PDA

View Full Version : 750i vs 750Li

timhutter@sbcgl
07-30-2009, 07:30 PM
My lease on my present 750i comes up next month and not having the foresight to special order or the time to do an ED, I am relegated to leasing a new 750 off someone's lot. That said, does anyone have any input as to whether I should go with the long wheel base or not? Other than the additional cost, slightly less performance/gas mileage and more room(I rarely have anyone in the back seat) is there an opinion with respect to asthetics? Anyone prefer the lines on the L over the i?

freshwhite335
07-30-2009, 09:52 PM
short ftw

XZLR8
07-31-2009, 04:30 AM
Maybe I am just partial to the Sport Package in general, but I think either car with the Sport Package (specifically, the Shadowline trim) looks good. In some colors especially, I think LWB cars without the Sport Package just have way too much chrome. Then again, I always get SWB Sports, so maybe it's just my own bias.

hayden
07-31-2009, 08:05 AM
I guess I've got to speak up for the LWB. Threre, done. :D

The real questions is - why are you asking? :dunno: Don't worry about what board posters think... this is totally personal preference. Take a good look at both and decide which one you like better.

XZLR8
07-31-2009, 08:44 AM
I guess I've got to speak up for the LWB. Threre, done. :D

The real questions is - why are you asking? :dunno: Don't worry about what board posters think... this is totally personal preference. Take a good look at both and decide which one you like better.
Agreed. Although I'd recommend driving both, too, as opposed to just focusing on the aesthetics. I think they handle a bit differently.

550isport
08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Agreed. Although I'd recommend driving both, too, as opposed to just focusing on the aesthetics. I think they handle a bit differently.

+1 the short and long 7s have always driven a little differently with the short being more athletic. But also, personally I think they convey a different message about the driver. I see an i and think, there is a driver who takes the long way home, whereas the long wheel base driver is often older and seemingly wanted a pure luxury car with just a dash of performance. Someone who really prizes comfort.

MY2C

XZLR8
08-04-2009, 05:34 AM
+1 the short and long 7s have always driven a little differently with the short being more athletic. But also, personally I think they convey a different message about the driver. I see an i and think, there is a driver who takes the long way home, whereas the long wheel base driver is often older and seemingly wanted a pure luxury car with just a dash of performance. Someone who really prizes comfort.

MY2C
I've always wondered if getting the Sport Package on the LWB would help to make up some of that difference. Granted, I've only driven a limited number of 7ers -- E65/66 and F01/02 -- but it seems like most SWB cars have the Sport Package, while most LWB cars do not. Maybe that's because of the very thing you mention above.

hayden
08-04-2009, 06:53 AM
but it seems like most SWB cars have the Sport Package, while most LWB cars do not.

In Southern California most LWB F02's have the sport package on them. Upwards of 80%...

XZLR8
08-04-2009, 06:58 AM
In Southern California most LWB F02's have the sport package on them. Upwards of 80%...
Well, you're all nutty Californians...

:)

Seriously, though, I would imagine that adding the Sport Package to a LWB sedan would mitigate at least some of the handling deficit.

Side note: If I am recalling correctly, the SWB F01 is closer to the length of the LWB E66 than the SWB E65.

hayden
08-04-2009, 07:06 AM
It grew about an inch and half in length (but 3.2" in the wheelbase)

E65 Wheelbase (in): 117.7
E65 Overall Length (in): 198.4

E66 Wheelbase (in): 123.2
E66 Overall Length (in): 203.9

F01 Wheelbase (in): 120.9
F01 Overall Length (in): 199.8

F02 Wheelbase (in): 126.4
F02 Overall Length (in): 205.3

XZLR8
08-04-2009, 07:13 AM
It grew about an inch and half in length (but 3.2" in the wheelbase)

E65 Wheelbase (in): 117.7
E65 Overall Length (in): 198.4

E66 Wheelbase (in): 123.2
E66 Overall Length (in): 203.9

F01 Wheelbase (in): 120.9
F01 Overall Length (in): 199.8

F02 Wheelbase (in): 126.4
F02 Overall Length (in): 205.3
For some reason, I had it in my head that my E65 was 195" and some change overall. Not nearly the difference I thought, then. Thanks!

BnWBMW
08-06-2009, 01:43 AM
I've always wondered if getting the Sport Package on the LWB would help to make up some of that difference. Granted, I've only driven a limited number of 7ers -- E65/66 and F01/02 -- but it seems like most SWB cars have the Sport Package, while most LWB cars do not. Maybe that's because of the very thing you mention above.

Well it's like you got 5 grand to put on your car, LWB and Sport both cost around that much, which would you choose? I just started a thread about this in the E65 forum, I think I'll put a poll up too since it seems like an interesting conversation.

That being said, I think Li helps if you like to get freaky in the back :thumbup:

But even then, any 7 just has so much room that no one can really complain if you don't have an Li. My friends usually don't care to sit shotgun in my car actually, some actually prefer taking the back seat, and I don't even drive an Li. Other cars everyone fights for the shotgun seat haha.

Anyway, like I said, I'd stick to SWB man, got no complaints whatsoever

davidc1
08-08-2009, 06:22 PM
I never understood why anyone would get the 7 without LWB. If you are going for a SWB for sportyness, why wouldn't you just go for a 550 with sport package instead? I don't think there's much difference. You want the space in the LWB. I hear that with the new 7, SWB is almost a moot point.

XZLR8
08-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I never understood why anyone would get the 7 without LWB. If you are going for a SWB for sportyness, why wouldn't you just go for a 550 with sport package instead? I don't think there's much difference. You want the space in the LWB. I hear that with the new 7, SWB is almost a moot point.
Moot point, how so?

If I liked the 5 more, I probably would have gone for a 550i Sport. I'll be anxious to see/drive the redesigned 5 in a couple years when my forthcoming 7 lease is up.

hayden
08-08-2009, 08:11 PM

While I wouldn't prefer the SWB, I can certainly understand why people would. There is a big difference between the level of luxury and tech. in a 5 vs. a 7.

As you can see here (http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2009/07/2009-bmw-750i-four-place-bliss.html), even some car "professionals" see no reason for more legroom than the SWB provides.

XZLR8
08-08-2009, 09:21 PM
While I wouldn't prefer the SWB, I can certainly understand why people would. There is a big difference between the level of luxury and tech. in a 5 vs. a 7.
Yeah, that's a lot of it for me. (That, and I just never warmed to the headlights of the current 5.)

davidc1
08-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys. I am having a change of mind..sort of. I wonder if the new 750i is a bit roomier than the old. I remember looking at the older 750 and thought the leg room in back wasn't much more than a 5 series. I do feel like a limo driver sometimes when I am driving alone in a dark suit.

chrischeung
08-13-2009, 12:07 PM
There is a big difference between the level of luxury and tech. in a 5 vs. a 7.

Luxury yes - Tech no. I don't believe there is a significant performance, safety or tech item the E65 has that is exclusive to the E65. In fact, the E65 never got HUD and Sport Auto Transmission. Plus there are a slew of M car items that didn't make it to the 7er.

The issue is that with development costs being so significant, the only way BMW is able to recoup tech and performance expenditure is by amortization over multiple model lines.

hayden
08-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Luxury yes - Tech no. I don't believe there is a significant performance, safety or tech item the E65 has that is exclusive to the E65. In fact, the E65 never got HUD and Sport Auto Transmission. Plus there are a slew of M car items that didn't make it to the 7er.

We're talking about the F01/F02. The tech in those models is ofcourse superior to any other current BMW model.

Lugn
08-13-2009, 05:57 PM

MY2C

Now, wait a minute! :mad:

ProRail
08-13-2009, 06:18 PM
My lease on my present 750i comes up next month and not having the foresight to special order or the time to do an ED, I am relegated to leasing a new 750 off someone's lot. That said, does anyone have any input as to whether I should go with the long wheel base or not? Other than the additional cost, slightly less performance/gas mileage and more room(I rarely have anyone in the back seat) is there an opinion with respect to asthetics? Anyone prefer the lines on the L over the i?

Not a whole lot of difference, but if you ever carry other people whose opinion is important to you you might as well go for the long. It's a very impressive vehicle and it's definitely a Bimmer.

Spiroman
08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Not a whole lot of difference, but if you ever carry other people whose opinion is important to you you might as well go for the long. It's a very impressive vehicle and it's definitely a Bimmer.

I'm 6"3 so I push my seat back quite far - when I have rear seat passengers I want them to be comfortable even if they're tall like me.:beerchug:

Best regards.

Spiroman

chrischeung
08-14-2009, 12:42 AM
We're talking about the F01/F02. The tech in those models is ofcourse superior to any other current BMW model.

How about the 5 Series GT? Already on sale in Europe. http://www.bmwblog.com/docs/BMW_5_Series_GT.pdf

I also expect every tech item from the F01/02 to appear on the F10 next year, if not more.

chrischeung
11-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I also expect every tech item from the F01/02 to appear on the F10 next year, if not more.

I wish I was this right about the stock market...

BMW can't afford not to amortize tech over as many models as they can - development is getting more expensive - not cheaper. Who knows, perhaps the 2013 3er will be the tech leader in 2012?