PDA

View Full Version : Too funny. Typo in new BMW Magazine

Sean
08-22-2003, 05:35 PM
with the E60 on the front. Have a look at page 67 and see if you can find it. Big :nono:

Lomag
08-22-2003, 05:41 PM
God forbid! They called an M3 a beemer!!

AHHHHH. Fire the editor! :eeps:

LOL :D

doeboy
08-22-2003, 06:33 PM
I saw that too and was like :yikes: :confused:

I think it was the writer that the article was about that spelled it "Beemer". I have a feeling that the editors didn't want to correct him out of respect? :dunno:

Brian Randell
08-23-2003, 05:19 AM
I saw that too and was like :yikes: :confused:

I think it was the writer that the article was about that spelled it "Beemer". I have a feeling that the editors didn't want to correct him out of respect? :dunno:

I do a ton of writing for publication. Trust me editors always correct if they catch it. The live for this stuff. Respect has nothing to do with it (you should see some of the comments I get!).

Cheers,

Brian

GimpyMcFarlan
08-23-2003, 05:49 AM
The writer and editor probably both have "Beemer" and "Bimmer" in their word processor spell check program. :D

ObD
08-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Those are the authors words. Also amusing is the pic of the author and sons leaning against their cars.

remington
08-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Or perhaps not everyone is so fixated on the appropriate use of slang names for their cars. I realise that the bimmer/beamer/beemer debate makes for hours of endless discussion on this forum but I suspect many others don't really care.

PABS
08-26-2003, 07:01 AM
I've been a BMW owner since 1972 (2002 Touring). Back then there was no such thing as a "bimmer"...it was allways pronounced "beemer"

Furthermore a lot of peope also used the moniker "bimwah" probably in deference to the way a German might pronounce the letters perhaps.

Ultimately who cares, the magazine did not make a typo. Until such time as BMWUSA or BMWAG come out with some official notification it doesn't matter

You say potato I say pohtahtoh....

in_d_haus
08-26-2003, 07:12 AM
Hey even worse...at Bimmerfest the DJ kept calling it "Beemerfest".
We corrected the guy numerous times but one of the Cutter staff told him to call it Beemerfest...go figure :dunno:

tgravo2
08-26-2003, 09:17 AM
We corrected the guy numerous times but one of the Cutter staff told him to call it Beemerfest...go figure :dunno:

so you pronounce the site like bim, that rhymes with jim, or beem that rhymes with seem. I thought you pronounced it beemerfest but it's spelled bimmerfest :dunno:

Ya'll confused me :D

Emission
08-26-2003, 03:02 PM
I do a ton of writing for publication. Trust me editors always correct if they catch it. The live for this stuff. Respect has nothing to do with it (you should see some of the comments I get!).

Cheers,

Brian

I have to agree. People love to read my stories and find little things wrong (either a typo or my stupidity). This just slipped their eyes.

Plaz
08-26-2003, 03:06 PM

I think none other than Jon himself refers to it as "Beemerfest."

:GASP!!!:

Oh, the humanity!

:lmao:

(I mean really, who gives a flying F?)

Sean
08-26-2003, 03:18 PM
I thought as anal as some people are that this would be appreciated. I did find a little humor in it myself, but when we were little my brother and I called the beemers. :yikes:

flashinthepan
08-26-2003, 03:24 PM
I've been a BMW owner since 1972 (2002 Touring). Back then there was no such thing as a "bimmer"...it was allways pronounced "beemer"

It "IS" pronounced Beemer....Helloooooooo !!! Helloooooo !!!

But spelled "Bimmer".

Its hard teaching your Dads & Grandpa's these things....

:spank: :spank:

HaqDeluxe
08-26-2003, 04:56 PM
It "IS" pronounced Beemer....Helloooooooo !!! Helloooooo !!!

But spelled "Bimmer".

Its hard teaching your Dads & Grandpa's these things....

:spank: :spank:
Squeeze me! :yikes:

It's spoken.. like it's written.. BIMMER!

Traditionally, the Bavarian Motor Works product line has been referred to as:
Automobiles = “BIMMERS”
Motorcycles = “BEEMERS”

It was the “yuppies” of the 80’s that polluted this and obviously some of that pollution has stuck. Call them what ever you like but be ready for the snickers if you call a M3 a “Beemer” at a club event!

Should have never seen this in a BMW magazine and I’m betting there will be letters a plenty on it. I’ll also wager that the author sees it as an error! JMHO

flashinthepan
08-26-2003, 05:01 PM
Judges ruling please ????

:lmao:

Round here its given the "Beemer" pronunciation

spelled Bimmer...yes

Oh well....

(I do not know 1 person who says Bimmer like "dimmer" as in Dimmer switch..???)

doeboy
08-26-2003, 05:42 PM
ok, here's my official ruling:

NOBODY CARES!

You forgot your :rolleyes: smiley... :D

Sean
08-26-2003, 06:36 PM
I do not know 1 person who says Bimmer like "dimmer" as in Dimmer switch..???

I do and the majority are oldtimer CCA members.

To each his own however you pronounce it.

flashinthepan
08-26-2003, 06:45 PM
O.K. O.K.

:thumbup:

It all works with me..... :D

tgravo2
08-26-2003, 06:47 PM
I do and the majority are oldtimer CCA members.

To each his own however you pronounce it.

I'm sure there has to be a correct way.

Logically the only reason I pronounce it Beemer is because of the sound of the name Bee Em Double-you, so pronouncing the Bee, attatching the Em, and adding er just for a kind of an abbreviation. And say Beemer, but spell it Bimmer. I don't see how logically it could be pronounced bimmer :dunno:

:D

Plaz
08-26-2003, 07:07 PM
I'm sure there has to be a correct way.

Logically the only reason I pronounce it Beemer is because of the sound of the name Bee Em Double-you, so pronouncing the Bee, attatching the Em, and adding er just for a kind of an abbreviation. And say Beemer, but spell it Bimmer. I don't see how logically it could be pronounced bimmer :dunno:

But auf Deutsch it would be "Bay Em Vay." (I think) So shouldn't it be "Baymer?"

:rofl:

flashinthepan
08-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Pronunciation:

Bim-mer as in Dim-mer

Sounds dum-mer

:blah:

it should be pronounced Bee-mer

:mad:

tgravo2
08-26-2003, 07:59 PM
But auf Deutsch it would be "Bay Em Vay." (I think) So shouldn't it be "Baymer?"

:rofl:

Yes, but only in that language, it should be Baymer :D

chazzy
08-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Bimmer or Beemer?

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/reference/bimmer-beemer.asp

HaqDeluxe
08-27-2003, 08:11 AM
Bimmer or Beemer?

Ah Man... We don't have no time for the facts..
Were trying to have a stupid argument here!

Sean
08-27-2003, 08:30 AM
Bimmer or Beemer?

Well, there we go! Good enough for me. :thumbup:

I'm sorry I ever started this thread. :cry:

FormulaPro
08-27-2003, 01:14 PM
bimmer...like dimmer?

whoops ...I thought it was bye-mer! like in bi-plane!

derrr...jus kiddin! :rofl: :lmao:

dusterbuster
08-28-2003, 12:30 AM
boy, am i glad to finally see an explanation. i felt too dumb to ask if Bimmer was actually pronounced "BIM-mer" because i've never ever heard anyone pronounce it that way. i think people around here would look at me funny if i started pronouncing it "BIM-mer" instead of the more commonly pronounced "BEEM-mer," even if the former is technically more correct. :dunno:

Jay
08-28-2003, 09:37 AM
ok, here's my official ruling:

NOBODY CARES!

Thank God somebody finally wrote this.

Jay

berford
09-04-2003, 08:16 AM
with the E60 on the front. Have a look at page 67 and see if you can find it. Big :nono:

It also appears that way on page 5 (index of articles). So it's less likely to be an editor's oversight. Somebody should have caught it unless it was intentional. And after I've been conditioning friends and family to use "Bimmer"...Oh, well.

BTW, sorry I'm late to the party.

flashinthepan
09-04-2003, 09:03 AM
:sabrina: :fruit:

So...its pronounced both ways from what I am hearing.

I will continue to say Bee-mer

& if it upsets the "old school"

Oh well - get a life !!!! :D

berford
09-04-2003, 09:09 AM
:sabrina: :fruit:

So...its pronounced both ways from what I am hearing.

I will continue to say Bee-mer

& if it upsets the "old school"

Oh well - get a life !!!! :D

You'll definitely upset ppl. Bim is better...and definitive, unless you reduce your wheel count.

joshr
09-04-2003, 10:04 AM
oy vey, my head is spinning.

i think i'll just say "BMW" from now on.

berford
09-04-2003, 12:13 PM
oy vey, my head is spinning.

i think i'll just say "BMW" from now on.

EXLT! Confuse no one, including yourself.

...and if they ask what it means, tell them "Bayerische Motoren Werke." But be sure to pronounce it correctly.

doeboy
09-04-2003, 12:17 PM
EXLT! Confuse no one, including yourself.

...and if they ask what it means, tell them "Bayerische Motoren Werke." But be sure to pronounce it correctly.

or tell them it means "Blau Mit Weiss" (I saw this in the latest issue of Roundel somewhere... got a good chuckle from it) :)

berford
09-04-2003, 12:22 PM
or tell them it means "Blau Mit Weiss" (I saw this in the latest issue of Roundel somewhere... got a good chuckle from it) :)

Yeah, that works, too.

tennisjazz
12-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Bimmer or Beemer?

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/reference/bimmer-beemer.aspthanks chazzy.
the link is [now]: http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/reference/Bimmer-Beemer.aspx

Crawlings
12-13-2005, 11:34 AM

Furthermore a lot of peope also used the moniker "bimwah" probably in deference to the way a German might pronounce the letters perhaps.

Ultimately who cares, the magazine did not make a typo. Until such time as BMWUSA or BMWAG come out with some official notification it doesn't matter

BMW pronounced in Deutsch is 'bay' 'emm' 'vay', sounds nothing like bimwah

SmoothCruise
12-13-2005, 11:44 AM

Right, and to poke fun at the Pedantic School of BMW, 'bimmer' in my town was a slang term for someone who worked for IBM.

///M3lissa
12-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Or perhaps not everyone is so fixated on the appropriate use of slang names for their cars. I realise that the bimmer/beamer/beemer debate makes for hours of endless discussion on this forum but I suspect many others don't really care.

You have just been proven correct
:thumbup:

WAM
12-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Ah Man... We don't have no time for the facts..
Were trying to have a stupid argument here!

Damn right, this issue is central to the core of our existence as a BMW community! :D :D

As for all you naysayers who say nobody cares, get with the program dammit! :D

Edit: Let's see how many pages this thread can spawn

Sheepdg
12-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Cheers,

Brian

-2 Sp

Er..... They live for this stuff.

editorial comment :lmao:

Rmart
12-13-2005, 04:35 PM

I agree. Most people call BMW cars "Beemers". It is the defacto name regardless of what the cranky purists claim.

Malibubimmer
12-13-2005, 06:28 PM
I agree. Most people call BMW cars "Beemers". It is the defacto name regardless of what the cranky purists claim.
Not me. I call them "Ralph."

Just to add to the confusion, I have called them "Bee Ems" since the 1970s. I don't know why, but people looked at me funny when I told them I drove a "Bee Em."

bmw325
12-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Not me. I call them "Ralph."

Just to add to the confusion, I have called them "Bee Ems" since the 1970s. I don't know why, but people looked at me funny when I told them I drove a "Bee Em."

I think that's what the Brits call them...

Plaz
12-13-2005, 07:06 PM
I don't know why, but people looked at me funny when I told them I drove a "Bee Em."

Because they probably thought you said you drove a bowel movement. :rofl:

bten
12-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Because they probably thought you said you drove a bowel movement. :rofl::bustingup

bcausseaux
12-13-2005, 08:26 PM
:clap: That was the best thing I have heard all day :)

Malibubimmer
12-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Because they probably thought you said you drove a bowel movement. :rofl:
Glad you got the joke. How long did it take?

The Brits do call them Bee Ems. And, insufferably upper middle class Brits (who think they are superior to everybody, including Toffs) use the initials B M W for other meanings, some of them not nice.

Captain Obvious
12-15-2005, 12:54 PM
OK, so according to what seems to be an official BMW car club chapter, which I'll take as slightly more authoritative than some random Internet poster, we can see the following from "A Very Highly Placed BMW Spokesperson":

They can't point to "any official document" to explain the Beemer vs. Bimmer thing
"In theory, one could apply Beemer to either cars or bikes since it is only a reference to the name BMW"

That's a long way of saying: there is no official right or wrong answer when it comes to using Beemer vs Bimmer when talking about cars, and the closest thing to official is that you could apply Beemer to cars since it's just a reference to the manufacturer name.

So for the so-called purists, quit telling people they are wrong to call BMW cars "Beemers", since they are not wrong.

By the way, I've had six Beemers, and my latest, a 545i, is a great car :p

berford
12-15-2005, 01:00 PM
OK, so according to what seems to be an official BMW car club chapter, which I'll take as slightly more authoritative than some random Internet poster, we can see the following from "A Very Highly Placed BMW Spokesperson":

They can't point to "any official document" to explain the Beemer vs. Bimmer thing
"In theory, one could apply Beemer to either cars or bikes since it is only a reference to the name BMW"

That's a long way of saying: there is no official right or wrong answer when it comes to using Beemer vs Bimmer when talking about cars, and the closest thing to official is that you could apply Beemer to cars since it's just a reference to the manufacturer name.

So for the so-called purists, quit telling people they are wrong to call BMW cars "Beemers", since they are not wrong.

By the way, I've had six Beemers, and my latest, a 545i, is a great car :p
Do you post on BEEMERFEST. Nuff said. QED

Mels325
12-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Let's worry about the things that stop our cars, cause those are actually in the dictionary.
They're called BRAKES folks. :banghead: and you have a BRAKE warning light. That little lever between your seats? It's called a parking BRAKE handle.
If the BRAKES get broken you might run into something along side the road and BREAK your
BEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMER :angel:

Potato, pa tah toe
Ant, awwwnnt
park pahk
linda, linder
Lets call the whole thing off :beerchug:

doeboy
12-15-2005, 02:07 PM
This thread sucks. :thumbdwn:

berford
12-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Let's worry about the things that stop our cars, cause those are actually in the dictionary.
They're called BRAKES folks. :banghead: and you have a BRAKE warning light. That little lever between your seats? It's called a parking BRAKE handle.
If the BRAKES get broken you might run into something along side the road and BREAK your
BEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMER :angel:
Last time I looked this was neither the break or the brake forum. Just what are you reacting to, Mel?

Mels325
12-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Last time I looked this was neither the break or the brake forum. Just what are you reacting to, Mel?
Actually it's Dave :hi:, Mel is my wife (and she IS a she... always has been and always will be ;) ).
Just trying (maybe in vain) to be light hearted. I've noticed in the E36 area a lot of questions about break lights and such. I probably cring as much when I see this as much as the purists do when I pronounce it Beeeemmer. :dunno:

berford
12-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Actually it's Dave :hi:, Mel is my wife (and she IS a she... always has been and always will be ;) ).
Just trying (maybe in vain) to be light hearted. I've noticed in the E36 area a lot of questions about break lights and such. I probably cring as much when I see this as much as the purists do when I pronounce it Beeeemmer. :dunno:
Perhaps they meant "brake"...sort of like you meant "cringe" Just fooling with ya, Dave. Say hi to Mel for me.

andy_thomas
12-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Glad you got the joke. How long did it take?

The Brits do call them Bee Ems. And, insufferably upper middle class Brits (who think they are superior to everybody, including Toffs) use the initials B M W for other meanings, some of them not nice.
Indeed. The "Toffs", of course, wouldn't use "BM" to describe a bowel movement; they would just say "****" like everybody else. Oh wait, that probably won't come out, will it :)

"Bimmer" is mostly unheard of in the UK, it's true. No-one knows what you're talking about.

Mels325
12-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Perhaps they meant "brake"...sort of like you meant "cringe"
:doh:
That's gonna leave a mark :ouch:
:)

berford
12-16-2005, 06:04 PM
:doh:
That's gonna leave a mark :ouch:
:)
Tee hee. You'll get over it, I'm sure.

RCNet
12-16-2005, 07:34 PM
The company I work for has a facility just South of Stuttgart (nope, it's not MB in Sindelfingen). My German friends there laugh everytime someone from the US calls a BMW a "beemer" because that is the term for LCD projectors (beamers). Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard them refer to the cars any other way than simply BMWs.

RCNet

Ishniknork
12-16-2005, 08:25 PM
If it's a 2-wheeler it's a Beemer...
If it's a 4-rimmer it's a Bimmer...

Brian Randell
12-17-2005, 06:04 PM
-2 Sp

Er..... They live for this stuff.

editorial comment :lmao:

LOL! :ouch:

On the Internet, eveyone knows you can't spell. ;)

Brian

Malibubimmer
12-17-2005, 10:41 PM
LOL! :ouch:

On the Internet, eveyone knows you can't spell. ;)

Brian
Speek fore yourselph.

Cowboy Bebop
12-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Squeeze me! :yikes:

It's spoken.. like it's written.. BIMMER!

Traditionally, the Bavarian Motor Works product line has been referred to as:
Automobiles = “BIMMERS”
Motorcycles = “BEEMERS”

It was the “yuppies” of the 80’s that polluted this and obviously some of that pollution has stuck. Call them what ever you like but be ready for the snickers if you call a M3 a “Beemer” at a club event!

Should have never seen this in a BMW magazine and I’m betting there will be letters a plenty on it. I’ll also wager that the author sees it as an error! JMHO

uh, not to put too fine a point on it...

"according to Rob Mitchell, director of corporate communications for BMW, the nickname for a car made by BMW is "Beemer" (never "Beamer"), first used with BMW motorcycles. "Bimmer" (pronounced the way it looks) is a frequently used (and acceptable) alternative."

I'm just saying...

bimmer7
12-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Speek fore yourselph.

:loco: