the xi, I don't know. Maybe ci and cic drivers don't have kids or they don't back up?

You're right that it's not a popular option, but I have it on my 330Ci. I think it's a darned useful option.

picture of butt end of PDC equipped Ci (http://www.coates3.com/gallery/album03/11242002_6a)

tgravo2
08-22-2003, 02:37 PM
awesome, this should be an option when buying, it should be part of the NAV package :D

Terry Kennedy
08-22-2003, 03:28 PM
awesome, this should be an option when buying, it should be part of the NAV package :DThe reverse camera input connects to the TV tuner module. So unless BMW wants to start selling the TV option here, you won't see it as an official option. Also, the TV tuner is incompatible with the CPT8000 phone in the wagons (both options want to mount in the same place, but only one will fit).

Maverick
08-22-2003, 05:26 PM

Brilliant for parking, sometime parktronic will not pick up lower objects. Hope they bring this out in USA, otherwise might have to go home to get my next bimmer!

Maverick
08-22-2003, 05:29 PM
They should also have those small license plates here in the States. So much better than the big ones and CA could make some money seeing we are in so much debt! :(

john
08-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Just in reply to a few questions.
1. Sorry I don't have a part number. You could go to BMW Australia's webiste and click on Contact Us. http://www.bmw.com.au/index2.html
2. Yes you can still release the boot. The unit replaces the rubber switch with a button like switch you can just see on the right hand side of the camera in the photo. Sorry the close up is a bit out of focus.
3. Park Distance Control PDC comes standard on the 330 Ci in Australia.
4. TV also comes standard on the 330 Ci in Australia. Don't worry the cost certainly rfelects these things!
5. You end up using the PDC, the camera and turning your head and looking. It all helps to know what's going on back there. The camera is especially good in rain at night when it is sometimes hard to see out the back window. The camera is pretty well sheltered. under the boot handle lip.
6. Yeh the "slim line" plates are an option in the state of Victoria (and many other Aussie states) NSW even has longer European look plates which are great. The thing I like is on the front, there is no obscuring the silver grill below the bumper bar. I've seen your Californian plates and they seem to cover up so much of the front of the car.

beware_phog
08-24-2003, 05:59 PM

I have an 04 330Cic that has parking distance control. Love it.

tgravo2
08-24-2003, 07:45 PM
I have an 04 330Cic that has parking distance control. Love it.

I think it's one of the most useful options on any vehicle, especially when trying to parallel park an SUV :eeps:

bls
08-26-2003, 09:19 AM
this seems much better at showing you what's behind. A beep could be anything.

A beep could be anything, but how many things do you want to back into anyway?