PDA

View Full Version : Best contemporary BMW!?

rost12
08-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Z8 or M3 CSL... :drive:

http://members.roadfly.org/kbk/TOYS2.JPG

'Cane
08-23-2003, 09:10 PM
I'd give my left nut for a Z8!

The Roadstergal
08-23-2003, 10:49 PM
Neither, you idiot. ;) The Z8 isn't a contemporary BMW anymore, only the Alpina Z8 roadster. Too much money, too much worry-about-what-will-happen-to-it factor, which would prevent me from driving it hard. Too big for me. If I want to go fast, I'll buy a cheaper car and mod it. And spend the money saved on track schools. :)

The Z8's pretty, but I like other people to worry about owning it so I can freely ogle. :D

The Roadstergal
08-23-2003, 10:50 PM
I'd give my left nut for a Z8!

Who would trade you a Z8 for a nut? :confused:

'Cane
08-23-2003, 11:14 PM
Who would trade you a Z8 for a nut? :confused:
I don't know, squirrell maybe? :dunno:

rost12
08-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Neither, you idiot. ;) The Z8 isn't a contemporary BMW anymore, only the Alpina Z8 roadster. Too much money, too much worry-about-what-will-happen-to-it factor, which would prevent me from driving it hard. Too big for me. If I want to go fast, I'll buy a cheaper car and mod it. And spend the money saved on track schools. :)

The Z8's pretty, but I like other people to worry about owning it so I can freely ogle. :D

Contemporary, in MY vocabulary, means something produced within +/-5 years from today :p Nit-picker...

I don't have enough money to own one either (otherwise I would), but I can certainly imagine driving it like a proper BMW should be driven...DSC off, sport mode on, WOT, the whole shebang :p

And since it's more of a GT and every day car than track-ready CSL...it got my vote :thumbup:

Alex Baumann
08-24-2003, 09:04 AM
Don't what others think, but the CSL doesn't say a lot to me :dunno:

rost12
08-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Don't what others think, but the CSL doesn't say a lot to me :dunno:

What do you mean? Not exciting enough?

Alex Baumann
08-24-2003, 09:34 AM
What do you mean? Not exciting enough?

Only if you are going to use it on the track. Otherwise the price difference to a regular M3 is ridiculously high for street use.

Tanning machine
08-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Only if you are going to use it on the track. Otherwise the price difference to a regular M3 is ridiculously high for street use.

Yep. Kind of calls into question what's meant by "best". Seems to be the M3 (non-CSL) is a better car in that for a lot less money you get close to the same performance, plus the creature comforts that most drivers want in an every-day vehicle.

And why not throw the M5 into the mix? Sacrifice a bit of performance vis-a-vis the M3, but you get more room, 4 doors (for family living), and something even less frequently seen.

So, maybe we should define best in the following way:

What BMW (produced in the last couple of years) would you choose if given one free BMW and could not have another one for the rest of the time? (And you can't sell the Z8 to buy an M3 and a 540).

I would take the M3 cabrio or the M5.

JetBlack330i
08-24-2003, 11:28 AM
I think the purpose of the post is to show off the picture.
Excellent picture, btw.
Who took it? How did you get it?

tgravo2
08-24-2003, 12:58 PM
M3 CSL

:D

The Roadstergal
08-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Even the M3 isn't a great street car, MHO. A 325 or 330 will get better gas mileage, and for 90% of the street driving most people do, you can't tell the difference. I go by Porsches and E46 M3s on my commute - if you're not using that power, why bother?

Brian Randell
08-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Z8 or M3 CSL... :drive:

I'd have to say the M5 but I'm biased. :p

Cheers,

Brian

rost12
08-24-2003, 03:18 PM
I think the purpose of the post is to show off the picture.
Excellent picture, btw.
Who took it? How did you get it?

An owner of those cars took it. And that's not me :/ Found it on roadfly's Z8 forum.

rost12
08-24-2003, 03:19 PM
I specifically did not include "regular" M cars... M3 CSL and a Z8 represent a somewhat limited production, rare BMWs. And yeah, my definition of "best" did not include "best for the money" factor :)

The Roadstergal
08-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Flame away, but is there anything the Z8 does best - or even very well - for the money other than impress the neighbors?

rost12
08-24-2003, 03:38 PM
Even the M3 isn't a great street car, MHO. A 325 or 330 will get better gas mileage, and for 90% of the street driving most people do, you can't tell the difference. I go by Porsches and E46 M3s on my commute - if you're not using that power, why bother?

The fact that we're not going WOT all the time does not mean that we don't appreciate the power. Or the handling. Or the brakes. Or the exclusivity (I know, I know) of our cars :p

I miss my 325s handling, but I would never give up my M5 for it :p

rost12
08-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Flame away, but is there anything the Z8 does best - or even very well - for the money other than impress the neighbors?

Gives you a modern classic collectible car that also doubles the driving pleasure of an M5. And looks awesome in the process.

Trust me, SL55 is a MUCH more of a poseur. Z8 owners have to somewhat interested in driving, even if due to manual gearbox.

JetBlack330i
08-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Impress the neighbors is the Z8's primary goal.
What else is there that matters (given the price)?

rost12
08-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Did you guys buy your cars to impress your neighbours? Why do you think that others bought their cars to do just that?

So what if somebody's car is more expensive, geez.

JetBlack330i
08-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Did you guys buy your cars to impress your neighbours? Why do you think that others bought their cars to do just that?
So what if somebody's car is more expensive, geez.
Oh c'mon. You're not really saying that a Z8 is a daily driver to office.
Do you know for a fact that the owner of that particular Z8 uses it as a daily driver?
The primary goal of the Z8 is the exclusivity and status that it affords the owner. Impressing the neighbors comes with that goal (effectiveness clearly depends on what kind of neighbors the owner has).
You misunderstood me. My point is that there's nothing wrong with that (impressing the neighbors).

Patrick
08-25-2003, 10:29 AM

I bought my Lada to DEPRESS my neighbors. I believe that it is working.

:eek:

-

The Roadstergal
08-25-2003, 10:43 AM
-

:rofl:

rost12
08-25-2003, 12:54 PM

:eek:

-

:bustingup

You're a funny guy, Mr. Fin :)

Patrick
08-25-2003, 12:59 PM
:bustingup

You're a funny guy, Mr. Fin :)

That's FINN, Mr Ryssä! Perkele, Veli Venäläinen! :D

Hey WTF? Aren't you supposed to be headed to a city near me sometime soon? Like today? :dunno:

If I wasn't so busy, I would drive over, or fly over or train over or whatever, and come to have a (cough) drink with you!

-

rost12
08-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Oh c'mon. You're not really saying that a Z8 is a daily driver to office.
Do you know for a fact that the owner of that particular Z8 uses it as a daily driver?
The primary goal of the Z8 is the exclusivity and status that it affords the owner. Impressing the neighbors comes with that goal (effectiveness clearly depends on what kind of neighbors the owner has).

For some, Z8 is a daily driver. At least 4(!) people on roadfly fessed up
:eeps:

rost12
08-25-2003, 01:03 PM
That's FINN, Mr Ryssä! Perkele, Veli Venäläinen! :D

Hey WTF? Aren't you supposed to be headed to a city near me sometime soon? Like today? :dunno:

If I wasn't so busy, I would drive over, or fly over or train over or whatever, and come to have a (cough) drink with you!

-

Pardon my french, mister :p

My flight is 4 hours away. I'm all packed up and I haven't slept at all.
I'm scared :eeps:

You know, there are enough drinking buddies among my friends...I need someone sober to slap me once in a while :)

rost12
08-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Oh, and my M is in getting my cell-phone installation working...unless they fix it within and hour, it's gonna stay there for the whoooole week....Mah babbyyyyy! :bawling:

Btw, I'm thinking of going to UK this christmas... If I do, I'll have to give you a call, maybe you'll be somewhere close...Europe is sooo small :p

Patrick
08-25-2003, 01:06 PM
Pardon my french, mister :p

My flight is 4 hours away. I'm all packed up and I haven't spelt at all.
I'm scared :eeps:

You know, there are enough drinking buddies among my friends...I need someone sober to slap me once in a while :)

:D Nyet problem.

How are you getting over here? Where are you going?

I am sure that you have nothing to fear ... :eeps:

But the weather might piss you off. Fall is on its way with speed.

I have three groups going to SPb in the next week ... maybe I will have to surprise you! :D

-

rost12
08-25-2003, 01:07 PM
:irate:

M is not going to be ready today.

:bawling:

rost12
08-25-2003, 01:12 PM
:D Nyet problem.

How are you getting over here? Where are you going?

I am sure that you have nothing to fear ... :eeps:

But the weather might piss you off. Fall is on its way with speed.

I have three groups going to SPb in the next week ... maybe I will have to surprise you! :D

-

Flying to Moscow, then one hour flight south west to Rostov-na-Donu! What about the weather? Cold? That's good! I'm gonna be wearing a suit for the first time in 5(!) years, I wouldn't want to be sweating too :)

Surprise...like a slap on the head when I'm least expecting it? Be careful, I might fight back in my state of drunkenness :p

Patrick
08-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Btw, I'm thinking of going to UK this christmas... If I do, I'll have to give you a call, maybe you'll be somewhere close...Europe is sooo small :p

Hmmm. London in late November — I have tickets to see Chelsea play.

I have a feeling that I may be in Seattle for Christmas — and possibly in Montreal to see an ice hockey game or three after that. :eeps:

Europe small? :confused:

-

Patrick
08-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Flying to Moscow, then one hour flight south west to Rostov-na-Donu! What about the weather? Cold? That's good! I'm gonna be wearing a suit for the first time in 5(!) years, I wouldn't want to be sweating too :)

Surprise...like a slap on the head when I'm least expecting it? Be careful, I might fight back in my state of drunkenness :p

Ok, if you are that far south, you have no worries. It has been between 16-22°C in Mockba for the last 5 days.

Would that be JFK to Sheremetevo on AEROFLOT? :eek:

If so, I understand the fear factor! :D

-

rost12
08-25-2003, 01:22 PM
Hmmm. London in late November — I have tickets to see Chelsea play.

I have a feeling that I may be in Seattle for Christmas — and possibly in Montreal to see an ice hockey game or three after that. :eeps:

Europe small? :confused:

-

Ugh. Sports :confused:

"Europe small" - I was making fun of my "I'm gonna be in UK, we'll meet up" comment. I though it was funny :p

The Roadstergal
08-25-2003, 01:24 PM
I need someone sober to slap me once in a while :)

:slap:

rost12
08-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Ok, if you are that far south, you have no worries. It has been between 16-22°C in Mockba for the last 5 days.

Would that be JFK to Sheremetevo on AEROFLOT? :eek:

If so, I understand the fear factor! :D

-

JFK? I'm a Canadian (almost)! It's Pearson for me :) And yeah, by Aeroflot... I'm not worried about the flight much, I'm worried about "refreshing" friendship with people who I haven't seen for 2 years now...

And yeah, I'm that far south, so I don't worry about the weather but I do worry about Chechniya and all that bra-haha :/

The Roadstergal
08-25-2003, 01:25 PM
I have a feeling that I may be in Seattle for Christmas

:clap:

Come say hi!

rost12
08-25-2003, 01:25 PM
:slap:

/me looks at Rgal's avatar/
You don't look sober to me ... :confused:

The Roadstergal
08-25-2003, 01:31 PM
/me looks at Rgal's avatar/
You don't look sober to me ... :confused:

I don't want to know what I might do if I ever did get drunk.... :eeps:

Patrick
08-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Ugh. Sports :confused:

"Europe small" - I was making fun of my "I'm gonna be in UK, we'll meet up" comment. I though it was funny :p

Yes, sports. Mr Roman Abramovich is making waves in London!

The scariest sports event that I have been to was a football game in the Russian A League, in Mockba, Dynamo vs some team from far, far away. Police everywhere, fights everywhere ... general ugliness. It was worse than being at the LA Coliseum and seeing the Raiders play an American Football game. And I think that we accidentally parked our car in Watts. Oops.

London is 2h from here, SPb (by train) 8h, Moscow (Finnair) 4h. HAMBURG by car 20h ... but then there is the problem of who drives me back to Finland! :eek:

-

rost12
08-25-2003, 01:34 PM
I don't want to know what I might do if I ever did get drunk.... :eeps:

But I do...now :)

rost12
08-25-2003, 01:39 PM
Yes, sports. Mr Roman Abramovich is making waves in London!

And he's getting lot's attention from UKs law enforcement agencies in the process, I hear :)

I'm gonna log off now. Final stage of pre-final-pre-flight check check check thingy. If I don't ever come back, you all will know why. I got drunk, got married and forgot all about the internet due to the never ceasing stream of slaps from RGal.

:hi:

Patrick
08-25-2003, 01:39 PM
JFK? I'm a Canadian (almost)! It's Pearson for me :) And yeah, by Aeroflot... I'm not worried about the flight much, I'm worried about "refreshing" friendship with people who I haven't seen for 2 years now...

And yeah, I'm that far south, so I don't worry about the weather but I do worry about Chechniya and all that bra-haha :/

I meant Toronto to JFK to Sheremetyevo ...

Aye, AEROFLOT. Well, it's an Airbus at least! :D

Undoubtedly, your friends will be pleased to see you! But good luck with the southern "locals."

I had a group of 278 university students from 61 countries in Moscow when that theater hostage seige took place. That was at least (Alex check my math) 556 worried parents in many time zones calling me at all hours. Quite a trip ...

Well, by the time you return, your M will be ready! Now you just need the damn phone!! S55 is 300 EUR here ...

-

Alex Baumann
08-25-2003, 01:41 PM
That was at least (Alex check my math)

-

you're scaring me :eek: It's unfortunately correct !

Patrick
08-25-2003, 01:45 PM
you're scaring me :eek: It's unfortunately correct !

I asked Mira for help ...

Doesn't she look like a math brain?

Crayfish party ... :eeps:

-

Patrick
08-25-2003, 01:47 PM
:clap:

Come say hi!

Of course!

-